Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MMA Collaborators Top Metal Releases of 2010

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MMA Collaborators Top Metal Releases of 2010
    Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 8:29pm
METAL MUSIC ARCHIVES: METAL ALBUM OF THE YEAR 2010

Greetings all, and welcome to the first annual presentation of the collaborators album of the year. This list was chosen based upon all studio album and EP releases from metal artists in 2010. Given the small number of collabs this site has, naturally the list may not be as long and as in-depth as could be imagined in such a diverse and massive genre. Nonetheless, here are the releases chosen for the 2010 year.

1. MARROW OF THE SPIRIT, AGALLOCH

Following 2006's Ashes Against The Grain, Portland's dark metal masters have crafted an album full of bleak, grandiose soundscapes and epic haunting instrumental passages. Marrow Of The Spirit stands as a testament to the creative power and musical insight Agalloch are capable of creating.

"
There's no denial that 'Marrow Of The Spirit' is a monster of a work; a thick and towering beast that takes quite a few listens to really sink in... While being so excited and eager to listen to an album can very abundantly lead to disappointment, 'Marrow Of The Spirit' comes only a shard away from reaching the perfection that 'The Mantle' achieved."
 - Conor Fynes (MMA Special Collab)

2. VICTIMS OF THE MODERN AGE, STAR ONE

Arjen Lucassen, the mastermind behind Ayreon has once again developed a winning formula with his latest space-metal spin-off.

"
with Victims of the Modern Age, Arjen Lucassen has given the world an album to rival much of his Ayreon material. I expected a solid album when this was first announced, Arjen rarely disappoints with his albums, but I wasn�t expecting what Victims of the Modern Age turned out to be, which is, in a word: Masterpiece."
- adg211288 (MMA Special Collab)

3. AQUARIUS, HAKEN

London Prog Metal band Haken bursts into the fray with their debut album... an 80 minute epic that has spellbound many in the progressive metal sphere, combining musical virtuosity with melodic atmospherics - and everything else.

"
Aquarius has left me speechless. I've been searching for an album from 2010 to confidently call a masterpiece, and this is definitely it. If you like progressive rock, progressive metal, or just about anything else, this is absolutely essential."
- J-Man (MMA Special Collab)

4th Equal: Jupiter, Atheist and Beacons, Cloudkicker

The fourth release from Atheist has proven to provide as much bite as their previous three highly regarded releases. Indeed, as somewhat of a comeback album after many years in the wilderness, Jupiter's thrash, technical and death metal qualities still sound as fresh and powerful as ever.

"
Atheist have once again proven that they are one of the most unique forces on the metal scene. Pushing boundaries, defying conventions and kicking ass in the process."
- UMUR (MMA Special Collab)

Ben Sharp's second self recorded and released album, Beacons, has paved the way for even more varieties of independent releases in 'underground' metal genres. The album has been fit to the highest standards, having been cut from a genuinely chaotic and metallic cloth.

"
The album is still full of headbanging and air-drumming spectaculars, with evenly paced levels of heaviness and head pounding rhythms. The music here is much more likely to please straight metal fans, as the sound is slightly more radio friendly than his previous releases - although this is not a bad thing."
- progkidjoel (MMA Special Collab)

CAILLES DE LUNE, ALCEST

Mixing Black Metal with any other genre is sure to attract attention, and with Alcest's second release, that attention has been predominately of the good variety. Shoegaze, post-metal and black metal collide in this hauntingly beautiful and dark album.

"(Ecailles De Lune is) not frost-bitten or enraged, just sweet drifting on a shore next to a deep blue sea at night. From this perspective I could say that Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde is a summer morning while �cailles de lune is the beginning night of that same day."
-
Vehemency (MMA Special Collab)

7. AXIOMA ETHICA ODINI, ENSLAVED

Combining the harsh darkness of Norwegian Black Metal and the symphonic flourishes of bygone eras, Enslaved continue to forge a unique path amid the plethora of extreme metal acts that flood the periphery of the Black Metal scene.

"
these tracks are dark and bleak as hell, the way black metal should be. "Axioma" is the odd man out, being an atmospheric synth piece (the odd man out, but still, it fits the atmosphere of the entire record)."
- Time Signature (MMA Special Collab and Admin)

8. THE FINAL FRONTIER, IRON MAIDEN

Classic heavy metal icons, Iron Maiden return in 2010 with their latest (and fifteenth) release - proving themselves once again to have a creative staying power that extends throughout the ages. Let us hope that this is not the final frontier.

"
Some of the new things work and some don't, but in the big picture that's irrelevant. What's important is that Iron Maiden is still evolving and searching, it would be a pity is this was the end. Luckily by their recent comments it seems that there will be more."
- Pekka (MMA Special Collab)

9. ANTHROPOCENTRIC, THE OCEAN

If Berlin's The Ocean Collective can be seen to exist in the shadow of some of the more famous post-metal bands. Anthropocentric should be the album to change that - for it is as unique and challenging as metal gets. Fusing ambient, doom and a myriad of other influences, Anthropocentric is as epic and alluring as anything the band has done before.

"
Anthropocentric is the perfect definition of a hit-and-miss album for me. There are some huge "hits" that border on masterpiece status, yet there is a decent portion of music here that just fails to capture me in any way. Not because it's bad - if you're a fan of The Ocean, you should love this entire album... the mellow post rock and progressive metal sections are very inspired and enjoyable, whereas the post-hardcore sections leave me cold. Although many will disagree with me, I wholeheartedly believe that The Ocean is much better when playing softer music."
- J-Man (MMA Special Collab)

Because of the low number of collaborators, these albums were tied for 10th place, and are highly recommended.

Periphery, Periphery

Immolation, Majesty and Decay

Unituli,  Circle Of Ouroborus

Sting in the Tail, Scorpions

Remember It, Frame Pictures

Relentless Retribution, Death Angel

Five Deadly Venoms, Shaolin Death Squad

Curse Of The Red River, Barren Earth

----------------------------------

Edited by adg211288 - 29 Nov 2017 at 6:14am
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 8:38pm
Great list! Clap I voted for some of these. Smile Thanks again for making this possible, Ben. Clap

2010 was a spectacular year for metal, especially in the death and prog spectrum. Headbanger

Edited by J-Man - 18 Jan 2011 at 8:39pm
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Evolutionary Sleeper View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolutionary Sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 8:43pm
I thought this year was somewhat lacking in met, but I'll be sure to check out a few from the list.

Also, where the hell is Valley of Smoke? Unhappy
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Great list! Clap I voted for some of these. Smile Thanks again for making this possible, Ben. Clap

2010 was a spectacular year for metal, especially in the death and prog spectrum. Headbanger

2010 was a bit of meh year for me. Couldn't even compile a list of 5 releases worth 10 IMO, metal-wise. Cry

Edited by CCVP - 18 Jan 2011 at 8:43pm
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 8:45pm
Valley of Smoke just missed out on a spot in the tied-for-10th category. Voting depth wasn't that huge given we only have a few collabs, and even then, some didn't vote.
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Any Colour You Like Any Colour You Like wrote:

Valley of Smoke just missed out on a spot in the tied-for-10th category. Voting depth wasn't that huge given we only have a few collabs, and even then, some didn't vote.

My case.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 10:59pm
Good to see that 2 of the albums I voted for made the list (Agalloch and The Ocean).  Smile

And thanks to Ben for compiling the data Clap.  Now I can't wait until next year's list, but first I need to hear more than one 2011 metal album LOL.

Edited by Stooge - 18 Jan 2011 at 11:08pm
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 2:12am
Circle of Ouroborus tied on the 10th place! I guess I should have chosen something less underground as the top 2010 release because I doubt many will enjoy that album. LOL Anyhow, happy to see Alcest and Agalloch (though I didn't vote for that album, still haven't listened to it enough) on the list!
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 3:10am
My vote was for Jupiter (not really a moment of drag on the album...tough to beat that!) but Marrow of the Spirit was of course my second.

Agree/had most of the list.

Shame Valley of Smoke missed it, that album was a top 5!
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 3:32am
Thanks Ben!

Well presented Clap
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 3:33am
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Originally posted by Any Colour You Like Any Colour You Like wrote:

My case.

It wasn't for the lack of great albums in 2010, if you were prepared to go looking for them.

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 4:32am
That is a great piece of work BenClap. I like the quotes from the reviews and the short introduction to the albums. I hope this is how you imagine doing it every year. I�ll ask Max/ Phil if they can find room on the frontpage for album of the year. Maybe you wanna contact Agalloch and tell them that their album was voted album of the year here on Metal Music Archives?

Edited by UMUR - 19 Jan 2011 at 4:38am
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 10:13am
Great work guys !!!

What do you think , I put in the homepage the cover of the th TOP 1 , plus a text link to this POST to read all the others TOP ? Or I list them all in the front page ?

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 10:25am
I think you should just put the cover of number 1 on the frontpage with a link to this thread.
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 10:30am
working on it now
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 10:33am
Why not list them all? I think that could attract more people to the MMA, because it encompasses more genres.
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 10:34am
Wacko it's up to you guys 
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 10:43am
I was just worried they would take up too much space, but if that�s not a problem I guess all of them could be on the frontpage. They should only be on the frontpage for a limited time though right?

Edited by UMUR - 19 Jan 2011 at 1:38pm
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 1:30pm
Suggestion: Top 1 cover + list 10 in text , plus link to this thread
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 1:30pm
Or TOP 3 with cover , full list only in forum 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic