MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Doom metal (all the sub-genres)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renkls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 7:03am
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 7:39pm
New Evoken track.  I'm pretty sure I'm the only fan of them here despite Antithesis of Light being in the doom top 12, but if you want godly death doom/funeral doom metal, listen to this track, then listen to Antithesis of Light, then everything else by Evoken.

Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

New Evoken track.  I'm pretty sure I'm the only fan of them here despite Antithesis of Light being in the doom top 12, but if you want godly death doom/funeral doom metal, listen to this track, then listen to Antithesis of Light, then everything else by Evoken.

Actually, this might be one of the best Evoken songs I've ever heard.  I'm really hyped for this album.Big smile
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 7:04pm

Actually, this might be one of the best Evoken songs I've ever heard.  I'm really hyped for this album.Big smile

More awesomeness:

This has an excellent chance of making album of the year. Bowdown
Doomster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doomster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 7:57pm
My favorite doom bands...?

Saint Vitus, and Trouble! Witchfinder General! Count Raven, the Obsessed, and Pentagram! Solitude Eternus! And Candlemass! Penance, Revalation, Solstice and Iron Man! Mirror of Deception, and Pagan Altar! Cirith Ungol, Exitus and Scald! Eternal Void, Paul Chain and Warning! Unorthodox, Cathedral, and Cold Mourning! While Heaven Wept, and Minotauris! Dawn of Winter, Spiritus Mortis! Electric Wizard, Confessor, Stillborn! Solomon Kane, Orodruid and Mourn!
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Doomster Doomster wrote:

My favorite doom bands...?

Saint Vitus, and Trouble! Witchfinder General! Count Raven, the Obsessed, and Pentagram! Solitude Eternus! And Candlemass! Penance, Revalation, Solstice and Iron Man! Mirror of Deception, and Pagan Altar! Cirith Ungol, Exitus and Scald! Eternal Void, Paul Chain and Warning! Unorthodox, Cathedral, and Cold Mourning! While Heaven Wept, and Minotauris! Dawn of Winter, Spiritus Mortis! Electric Wizard, Confessor, Stillborn! Solomon Kane, Orodruid and Mourn!

yo dawg i heard you liked doom metal
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 8:39pm

More awesomeness:

This has an excellent chance of making album of the year. Bowdown

And now, it's here.

Jd_Wheels View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jd_Wheels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2012 at 8:13pm
Anyone... you have to check out the new Pale Divine album...  it may not be completely traditional Doom in some ways, but as as encompassing Doom album - it is one of my favorites for 2012 right now.   Melodic, heavy as lead and has breathed life into their career.
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 2:43pm
I have been listening to a lot of Ahab recently although I am not a huge fan of Funeral Doom. I have all three full length albums on coloured vinyl and would rate then all 4 or 4.5*'s
renkls View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renkls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 7:05am
Funeral doom/progressive metal band Monolithe are streaming their latest, 52 minute epic track, Monolithe III:
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 6:47am

Somebody else needs to listen to this album before the month of November is over.
O Lodger! View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O Lodger! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 7:37am
Not mentioned yet:
- Witch Mountain: Classic doom with bluesy female vocals
- Funeral: Like it says on the tin
- Ahab: very good; very heavy
- Earth: doesn't get much slower
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by O Lodger! O Lodger! wrote:

Not mentioned yet:
- Witch Mountain: Classic doom with bluesy female vocals
- Funeral: Like it says on the tin
- Ahab: very good; very heavy
- Earth: doesn't get much slower

Earth and Ahab get mentioned in cartain places elsewhere on the board.  As for Funeral, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one here who's into them.
Jd_Wheels View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jd_Wheels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 10:44pm
Witch Mountain.... cool.  Just writing the review for them, gotta say that I love them.  Perfect blending of Blues, Doom and a wee bit of  twisted 70's Stoner stuff mashed in.  

I have been re listening to a older band called Izah... a Doom based band  from the cold climbs of the Netherlands with some hardcore and death thrown into the mix to make for a nasty release  This band may not be everyone's cup of tea... but for this old doomer -  damn this was a very impressive and intriguing CD.  

I reviewed this self titled EP in '10 for Metalbite... and I gave it a rating of 9.2 out of 10, as I was blown away by a band that was barbarically heavy and yet has such a way with the lyrics as well.  As of today, I think I have low balled it a touch.  Would give this album from Izah today a 9.7.  It is as brilliant as it is hugely heavy.  

JD
Jd_Wheels View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jd_Wheels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 6:32pm
Have I got a band for you.... The Prophecy. 

This UK band pulls no punches, giving you five amazing tracks of doom that is tinged with smatterings of Death metal attack.  After Into the light... this is the perfect follow up.

Somber, introspective while being heavy, this band oozes with talent that is only matched by the darkness woven lyrics that takes you on a trip into a the darker sides of Christian beliefs - and yet there is more to offer than this. The album title 'Salvation' lures you in, and shows that perhaps you'd might never be saved- or maybe you can.  The lyrics do explore that... and more

I found myself listening to the album over and over again, and finding more and more of it that I liked in the process - and that is no small feat.  Cant really get much better... Candlemass are the gods in this genre, but I think The Prophecy is one of the bands that just might challenge the slow motion kings from Sweden..
Jd_Wheels View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jd_Wheels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 1:45pm
Hungarian Doom Masters Wall of Sleep is the band that Black Sabbath would be if they came out nowadays...  and yet they are their own bestial invention with all the hallmarks of pure originality - mixing low and powerful Traditional Doom Metal chugging with shadings of classic NWOBHM sounds.

Slow and very introspective in every way, the band shows intelligence that is refreshing as well as perfect in the framework of the music.  Even though the album, When Mountain Roar, was released back in 2011 -  this one is a must have at all cost for any Doom Fan.

Wall of Sleep will excite you... and not put you to 'sleep'.

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Jd_Wheels Jd_Wheels wrote:

Have I got a band for you.... The Prophecy. 

This UK band pulls no punches, giving you five amazing tracks of doom that is tinged with smatterings of Death metal attack.  After Into the light... this is the perfect follow up.

Somber, introspective while being heavy, this band oozes with talent that is only matched by the darkness woven lyrics that takes you on a trip into a the darker sides of Christian beliefs - and yet there is more to offer than this. The album title 'Salvation' lures you in, and shows that perhaps you'd might never be saved- or maybe you can.  The lyrics do explore that... and more

I found myself listening to the album over and over again, and finding more and more of it that I liked in the process - and that is no small feat.  Cant really get much better... Candlemass are the gods in this genre, but I think The Prophecy is one of the bands that just might challenge the slow motion kings from Sweden..

I was about to make a post about them here. I'm only familiar with Salvation, but that album fucking rules. I've been enjoying the hell out of it lately!
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 9:31pm
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/disembowelment--mp3.aspx?id=2911

Those of you claiming to be doom metal fans obviously have listened to Transcending the Peripheral in all its shining glory right?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 1:05am
^I�ve actually had it on steady rotation for the last couple of weeks. I have a review written too, but it�s in backlog. Great, great albumHeadbanger . Very unconventional for it�s time...

Edited by UMUR - 22 Mar 2013 at 1:31am
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 8:30pm
I recently got my hands on the diSEMBOWELMENT 2 disc compilation.  Disc 1 is the entire Transcendence Into the Peripheral album, while disc 2 is a mixture of stuff including the Dusk EP and some other stuff.

Of course, disc 1 has been getting more attention from me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic