MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Primordial

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ColdReverie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Primordial
    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 2:23am
With no results coming up on the Search function, I thought I'd create a thread about a band I've been coming back to over and over again for the past two years: Ireland's finest, the mighty Primordial.

Primordial originally started out as a black metal band with folk influences, and has in later years started to integrate sounds more reminiscent of doom metal whilst still staying true to their roots. The band is fronted by A. A. Nemtheanga, whose powerful voice contributes to making Primordial's sound very distinctive and unique. Earlier this year, they released their ninth full-length album - Exiles Amongst the Ruins.

Primordial is a band it took me a good while to get into. I first listened to them when they had just released Redemption at the Puritan's Hand and I just didn't like the vocals. I later tried To the Nameless Dead because it was critically acclaimed, but still the vocals just didn't do it for me, and I cast the band aside as something that just wasn't my cup of tea. In all fairness, I believe what played a major role in spoiling this experience for me was having started off with one of Nemtheanga's side projects called Blood Revolt, in which his vocal performance is subpar in contrast to his work with Primordial.

It is only when I bought The Gathering Wilderness on a whim two years ago that I began to listen to them with rapt attention. Since then, I count the band amongst my all-time favourites; not only is the music systematically top notch, but I am always blown away by the quality of the lyrics, the raw emotion that emanates from Nemtheanga's vocals (especially on songs such as The Coffin Ships, Wield Lightning to Split the Sun, Where Greater Men Have Fallen or the more recent Stolen Years), and the unequivocal authenticity of the band. I have become convinced that no matter how much praise they get from the metal community, they remain a criminally underrated band.

Picking my Top albums is a very difficult task considering that there is no such thing as a 'bad' Primordial album, but my list would most likely look like this:

1) Redemption at the Puritan's Hand
2) To the Nameless Dead
3) Exile Amongst the Ruins
4) Where Greater Men Have Fallen
5) The Gathering Wilderness
6) Spirit the Earth Aflame
7) A Journey's End
8) Storm Before the Calm
9) Imrama

So what about you? What are your views about the band? Which are your favourite albums or songs? Post away !
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 3:06am
I'm not as familiar with them as I'd like to be. I've heard Imrama which I consider to be an excellent pagan black metal record and I've also checked out the latest one, which I also enjoyed. That one gave us a bit of trouble on deciding what sub-genre to place it in on MMA (we decided on Heavy Metal in the end). They definitely have created their own sound. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
ColdReverie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColdReverie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 11:36am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

That one gave us a bit of trouble on deciding what sub-genre to place it in on MMA (we decided on Heavy Metal in the end). They definitely have created their own sound. 

That doesn't surprise me. I guess you could also go with 'Pagan Metal' as their lyrics often revolve around pagan worship, but then you'd get into the whole 'pagan/viking/samuraï/god-knows-what-else metal doesn't exist' debate and not come out any wiser. Whatever the genre, I highly recommend giving To the Nameless Dead a try as it remains their most acclaimed album, followed by Redemption at the Puritan's Hand (though I've often heard people say it's not great) and Where Greater Men Have Fallen.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 5:38am
I´ve seen them live and I´ve listened to a couple of tracks on youtube, but it´s not a band that has ignited interest yet. Maybe in the future.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 11:45am
I need to check out more of this band having only heard bits here and there.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 8:40am
Originally posted by ColdReverie ColdReverie wrote:

Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

That one gave us a bit of trouble on deciding what sub-genre to place it in on MMA (we decided on Heavy Metal in the end). They definitely have created their own sound. 

That doesn't surprise me. I guess you could also go with 'Pagan Metal' as their lyrics often revolve around pagan worship, but then you'd get into the whole 'pagan/viking/samuraï/god-knows-what-else metal doesn't exist' debate and not come out any wiser. Whatever the genre, I highly recommend giving To the Nameless Dead a try as it remains their most acclaimed album, followed by Redemption at the Puritan's Hand (though I've often heard people say it's not great) and Where Greater Men Have Fallen.

Well Viking and Pagan Black Metal do exist, but this clearly isn't either of those (in spite of what most of the community of RYM seems to think). I struggle to think of it as Folk as well, which is what most of their work seems to be considered. 

I do eventually intend to check out more of their work though. They're a very interesting band, that's for sure. 

Edited by adg211288 - 19 Aug 2018 at 8:41am
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
bollotoral View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bollotoral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 9:54pm
I am totally new to this band, discovered them yesterday and their sound is really interesting, I was thinking about the genre and I perceive it(their last album, the only one I have heard) as a slow down Black metal crossed with Heavy Metal.

Excellent band!
Cramloth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cramloth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 11:14am
Hello.
Sorry to hijack your thread but I need some help to identify which songs I did record.
I've recorded them on last saturday in Lisbon.

https://youtu.be/9-kNLRRqT6s
https://youtu.be/QRcp5t4LU8c

Thanks in advance

ColdReverie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ColdReverie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Cramloth Cramloth wrote:

Hello.
Sorry to hijack your thread but I need some help to identify which songs I did record.
I've recorded them on last saturday in Lisbon.

https://youtu.be/9-kNLRRqT6s
https://youtu.be/QRcp5t4LU8c

Thanks in advance

Hi,

The first is "No Grave Deep Enough" from Redemption At the Puritan's Hand, and the second is "As Rome Burns" from To the Nameless Dead Smile
Cramloth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cramloth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 1:43pm
Thank you for your time.
It's a band I like but just know a few songs.
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlkpad14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 2:02pm
Yes, I will totally check out this band now!

Also, now that I am no longer a collaborator I guess I have access to absolutely nothing... :(
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by mlkpad14 mlkpad14 wrote:

Also, now that I am no longer a collaborator I guess I have access to absolutely nothing... :(

What exactly are you trying to access? Non-collaborators should have access to all the public forums and be able to use the database for rating/review purposes and I think can even still add releases to existing profiles.
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlkpad14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by TheHeavyMetalCat TheHeavyMetalCat wrote:

Originally posted by mlkpad14 mlkpad14 wrote:

What exactly are you trying to access? Non-collaborators should have access to all the public forums and be able to use the database for rating/review purposes and I think can even still add releases to existing profiles.

Nevermind, the problem was internet! LOL
As always...
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image