Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Way to Listen to Music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Way to Listen to Music
    Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 8:11pm
We all have a way that we love to experience good music. Whether that be in a long subtle car ride, a peaceful day in the park, or a snowy day in the forest, I'm sure we all have a way that we love putting on an old favorite or a new discovery.

So what is that for you? Although I would love to listen to an album in a forest or near a stream (I've never done this), my favorite way to listen to music right now is late at night with all the lights off. I put on a good pair of headphones, turn up the volume, and simply immerse myself. This makes for a great time with more atmospheric albums. Wink

Anyone else?
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 8:33pm
drunk and in an armchair, duh
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 8:43pm
LOL
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 9:44pm
Listening to music in the forests around my house is surreal. This is also prime time for poetry writing LOL

But normally it's just me at my computer doing something with music playing. Or in the car/bus/train. That seems to be the bulk of my listening. 
The Truth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by andyman1125 andyman1125 wrote:

Listening to music in the forests around my house is surreal. This is also prime time for poetry writing�LOL
But normally it's just me at my computer doing something with music playing. Or in the car/bus/train. That seems to be the bulk of my listening.�

Except for the forest part (I'm normally on my porch) this is like exactly the same as me. Even the poetry part!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 3:11am
I love the few times the kids let my use my stereo for something else than kid�s music. Damn it! It�s my stereoBig smile

I mostly listen to music while driving in my car to and from work and while doing the dishesDead. In addition to that I usually spend at least an hour listening to music on my ipod before going to sleep. Hanging out the laundry is also a time when I listen to music or grocery shopping. I wonder what the nice lady behind the counter would think if she knew I was listening to songs like "Hammer Smashed Face" and "I Cum Blood"LOL.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 5:26am
I'm an audiophile. (no surprise there)

As soon as my missus is out for the evening I'm in the living room listening to metal with a pack of beers, a bottle of whisky and a bag of peanuts.

The finish is piano black as in the first image and the bass alone pushes over 1000 watts.

Luckily we are detached and in any case I'm bigger than the neighbours LOL

Wouldn't you...?

Big smile

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 5:36am
Ahh Steve...you lucky bastard. I used to have a really good stereo too, but we now live in a very small apartment. Four people crammed into 82 m2, so my big speakers had to go.
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 6:22am
One of my favourite, though also depending on the music, ways of listening to music is walking in nature. There are three nearby forests that have provided lots of great memories, but I haven't had the time or energy to do this in a while, jobs and gym 'destroy' my legs enough already.

The other ideal way is listening to a vinyl on a quiet day in this room, no hurries anywhere, perhaps with a cup of coffee or tea, not to forget the lyrics if available.

Nighttime listening is quite perfect too when going to sleep. This doesn't happen often though, I bet my GF would be pretty annoyed by the music I'd want to listen to via the stereos when sleeping, haha...

Most often I listen to music when I'm on computer browsing the net, unfortunately. I rarely put physical CDs on stereo because I've ripped my CDs as FLAC to computer, and computer is more handy. Cassettes and vinyls I prefer to listen to through real players though.
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 7:09am

But normally it's just me at my computer doing something with music playing. Or in the car/bus/train. That seems to be the bulk of my listening. 

This. I also do a lot of listening while washing dishes, we usually spin an album every day while my fiancee cooks and I wash. I can't remember the last time I've put on an album, sat down and just listened. Seems I don't have so much time for that anymore, but the bus/train listening is pretty deep sometimes. I kind of miss the days when I worked in a warehouse and was able to really listen to about ten albums a day.
<- Click on this!
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 7:15am
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

This. I also do a lot of listening while washing dishes, we usually spin an album every day while my fiancee cooks and I wash. I can't remember the last time I've put on an album, sat down and just listened. Seems I don't have so much time for that anymore, but the bus/train listening is pretty deep sometimes. I kind of miss the days when I worked in a warehouse and was able to really listen to about ten albums a day.

That sounds AWESOME! Big smile

Unfortunately, I don't get to hear any music from 7:25 AM -3:00 PM on weekdays. I usually am able to listen to 1 full album on the bus ride, but it really does suck that most days I have such limited listening time. Some days I only get to hear 3 or 4 albums. Pinch
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 7:46am
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Yeah, there's not much thought involved in packing car parts into cardboard boxes, it gives plenty of time to concentrate on the music Tongue That's the only thing I miss from that place, it really was awesome at times. Now I'm giving the new Tartar Lamb its first listen, lying on the couch with a cup of coffee, this is nice as well Smile
<- Click on this!
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 11:59am
I like listening to music when I'm lying in bed, right before I go to sleep.  It's the most relaxing part of the day. 

My least favorite way of listening to music? REALLY LOUD!!!!!  Usually this comes in the context of a party or club setting, where the music should be secondary and social interaction/conversation should be more important.  I hate having to shout over something to make my voice heard.
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 8:59pm
drinking..
still have yet to try hallucinogens, but i assume that will be quite a mystical experience. =) 

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 9:04pm
^Good idea but mind your third eye... Easy to scratch it by accident  Big smile

goskoski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goskoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 6:19pm
I like variety. That is the whole reason why I enjoy Hard n Heavy in the first place. On a recording Grindcore may be followed by doom metal which is followed by AOR. For example, right now I am listening to Hammerfall's Dragon Lies Bleeding while before that I listened to Tristania's Aphelion. After Hammerfall will be Helloween's Hell Was Made in Heaven.

There are many Metal Operas such as Avantasia, Aina, or Ayreon, but I wish a metal opera which combines different sub-genres of metal. Like an inter-genre metal opera which include death metal, grindcore, happy metal, and nu-metal.
Phonebook Eater View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 3:15pm

Unfortunately, I don't get to hear any music from 7:25 AM -3:00 PM on weekdays. I usually am able to listen to 1 full album on the bus ride, but it really does suck that most days I have such limited listening time. Some days I only get to hear 3 or 4 albums. Pinch

Shit man! You have no idea how lucky you are! School here in Italy is pretty damn hard, and almost everyday I have to study till late at night!  I never even have time for 1 album a day! 

Anyway, I like listening to music in my room in the dark, just like others said. Otherwise, when I go out for a walk with my dog, I put on my gigantic headphones ( the main reason why people that pass by stare at me), and enjoy. 

My Album Reviews: http://audiopline.wordpress.com/
Movie Reviewing blog: http://moviepline.wordpress.com/
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Phonebook Eater Phonebook Eater wrote:

Shit man! You have no idea how lucky you are! School here in Italy is pretty damn hard, and almost everyday I have to study till late at night!  I never even have time for 1 album a day! 

Anyway, I like listening to music in my room in the dark, just like others said. Otherwise, when I go out for a walk with my dog, I put on my gigantic headphones ( the main reason why people that pass by stare at me), and enjoy. 

When I go out in public I usually sport my in ear Bose headphones.. they're things of beauty..Tongue

Phonebook Eater View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 8:57am
^ Those are quite the headphones! I have Sony, and I'm really happy with them, but I tried the Bose ones once in a Best  Buy, and they completely blew me away!

My Album Reviews: http://audiopline.wordpress.com/
Movie Reviewing blog: http://moviepline.wordpress.com/
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 4:27pm
^ I have Sennheiser Tongue
But I NEVER leave the house with them. They are my prized audio possession! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic