MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Metal Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eria Tarka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 10:47pm
The first metal album I heard was probably Number of the Beast, before that I had heard Kiss, Moterhead etc. But Maiden blew me away, they quickly became my favorite band at age 6.Big smile
DT*RUSH View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DT*RUSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 7:09pm
My brother's best friend was big into Rush. He and his brothers had cassette tapes and albums by not just Rush but also Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. I liked those bands but didn't appreciate them much until later. I tried to get Ron, who was my brother's friend's brother, into Led Zeppelin, I think I eventually succeeded. I was into Yes really big and still into Zeppelin. It seems like Rush were sort of the middle ground between Led Zeppelin and Yes for me or a band who kind of had elements of both bands in their sound so it wasn't all that weird for me to like Yes. I don't think it was until the nineties at least until the world's of progressive rock and heavy metal collided though. I bet if it wasn't for Dream Theater many metal heads would not know about bands like Yes or King Crimson or ELP or early Genesis or whoever let a lone more obscure bands like Camel or Van der Graaf Generator. 
Nick Dilley View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Dilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

Probably the first metal album I've bought, embarassingly, is Killswitch Engage's "As Daylight Dies". I listened to a bit of metal that I downloaded before that but that was the first physical album I've had.

That's not embarrassing. Killswitch shreds it up. Even if their fans are mostly teeny-boppers, it doesn't mean their music is bad. I love Killswitch and dig a handful of metalcore artists.

I wish Howard Jones was still in the band...

www.withinareverie.blogspot.com
soundcloud.com/withinareverie
facebook.com/withinareverie
Lynx33 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynx33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 10:41pm
This in 1987
All that is over. Today, I know how to celebrate beauty.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 2:38am
Metallica-Ride The Lightning  and  it was mind-blowingHeadbanger The year was 2004 at the tender age of 14Big smile

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - 21 Jan 2013 at 2:40am
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 4:19am
On Stage by Rainbow was the first metal album I "acquired" followed some time later by purchases of High and Dry (Def Leppard), Killing Machine by JP and Powerslave by Maiden. That's not counting Queen II.  First shit-heavy album I bought was Kill 'Em All by Metallica. None of my mates knew what to think of that one. Neither did I at the time!

Edited by Bosh66 - 26 Feb 2013 at 4:21am
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 10:52am
Giving my age away a bit but it would be either Black Sabbath - S/T or Deep Purple - Machine Head on vinyl in 1972. Up till then I had been listening to The Beatles, Bob Dylan & Donovan. 
evilneverdies View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evilneverdies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 2:12pm
Europe-the final countdown

the riffs
the thundering drums
THE HAIR!!!!

i guess i was 10 yrs old
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 3:01pm
I loved that one too when it came out. I think I was 8 years old Headbanger
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 5:20pm
I think my first metal album was either Ride the lightning or Painkiller, both on cassettes. And if you consider Led Zep metal, than Led Zeppelin IV was my first metal album.
ManDog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ManDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 12:31pm
Powerman 5000 haha!
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 12:56pm
That would have been Deep Purple - Made In Japan which I got for a Christmas present in 1975.
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 3:25pm
I think my first Metal album was either ...And Justice For All or Powerslave.....I think I may have got them both at the same time.

Edited by Dobbie03 - 19 Jun 2015 at 3:25pm
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 3:29pm
Demons & Wizards - 'Touched By the Crimson King'

This began my metal journey.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 3:33pm
I really can't remember, been listening to metal all my life. I do remember one of my earliest memories is hearing Number of the Beast.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 6:13pm
Ay, the longest ago I can remember listening to a metal album was Master of Reality by Black Sabbath. The first song I remember listening to was also by Black Sabbath, and I believe it was either Never Say Die or Dirty Women (from Technical Ecstasy.)
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 10:57am
hahaha, I was 10 when I bought The Final Countdown as well! And it was my first vinyl, leaving aside the OST to Rocky IV that my older brother sold to me for 20 cents (in today's value) a couple of years before because I wanted to own a vinyl of my own and I liked Eye of the Tiger. My brother, being the dickhead that he was, first drew cigars and glasses on all the people on the back (Rocky, Adrian, Drako, the lot!).

Anyway, my oldest brother had a substantial vinyl collection (which he did not like to share, so I played them when he was not around with fear for my life) and he considered Europe to be "pussies" (he was way into thrash at that point) and he would not even consider buying the album. I loved the title track (who doesn't?) so I went and bought it myself. It's a great album actually. And I remember feeling justified when I saw Mike Wead (Hexenhaus, Memento Mori, Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, etc) in 1999 wearing a tourshirt of the album. Ha!

But, my serious discography collecting started in 1990 (now I need my own collection, stealinng through my brother's did not cut it anymore) and my first conscious choice were:
1) Metallica - Kill Em All
2) Metallica - Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets
3) Flotsam and Jetsam - No Place for Disgrace and Helloween - Walls of Jericho (EP and Judas included)
4) Metallica - And Justice for All
5) Flotsam and Jetsam - Doomsday for the Deceiver

...which are all albums I have tattoed in my heart through excessive playing.
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

I really can't remember, been listening to metal all my life. I do remember one of my earliest memories is hearing Number of the Beast.

I'm the same. My dad pretty much raised me on a diet of heavy rock and metal. I also have memories of hearing Iron Maiden when I was growing up. Dad owned the albums on vinyl while I eventually got my own copies on CD.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 1:36am
I remember hearing "Smoke On The Water" when I was about 4 or 5 and thinking it was the coolest thing ever. That was 1976 or 1977...

First album I had was Twisted Sister's "Stay Hungry", which I got in 1984. First non-hair metal was Iron Maiden's "Somewhere In Time". First one I bought was Iron Maiden's "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son". Those were the days...
martindavey87 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Error & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martindavey87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 8:26am
'Destroyer' by Kiss. I was 12 years-old back in 1999, and had watched a WCW show (wrestling) where Kiss performed. Nobody gave a shit about the performance, as it was WCW's lowest rated segment in it's history, but I did. They played 'God of Thunder' and debuted a Kiss-themed wrestler (who sucked), but GoT was his entrance song and I loved it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic