Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Metal Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Metal Album
    Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 7:01pm
The first one I ever had was Paranoid by Sabbath, but technically that was my Dad's, so my first one would have to be Octavarium by DT.

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 7:13pm
Oh boy... so long ago.

I listened to Metallica's self titled album a lot when I was 7 or 8. I really only listened to "Enter Sandman" and a few other tracks, but I think that was still my first entrance into metal. I believe the first metal albums I "actually" listened to were Six Degrees and Octavarium by Dream Theater. At this time, my dad watched the Dream Theater Score DVD extensively, and I listened to these two albums frequently as well. Shortly after, I discovered Master of Puppets and ...And Justice For All by Metallica.

A little bit after that, I discovered Remedy Lane by Pain of Salvation, Scenes From a Memory by Dream Theater, Symbolic by Death, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son by Iron Maiden, Still Life by Opeth, and Crimson by Edge of Sanity - and that is how I came to be who I am today. Approve
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 8:11pm
My first was also my dad's copy of Paranoid, and after that probably his copy of Van Halen.  The first one I bought for myself would be (checks cd tower) either Kill Em All or Painkiller, can't remember which
edit: no, definitely Kill Em All

That's assuming AC/DC aren't metal (which is my opinion)

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 11 Jan 2011 at 12:46am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 12:18am

My first metal album was "Somewhere in Time" by Iron Maiden. My second was "...and Justice for All" by Metallica and my third album purchase was "Live Undead" by Slayer. All vinyls I still have in my collection. I�m pretty sure my fourth album purchase was my picture disc version of "Extreme Aggression" by Kreator but this is where my memories begins to be more vague.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 3:04am
Possibly a very odd one here, but here goes:

Metallica - St. Anger

I don't like this album an awful lot these days, however it was my gateway to metal when all other music I was being exposed to via the UK charts at the time was either, pop, rap or whatever else that was popular at the time, so I'll always have a soft spot for it.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 3:54am
These two:

Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 4:58am

A school friend of mine bought this and played it to me, back in '79 and I insisted on borrowing it. I taped it - so technically, it's not my first metal album, because I didn't buy it, but it is the first metal album I "owned" and played to death.

It's remained one of my all-time favourite albums. When I read about its origins, I liked it even more, and Motorhead fast became (and have remained) one of my favourite bands.

The first metal album I bought was this one, later in 1979, thanks to a review in Smash Hits magazine (hey, I was 14 years old, and Kerrang! hadn't been invented!). It gave it 3/10 (and I hardly ever saw a rating below 5/10 in that rubbishy comic), comapring it to a piledriver crossed with a chainsaw. I was intrigued, because they also slammed "Into The Valley" by the Skids, with similar comments, and I loved that record. Needless to say, AC/DC are up on my favourites list together with Motorhead, I got into the NWoBHM from there, and the rest is history...

The next metal album I bought was purely because I liked the cover;

poslednijat_colobar View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poslednijat_colobar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 9:11am
Metallica discography 9 years ago!
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 9:35am
I think my first metal album might have been Korn's "Life Is Peachy" when I was around 13.  It's not in my collection anymore, but I'll pick it up again some day.
Mastosis View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 9:04pm
I remember seeing the videos for Thunderstruck and Painkiller on MuchMusic when I was a kid (back when they actually played music), but the first album a bought, on cassette tape actually, was Antichrist Superstar by Marilyn Manson.
A wise man once said, "I have always wanted to be quoted."
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 1:38am
Probably the first metal album I've bought, embarassingly, is Killswitch Engage's "As Daylight Dies". I listened to a bit of metal that I downloaded before that but that was the first physical album I've had.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 7:10am
My first metal album was Iron Maiden's "Somewhere in Time" back in the late 80s. My next album was Iron Maiden's "Killers". They were both cassette tapes. The first vinyl LPs I bought was AC/DCs "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" I think. Although I'm into all kinds of metal - from hard rock to death metal and a wee bit of grindcore, Maiden are still my favorites.

I don't see why Killswitch Engage is embarassing.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

I am not at all embarrased to like KSW - or Korn, Linkin Park's first album - or even one or two Limp Bizkit songs.

I like what I like - that attitude served me well during the late 1970s - early 1980s, when I liked Maiden, AC/DC, Sabbath and Motorhead - to the disgust of everyone I knew. Cool
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

I am not at all embarrased to like KSW - or Korn, Linkin Park's first album - or even one or two Limp Bizkit songs.

I like what I like - that attitude served me well during the late 1970s - early 1980s, when I liked Maiden, AC/DC, Sabbath and Motorhead - to the disgust of everyone I knew. Cool

LOL

+1

...and my "cut-off" was legendary. Cool

Until my mother decided it smelled too badly that she burnt it Cry LOL

rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 10:56am

"6 O'Clock on Christmas morning" of 1983, I got my first two records as Christmas presents from my parents.  They were Def Leppard's Pyromania and Quiet Riot's Metal Health.  The first record that I ever bought with my own money was a few months later and that was Judas Priest's British Steel.

Edited by rushfan4 - 18 Mar 2016 at 4:51pm
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

One of the earlier metal albums in my collection was Limp Bizkit's "Significant Other".  I don't own it anymore though.
goskoski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goskoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 3:44am

My first three first album which I receive on the same day were:

Fireworks - Bonfire
Tell No Tales - TNT
Triumph and Agony - Warlock
arcane-beautiful View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arcane-beautiful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 6:08am
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory, I know that is weird, but its a good album...does it count haha
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by arcane-beautiful arcane-beautiful wrote:

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory, I know that is weird, but its a good album...does it count haha

actually, come to think of it, that might have been the first one I bought for myself

depends on your definition of metal
IndianaJones View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndianaJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 6:41am
This one I remember clearly, it was Best of the Beast by Iron Maiden. It was probably the third or fourth album I ever owned and the first one I bought with my own money. After a while I bought Killers, then Iron Maiden and after that Piece of Mind and Somewhere in Time. After that everything becomes blurred, can't remember precisely what followed... but after Maiden I got into Judas Priest, Dio and Helloween and those bands were the basis of my metal digging.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic