Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MMA Collaborators Top Metal Releases of 2010

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 4:24pm
I don't believe that, most of those albums were topping metal lists all over the net
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 4:29pm
we're on another net
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 4:37pm
^Yeah, and there are some people not from PA here and some of them voted the same as what everyone else did.

bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 4:42pm

aha, more proof of what i was saying, this site seems to attract prog metal fans above all

Edited by bonnek - 24 Feb 2011 at 4:43pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 2:36am
It�ll change in time Karl. Right now we should be happy that so many people from PA have chosen to contribute to building MMA. As MMA is spawned by PA it�s only natural that most Collabs working on the database ( which means the ones who have put in the votes that determined the albums that ended up on the 2011 top 10) are interested in the progressive/ avant garde/ experimental side of metal. There are still plenty of room left for more Collaborators who would like to do team work, and I�m sure some of those Collab spots will be taken by non-PA members in the future ( and here I would like to stress that we are also very happy that PA members are contributingSmile).

A site like this takes a couple of years ( and maybe even longer) to be a force on the net. Things take time. I don�t necessarily share your concern that visiters will say: quote: "oh that's a prog metal site, not interested". In the last couple of months we�ve had about a 100 people each month becoming members of the forum and I�m pretty sure not all of those come from PA ( not that I have proof of courseBig smile). Also if they look on the frontpage, I�d say the reviews represent other subs than prog metal/ prog-related metal and I think that�s what people are most interested in. While MMA ( like PA) has many great features, it�s always the reviews streaming on the frontpage that will be the main attraction.

( actually right now there is only one progressive metal album review showing on the frontpage)

Edited by UMUR - 25 Feb 2011 at 2:42am
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 4:56am

^ Yes, I noticed that too, the recent reviews on the homepage go in the right direction, I'll add a bunch more later today Thumbs Up
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 7:14am
And damn it, now it�s almost only progressive related reviews on the frontpageConfusedLOL
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by bonnek bonnek wrote:

Oh and the best metal album of the year was easily Tryptikon's Eparistera Daimones Headbanger

Looking forward to your review of that one Wink I loved Monotheist, but I didn't give this one enough spins to put it on the list. Should belong there, I'd imagine.
<- Click on this!
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 8:19am
I always hear the metal first, then the non-metal elements. If I hear them at all. I have a friend who's a musician and he's massively into contemporary music, concrete music, and all forms of avantgarde in general. He says that he hears elements of serialism in Paracletus... Well fuck me, they must be hidden somewhere behind the wall of noise. LOL

Also, the tendency to make of metal something that it wasn't intented to be was pretty much the dominant trend in the decade that passed, and it is now widely accepted. There is a lot of PA stuff in other 2010 tops on the net; for example, the AllMusic top metal list of 2010 contains Agalloch, Deathspell Omega, Sigh, The Ocean, Enslaved, Rosetta, Kylesa and Nachtmystium. That's a whole third of their list.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

There is a lot of PA stuff in other 2010 tops on the net

I already said that, gosh
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 2:00pm
Jeez Louise Wink
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 2:55pm
^LOL
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 4:44am

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

There is a lot of PA stuff in other 2010 tops on the net

Yeah Haken and Star One are all over the place, lol.
The point was not "a lot of PA" albums, it was "only PA" albums.
And of course some of those albums are amongst the best metal release in 2010, that wasn't the point neither.

Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2011 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

And damn it, now it�s almost only progressive related reviews on the frontpageConfusedLOL

I think around that time I was copying all my PA reviews, so that is probably why they were all prog-metal LOL
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2011 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by bonnek bonnek wrote:

aha, more proof of what i was saying, this site seems to attract prog metal fans above all

Well,most of us (and pretty much all the higher ups currently) come from PA so what do you expect?
LOL

Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 8:13pm
Should Agalloch get a pretty little banner like at PA? (Saying "Collaborators Top Album of 2010")
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 11:20pm
Probably they should, yes.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 1:38am
Andy you could PM Max and ask him what he thinks of the idea.
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 5:25am

We will do this ! Good idea !
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 12:05pm
I'd just like to say that if I were to update my personal top 10 Anthropocentric would be on it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic