Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Proto Metal Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 3:20pm
Some of that stuff is very interesting Thumbs Up I might look into some more of this stuff Tongue

Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 2:07am
Today's selection involves a guitarist you may have heard of, who is more famous for progressive rock and lute music - and starts with a few completely non-metal songs - but check out the guitar playing.

Just to reassure you, this is the lightest any of the proto metal bands gets - nevertheless, I think they're an important part of metal's history.

In the early 1960s, the guitarist of this proto metal band was a member of The Cellar Rockers - who sounded like this (clean-edged, pure rock and roll):

...before they disbanded, they tried again under the moniker The Hunters, in 1966, with a little success - again, check out the guitar playing and interesting use of modes to conjure a Russian flavour here:

The guitarist in question then released a solo album entitled "Talent For Sale":

The only song I could find on YouTube is "Revival of The Cat" - so here it is, but there's not much metal interest - it's a very soulful song - but with great guitar playing:

All of these are a pretty surprising prelude to the might of his next project, the mighty Brainbox: - and this was all on their debut album released in 1969. The rest of the album isn't even vaguely metallic, just really well played, progressive music with an interesting fusion of hard rock and soul.

The next installments will be far more metallic - not to mention scary - so hang on in there! Cool
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 3:35am

This act took their name from Dracula author Bram Stoker, which really meant that use of the Hammond in one of its more Gothic sounding registers was pretty much compulsory.

The music suggests more of a kind of wannabe Prog Rock act than a Metal group - but they're certainly sharper edged than Atomic Rooster, and strongly in the Heep mould - even if it in is a kind of Heep meets Ekseption vein...

So let's uncloak the music, take a bite and stop the Vampire jokes right now.

Fast Decay

Blitz

My personal favourite: Poltergeist

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 7:35am
^ That was cool. I was a bit surprised to find them on PA in Prog-Related instead of a full-blown prog category (like Heavy Prog). 
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 3:23am
Today's slightly less obscure act have the least metal name I can think of - Bubble Puppy.

Nevertheless, they followed hot on the heels of heavy psych band 13th Floor Elevators, taking the psychedelic sound into the new dawn (or is it sunset?) of hard rock, and the smelting-pot for heavy metal.

The riffs are really crunchy and metallic to kick this song off -  but the contrasting smooth vocals and bluesy soloing are a little off-kilter. Fortunately the heavy riffs make re-appearances. This is "proto", after all - and 1969 is before Black Sabbath (just!), and the second example contains some nice structural approaches and modal soloing.

Their other heavy tune is this one;

Pavlos View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pavlos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 8:41am
Oh master, will we ever see more material, or are we forever doomed to suffer without new protometal postings?!?!

In other words: I WANT MORE!!!!!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 9:22am
LOLI guess you got some demanding fans there Mark. Great to see so much interest in this thread
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 12:55pm

My apologies - work has been exceptionally demanding of late - and I have been casting the net further and deeper in my search for the wierd, wonderful and wacked-out warriors of proto metal.

Fear not, normal service will resume in this thread - for the time being, check the ever-growing proto metal database; http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/proto-metal(subgenre).aspx

(scroll right down for a continually updating list - almost every band has at least one vid for your enjoyment!)
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 1:56am
Thanks for hanging in there - it's great to know this thread has followers, so I'm going to dig deep and try to post here at least once a week in future.
Alphabetically, the next proto metal act is Budgie - but no need to feature them here, as everyone knows them. Oh, go on, here's "Crash Course in Brain Surgery", from their 1971 debut, produced by Black Sabbath and Judas Priest engineer of doom, Mr Rodger Bain.

Sadly, we in the UK had to wait until 1974's "In For The Kill" for this song, but the lucky Americans got it on the Kapp Records release.

Bang those heads.... NOW!!!

...and here's the ultra-heavy Guts for dessert. Yum!

Now let's move on to an Australian band who were heavier than heavy and hotter than hot, liquefying rock all around them until the molten metal flowed, burning away all the lesser acts - which was basically everyone else - but never really made it outside of Aus.

The band formed in 1971, from the remnants of an earlier act called Head, who had formed in 1968. Their coup de grace was blagging a support for Black Sabbath and a signing to Sabbath's label, Vertigo - which explains the extreme heaviness of their 1973 album "Volcanic Rock" - a MUST HEAR for any metal fan, IMHO, as it predates just about everyone except Sabbath.

As a point of interest, bass player Pete Wells went on to form the legendary Rose Tattoo.

From their 1972 debut "Dead Forever", here's BUFFALO;

From the devastatingly awesome "Volcanic Rock" of 1973;

...and the somewhat extremely un-politically correct "I Only Want You For Your Body"

Buffalo recorded 2 more albums, but they really couldn't compete with the earlier output;

"Mother's Choice" and "Average Rock 'n' Roller" are both attempts to make a commercial album, with sackings of creative but wild band members, and the disillusionment of the bass player.

Not bad, but the metal is no longer the driving element;

All 5 albums were re-issued on Aztec records in 2006, I believe - remastered from the original tapes, the works.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 2:49am
I've got 5 minutes, so here's another one;

This band didn't release their album back in the day - I'm always a little suspicious of posthumous releases, as modern remixing and mastering techniques tend to add a metallic sheen where there was none before. But in this case, Bulbous Creation have that "authentic" sound, as the production appears to be untampered, and some blissfully dark, metallic and even Satanic song titles and lyrics. I'm not sure how authentic the album title is, but "You Won't Remember Dying" has a great ring to it!

The album is mostly blues rock, but it's gems like these that stir the blood of proto-metal addicts everywhere - I mean, it was recorded in 1970, so it's not very likely that these guys had actually heard Black Sabbath, and yet...;

(does that sound a bit like "Dazed and Confused" or is it me?).

- a few Priestisms in that last one!

Edited by Certif1ed - 12 Apr 2011 at 2:56am
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 1:50am
Touted as a "Psychedelic blues band with significant prog leanings", with comparisons to all the well-known contemporary heavy bands - Heep, Purple, Led Zep and AR, Bull Angus are a blast out of the unknown past to most of us, despite releasing 2 LPs on the Mercury label.

They have a bit of a cult following - and it's not hard to hear why. Their musical style is rich and varied, with strong tinges of Grand Funk Railroad, and very melodic.

Although it's more hard rock than Proto metal, I wanted to share this one from their 1st LP simply because it kicks so much ass. Around 1:50 listen out for a brief flurry of twin guitar work that evokes Iron Maiden (the current band!);

There's something very dark and tingly about this next gen psychedelic number that evokes Sabbath in their "lighter", doomier moments;

The quality of the music never lets up for a second;

Their second album is easily as good as the first, everything is mashed up with other genres, with light jazz flurries, rich vocal harmonies and strong melodies;

...and the heavier stuff is still very, very present!

An awesome band - fully deserving of rescue from obscurity!

Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 2:06am
As a bonus, here are a couple of songs from Cactus and Captain Beyond, both of whom require little introduction to fans of classic rock, so are included in this thread merely for completeness!

Now that's what I call a double dose of HEAVY.

Edited by Certif1ed - 20 Apr 2011 at 2:07am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 2:21am
^Man I just love that debut album by Captain Beyond.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 2:16am
Here's a really, really odd one - and if it wasn't for the fact that the artist involved is American, it could be considered the first obscure NWoBHM single.

Captain Foam is the unlikely name of the hero of this single - the date of release1968 is suggested by most sources that actually attach a date to it. I find it hard to buy that from the sound of the production, the styling of the Picture Sleeve, but I've heard a few of the other undated singles released on that label, which sound far more like music from 1968. I'll put one or two of those below so you can verify it for yourself - the sound here really is that astonishing for the time.

Not much is known about our Captain, other than he was from Ohio, and was billed as a one-man band (although he included a drummer in his live sets, who was known as The Doctor - if he played all the instruments on the recording, then he was an unbelievably astonishing all-round musician. The suggestion is that he drafted in some session musicians - but no-one seems to know where he came from, or where he went afterwards, or even who he was...

Soundling strikingly like a metal version of Jefferson Airplane, with hints of Argent and Van Halen (1:05 - 1:30ish) the only single, No Reason is a real psychedelic curiosity with massive, bone-crushing riffs, defining the term "drenched in feedback".

The B-Side is far more chilled and mellow, but maintains a nice, melancholic tone that wouldn't be completely out of place on a Black Sabbath album - and continues in the Airplane mould, so perhaps the 1968 date isn't so far-fetched.

Whatever - here are both sides. Prepare to be destroyed utterly by the A-Side.

A: Side

B: Side

Johnny Holiday, also on Bold records (not metal, but it's totally kickin'!)

The Chylds - I couldn't find their only release on Bold records, #337 (Captain Foam's is 377) - but I found that they lasted until 1969, released several singles, and their drummer, Joe Vitale, who went on to play with Ted Nugent's band, The Amboy Dukes. Again, this is bangin' heavy funk - but the most compelling evidence for the jaw-dropping date that the Captain Foam single lays claim to.

Now scroll back and listen to "No Reason" again. How the funk did that monster get unleased on a psych/funk label? 

Who cares, it's un unsung legend!

...update...

Couldn't resist a little more digging into this one, and there's some meaty background;

(copied and pasted wholesale from http://www.buckeyebeat.com/lordrich.html

Lord Richie and the Mariners were considered wildest and rockin'est band in the (Canton) area, and had a huge following. Fronted by Richard Bertram, who was known as having the longest hair in NE Ohio band scene, the group played teen clubs from the Note in Ruggles Beach down to New Philadelphia.

Billy Rosenthal recalls - "They formed in early 65 and I saw them at the skating rink in downtown canton. About 6 months later my band, The Daytones, opened up before Lord Ritchie at the Southgate Shopping Center. By this time they had evolved into one of the wildest combos known to man . Standout songs were MYSTIC EYES, Down the Road Apiece, Mona, Route 66, Down Home Girl, the list goes on and on. They were by far the coolest band in our area, even the early Chylds could'nt touch this band." A Mariners gig would often end with the band smashing their gear a'la the Who, but word is they did it before Pete, Keith, and Roger.

To the best of our knowledge, the group never recorded, and certainly never issued a 45. After the group disbanded in '67, Richie adopted the "Captain Foam" moniker. See the Captain Foam entry for more details.

"'Captain Foam and the Doctor was a two piece band out of Canton from 1967 till probably around 70. Richard Bertram played all guitars and Mike O'brien was on drums. Ritchard previously had led Lord Ritchie and the Mariners, and Mike O'Brien had been in the Angry and The 18th Century. Captain Foam was probably the loudest band I ever hear live.'"

"...if Ohio garage forums are to be believed, there's an entire unreleased album as well, recorded at Peppermint (home of the Left End, among many others).

I also saw that some Termbos a year or so ago were talking about a bootleg live record of these guys, 'Captain Foam And The Doctor, Live At The Keg.' "

Edited by Certif1ed - 26 Apr 2011 at 2:56am
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 1:16am
While doing some bank holiday weekend research, I came across this obscure single from a band from the Netherlands, somewhat disappointingly called Bag.

While quite obviously derived from the Psychedelic/Krautrock scene, the A side contains much that makes me think proto metal - and the B side is so huge, doomy and Sabbath-like that it's a real pity this is the only known recording of this group.

There's very little information about them anywhere on the internet, so enjoy both sides of the single - and, if you happen to know anything about them or have recordings, I'm first in line Big smile

Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 7:14am
Here's a couple to make your face melt;

First up, a Canadian band featuring guitar legend Walter Rossi, with a name (and sound) that wouldn't have been out of place in the NWoBHM;

From 1972 - the intro is stunning, although it kinda takes a dive after that;

This one is like a lost Led Zeppelin piece...

and this defies belief

Next up is a French band, with the auspicious monkier Chico Magnetic Band. This lot, especially Chico himself, were a bunch of wierdos, ready to try (and successfully pull off) anything. I read all the time about bands who "push boundaries" and "explore new musical territories", and I'm almost always disappointed that these bands end up being awful rehashes of something else I'm familiar with, the only "twist" being that they're just not as good.

In this case, pushing boundaries and exploring new musical territories is so inherent in the music that you can feel very disoriented after listening to this stuff - it's good shit, man!

Their doutput isn't 100% proto metal, but it is 100% astonishing and ahead of it's time in so many ways.

Here are the rockers - and they're good ones... did I say "good"? 

I'm talking mega-doomy Sabbath style, with added wierdness and drunkeness...

In the face of the above, the following may be a little predictable... for the first 10 seconds of Arthur Brown-inspired genius. Then it all goes wierd and heavy, like Santana mixed with Hendrix, Hawkwind and Sabbath. Those are just convenient reference points to avoid complete disorientation, BTW.

Skip this one if you're not really smitten by funky stuff, but it's my favourite from the album, proto metal or not. It is extremely heavy for the time, and very wierd. I might have mentioned that these guys are wierd. Like White Noise/Delia Derbyshire meets Grand Funk Railroad and a bunch of the heaviest Krautrockers for a particularly heavy all-nighter.

I need a dark room to lie down in after that lot...

Edited by Certif1ed - 13 May 2011 at 7:26am
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 11:07am
Awesome.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

AKA Dawn of the Ancients.

}}}}wibbly, wibbly, wibbly, wibbly{{{{

In ancient times, hundreds of years before the dawn of history, lived a strange race of men...

No one knows who they were or what they were doing, but their legacy remains, Hewn into the living rock.

We'll go back in time to that mystic land, where the dew drops cry and the cats meow - I will take you there, I will show you how...

*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*

...and so it is that I welcome you to the strange but fascinating (and sometimes genuinely scary) world of proto metal.

Every so often, I'll post a few YouTubes of a band in this thread, and together we can bang our heads with a serious expression on our faces until our ears bleed, savour the smoulderin' metal vibes until our noses bleed, touch the sharp edges of raw metal unti our fingers bleed, and smell... oh, sorry. Must lay off the chili...

The idea here is simple - we listen to and appreciate in quiet reverence the music of bands that went a bit beyond mere hard rock and produced something akin to heavy metal music, laying the foundations for sites like this, and about 80% of our music collection.

Or, we listen to and deride the crappy pentatonic noodling, godawful voices, clueless drumming and sad attempts at devilry, decrying the pathetic attempts with gales of laughter - your call.

I'm going to do this alphabetically - and I have a reasonably long list... it would be appreciated if any additional suggestions could be kept alphabetical also!

To kick off, here's a band I'm not altogether sure about - They're sometimes in the Atomic Rooster/Uriah Heep vein, but don't seem quite as consistent in the heavy department, as their other songs get very Styx-y (I don't mind Styx, it's just that they're not what I could call metal...).

Mind you, when this band are heavy, they're massive. I think that "Coming Is Love part ii" sounds a bit like something off Diamond Head's Canterbury album.

Both songs on the band's bio page are from the band's second album, released in 1973 and entitled "The Second Foot in Coldwater".

If you know of any other hard n heavy tracks by this band, stick a linky in this thread!;

Enjoy A Foot In Coldwater

/edit: A Foot in Coldwater are now added, (<- linky) and the videos are available on the band page.

To be honest, it sounds like only "The Second foot in Coldwater" is proto metal, and the rest is just very capable, melodic rock music - but check them out!

Sorry Certif1ed. I have to respectfully disagree with you on AFIC second album as IMO it is more AOR oriented than thier first by far. The Foot's s/t debut has some real cookers on it with the heavy hammond hammering in the vien of Purple, and like you stated Atomic Rooster and Uriah Heep. No question there is a couple of laid back/mainstream tracks and the great ballad (Make Me) Do Anything You Want. Just a great tune to waltz with the ladies back in the day.Wink I have Breaking Through on vinyl on the Anthem label(Rush) after Daffodil records went bankrupt, the band's original label. A big dissappointment with this album. AOR and even some soft rock/pop tracks contained.

I have never found Leggat's s/t debut and only release which AFIC's Hugh Leggat and Danny Taylor formed after the demise of AFIC.

Fantastic thread so far. Excellent reviews and info.Clap Hope I can help out in later posts.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 8:52am
Glad you're enjoying the thread - feel free to bring in any artists you feel should have some spotlight time.

Obviously, I'm trying to get an alphabetical thing going on - but since I started this thread, I've discovered quite a few more in the A-C range - I'm wondering when I'll get to D, or IF I'll ever get to Z at this rate!

As for AFICW, I'll go back and listen again (always a pleasure!), but what I meant was that I could hear more of what I would describe as proto metal on the second - the debut does indeed rock harder, but to my hears it's "purer" heavy  blues rock, with fewer metallic overtones.  I've stuck a few tracks from the debut below - it's still perfectly valid proto metal, but there's a bit more "swing" than swagger - and too many strings for my taste!

As you say, much is in the vein of Hammond-driven rock - and while I've already discovered Atilla, to my utmost amazement, proving that Hammonds can do metal, to my ears that really is an exception.

Where the second rocks, especially in "Coming of Love pt 2", there's metal in them thar riffs!

It's tricky to state with accuracy or with any kind of scientific measurements the difference between hard rock and metal - but I have deliberately missed out quite a few bands that appear on others' proto-metal lists, and included several that don't.

I think that proto metal isn't just any old hard rock act, and in some cases, even a really heavy sound isn't the convincing factor:

In one or two notable cases, like Coven, for instance, some proto metal acts have a decidedly non heavy sound, and would never have got within an inch of this site based on the music alone - the proto metal aspects are entirely in the image and band attitudes. Really, you can't get much more metal than a band of satanists who use the devil's horn hand symbol and write songs with titles like "Black Sabbath", before Sabbath came into being. Even the bass player's name - John Osbourne - reminds me of a decidedly metallic band...

Sir Lord Baltimore, on the other hand, I have serious doubts about - it doesn't matter how heavy the sound is, heavy metal is a two-word phrase.

...and trust me, if The Heavy Metal Kids were called anything else, I would not have added them.

Now, where did I put my copy of AFICW's debut? Wink

Edited by Certif1ed - 01 Jun 2011 at 9:18am
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 9:51am
...I have some serious catching up to do with myself... er...

One of the reasons I haven't been able to update this thread as often as I'd like is that I'm continually hearing music that is new to me that comes from someone's dusty cellars. Usually from the darkest, dankest, most spider-ridden corners, just behind the suspicious chalk markings on the walls and floors.

So here are just a few of the "A"'s I've added recently, which all go to show that proto metal came into being a very, very long time ago, and it wasn't restricted to America the UK and Germany;

1) The Accent - not your average Brit psyche/beat act - this song has traditional metal elements on top of the more obvious origins; There's the picky, folksy acoustic intro, the heavy, revved up choruses, the long guitar solo, wooey noises, instrumental breakdowns and transition passages, and lyrics with a decidedly occult flavour. I just thought this really stood out from most of the music I've heard from 1967;

2) After Shave. There's the metal link, right there... so sharp I nearly cut myself. Joking apart, these guys were from Switzerland, and reviews of the time stated that they'd be better if they didn't use so much distortion. Well, I, for one, disrespectfully disagree - the distortion levels are PERECT! Very much at the bluesy end, there is also something of later Sweet/Judas Priest material in this particular song which makes it stand out from standard heavy blues;

3) AGUATURBIA. From Chile, these guys covered a vast amount of musical ground - quite literally, covering Zeppelin, Jefferson Airplane and... Bread???? They had a female singer - and really are only included here because when they did heavy, they did it exceptionally well for 1969. Much of their back catalogue isn't metallic at all - although it's very, very well done.

Oh, and I haven't discovered the whole story, hence it's not in the bio yet, but I understand that they seriously upset the Catholic Church - now that's a metal attitude (for the benefit of Catholics here, I'm not saying it's right, simply that p*ssing of religious people is fashionable among some groups of metal heads).

More "A"s to follow... ROCK ON!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic