0 [0.00%]
1 [2.50%]
4 [10.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Metal Drummer
    Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 5:00pm
Let me start with this:

I am sure I missed plenty of good ones. I did when I made this poll on PA. This is why there is the other option, and please specify so they can get their due! Because really...this list can be like 200 people long LOL
This was a list I created off the top of my head originally (though this time I added/dropped a few) and consists of some of my personal favorites. Also tried to get some diversity in there.

So, have at it!

Honorable mention to: Gar Samuelson, Thomas Lang, Tomas Corn (listen to Elvenefris by Lykathea Aflame for a real treat!) Pete Sandoval, Charlie Benante.

No Lars or Joey Jordinson TongueLOL
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 5:06pm
My top 5 personal favorites are Haake, Adler, Lopez, Rullo and Carey.

Dolmayan got me into drumming, (and has a bit more skill then I realized back then!) and of course Ward's drumming can not be understated.

And for the record...Lars is decent. Get's the job done. Joey is all speed, but not much else.
All the drummers listed I do like and have had some impressive performances. As a drummer, I can go on and on...

The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 5:15pm
I jumped on the popular bandwagon and went with Mike Portnoy. It's such a shame he left DT. Cry

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 6:50pm
Out of those, Brann Dailor.  I prefer Gar though
poslednijat_colobar View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poslednijat_colobar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 8:14pm
No way voting against Mike Portnoy!ClapClapClap
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 9:02pm
From the list...

1. Mike Portnoy
2. Martin Lopez
3. Gene Hoglan
4. Sean Reinert
5. Richard Christy
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 10:34pm
Of course, feel free to mention drummers not included.
Again, there are just too many and I no doubt missed plenty.

If someone held a gun to my head, I'd say Haake. Though with so many different styles out there, I can only really narrow it to a top 3, or 5 LOL

Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 5:52am
Out of those, Dave Lombardo, followed closely by Bill Ward.

AWOL;

1. Raymond Frigon (Legend).
2. Lars Ulrich - I guess he shot himself in the foot really, since 1991, but he's criminally underrated by many kids today...
3. Cozy Powell.
4. Rob (Wacko) Hunter (Raven).
4. Nick Barker (Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir).
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 12:42pm
1. Mike Portnoy
2. Martin Lopez
3. Jason Rullo
4. Tomas Haake
5. Dave Lombardo

...of these
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 2:14am
Lars is not AWOL, I left him off purposely!

He really is not a bad drummer, but even in his prime I never saw what was so great.
Lars got the job done, which is fine. Never blew me away on any song. I am very open minded and not attacking, just curious why you think he's criminally underrated?

Lombardo IMHO was actually not that great until the last few Slayer albums! He's on the list though as the father of thrash drumming. He's Lars but amped up in every aspect, his out right speed and intensity, (and endurance) was mind boggling and his double bass blew everyone else out of the water then.

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 7:09pm
^ but Gar is still the best thrash drummer
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 10:58pm
Gotta go for Haake. Both technical and inventive. Plus, now there's an entire 'djent' scene that took cues from his style of playing.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 12:26am
This is true. I lol'd when heard of "djent" especially since it was just a meshuggah thing. Then I saw it really is a growing genre!

Gar is great. I felt strange putting him up since he only did 2 albums, and on the first you can't hear his true greatness that well (re master is worlds better though). No doubt Gar was awesome.

Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 12:48am
Voted for Lopez, from outside the list my choice would be Dave Turncrantz from Russian Circles.
<- Click on this!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 2:02am
Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

Lars is not AWOL, I left him off purposely!

He really is not a bad drummer, but even in his prime I never saw what was so great.
Lars got the job done, which is fine. Never blew me away on any song. I am very open minded and not attacking, just curious why you think he's criminally underrated?

Lombardo IMHO was actually not that great until the last few Slayer albums! He's on the list though as the father of thrash drumming. He's Lars but amped up in every aspect, his out right speed and intensity, (and endurance) was mind boggling and his double bass blew everyone else out of the water then.

Well...when it comes to technical skill I guess Lars isn�t the best ( I remember reading an interview with Flemming Rasmussen where he stated that he had to put in some of the most difficult drum hits on ...and Justice for All. because Lars couldn�t get them nailed). But there�s not doubt he is one of the most influential thrash metal drummers in the world.

I voted for Lombardo ( yes I admit it I�m a giant Slayer fanboyEmbarrassed). His style isn�t especially varied. In fact he plays just about the same thing on all songs, but my, my he does it well. I also like the fact that his drums actually sounded like drums and not like some processed triggered hell of a kit, which seems to be the poison of many modern drummers. Of course that�s a production issue and not related to his playing, but I thought I would mention it. He is just one of those rare metal drummers that makes me want to enter the pit every time ( and let�s face it I�m gettin� a bit too old for that shitSmile).
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 3:06am
Agreed about Lombardo. While I loved him (I used to be a Slayer fanboy!) for his outright intensity and really pushing thrash drumming, he was a more extreme Lars. Though I do think he displayed a bit more variation in Christ Illusion and World Painted Blood. I remember noticing it.

Influential? Absolutely, but that IMHO doesn't make you good!
As I said, he gets the job done sometimes not even that well, but yeah. Even he has admitted, more or less, he just went out to beat the shit out of his set.
All this is fine and acceptable, but he's not that great in my eyes.

Thank God no one has brought up Joey!!! Every drummer video on youtube someone has to bring him up. Even in a Neil Peart one.
He is all speed.

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 3:08am
Glad to see some love for Lopez, always been one of my favorites.

Oh and just so I can be balanced, despite my bashing on Lars notice one of my top favorites was Raymond Herrera who was pretty much all feet and intensity. Also used triggers.
So there ya go!

Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 9:19am
Nevertheless, it's still fair to say that there's metal drumming before Metallica, and then there's metal drumming after, even if it's only months after, or if someone was doing it first, but didn't record it until after... Not even Jaguar, Vardis or any of the other speed freaks of the NWoBHM got the drumming quite right for full-blown thrash. 

There are all sorts of ideas on the first 4 albums which may be accidental, but are perfect for the music - and make an important contribution to the fact that Metallica's first 4 albums are among the most influential in metal history. Lars may have "bashed the wossname" out of the drums, but on tracks like "Fight Fire With Fire", someone is drumming amazingly to my non-drummer ears.

No, influential <> good, but it has to be some sort of "good" to be influential, and some sort of "very good" to be "very influential".

So to me, at least, Lars is one of the greatest drummers - and I could care a great deal more about technique. Technique is technique, and good playing is something quite different.

On Lombardo, surely he has at least two drum styles? There's the style he used on "Criminally Insane" for the intro, and the style he used for the rest of the song... LOL

Style doesn't have to evolve or be technically amazing, it only needs to be good. Ahem. AC/DC. Case closed.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 10:27am
Yeah that�s right Mark the intro to Criminally Insane was one of his rare "experimental" momentsLOL
Lynx33 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynx33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 7:16pm
Mark Zonder. But from the list it's Dave Lombardo.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic