MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Doom metal (all the sub-genres)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 3:49pm
Knowing your tastes, these are my biggest two recommendations to you:

Sacrilege's Turn Back Trilobite:

The band's first two albums are amazing crushing thrash, but then made one of my all time favorite doom metal albums with this one. You can still tell the band's origins though, as there is the occasional thrash riff. Sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mcDT-0LbVA (Father Time)

Witch Charmer:

These guys are more stoner than doom, but I think you would really like them as they're a bit like early Blood Ceremony in some ways. Sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R3-KAyuQ00 (A Watching of Wolves)

I could recommend tons more, but these are the two favorites of mine that first came to mind.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I'm thinking that I need to get more acquainted with doom metal. Anyone feel like recommending me a few bands to try out?

Here's a few bands to check out..

Trouble - many good ones but could try most recent one The Distortion Field
Witch Mountain  for some bluesy doom.
Sorceror -  In The Shadow Of The Inverted Cross
Cathedral - The Ethereal Mirror  (stoner/doom)
Saint Vitus - Die Healing
With The Dead - only have one album with a second on the way
Solitude Aeturnus - Downfall

Edited by Nightfly - 04 Aug 2017 at 4:19pm
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 1:47pm
This is brilliant!...

Edited by Nightfly - 06 Aug 2017 at 1:50pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 4:26am
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've started checking them out this morning.

Couldn't find the Sacrilege album on Spotify so I'll try looking elsewhere later. 

Witch Charmer didn't grab me after one track for some reason, so I moved onto Trouble. I listened to The Distortion Field first, which to be honest sounds more like a stoner metal album to me. I enjoyed it to a point but it didn't grab me too much. I've now moved onto their debut Psalm 9, which I'm enjoying a lot more. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 12:02pm
The With the Dead album didn't do much for me unfortunately. On the other hand I've been really digging Witch Mountain and listened to three of their albums today. Solitude Aeturnus was good too. I know I've heard some of their stuff before but I don't think a full album. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 12:04pm
Any recommendations from death-doom and/or funeral doom?
GG2U

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 12:23pm

For funeral doom I would DEFINITELY say Esoteric! Some other ones would be Monolithe and Ahab. I haven't listened to too much funeral doom myself. Need to fix that.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Psydye Psydye wrote:

For funeral doom I would DEFINITELY say Esoteric! Some other ones would be Monolithe and Ahab. I haven't listened to too much funeral doom myself. Need to fix that.

Esoteric is essential listening, and I'd also add Skepticism's Stormcrowfleet to that list.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 12:57pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've started checking them out this morning.

Couldn't find the Sacrilege album on Spotify so I'll try looking elsewhere later. 

The full album is on Youtube here:

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 2:26pm

Although they are primarily a death metal band Asphyx incorporate doom into their music and well worth checking out if you haven't already.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 2:32am
I checked out an Evoken album last night. Atra Mors. I really liked that one. Seemed like the doom metal answer to atmospheric black metal. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 8:28am
Listened to Esoteric's The Maniacal Vale. Mammoth release so it didn't completely click instantly but I will be checking that band out more. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 9:00am
Also enjoyed this one which I got cheap off of ebay. Recommend it. The style is fairly atmospheric but non-funeral death-doom. I actually had one of their other albums as a promo a while back but overlooked it which based on this one was probably a mistake. 

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/eye-of-solitude/sui-caedere
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 9:36am
Nearing the end of this one:

This was a bit different to the other funeral doom I've tried so far because the vocals are female rather than growled and it has dark folk influences, no doubt due to the presence of VĂ li on guitar, whose album Forlatt is highly regarded in the dark folk genre. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

I'd also add Skepticism's Stormcrowfleet to that list.

I listened to this today but came away wondering what all the fuss over it is about. I know it's very highly regarded, but it came over as a very boring release to me after enjoying Evoken, Esoteric and Skumring from the funeral doom genre. Maybe it's supposed to be a slow burner but it really hasn't left me with any desire to listen to it again. Ouch
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 4:02pm

I checked out an Evoken album last night. Atra Mors. I really liked that one. Seemed like the doom metal answer to atmospheric black metal. 

Yes, I have that album and it's a good one. I can normally only take funeral doom in small doses. I've never got round to checking out the rest of their stuff.

Ahab are probably my favourite funeral doom band.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 4:05pm

Listened to Esoteric's The Maniacal Vale. Mammoth release so it didn't completely click instantly but I will be checking that band out more. 

Esoteric have never clicked with me either. I feel like I should give them another go considering how highly regarded they are.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 5:50am
Very good first impressions here, moreso than any other Paradise Lost album I've heard so far even:

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/paradise-lost/medusa
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 7:48am
^ I was pretty impressed too. Too early to tell if I like it as much as The Plague Within which was also very good.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 7:57am
I still need to hear that one, most of their discography actually. I've had One Second and In Requiem for a while now, having found them in a second hand shop and I got Draconian Times and the Reflection compilation in that big job lot of CDs I bought recently. Don't know their other work yet. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic