MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thrash Big Four

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
39 [47.56%]
23 [28.05%]
8 [9.76%]
12 [14.63%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thrash Big Four
    Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 12:59am
Originally posted by Metalbaswee Metalbaswee wrote:

Metallica!!!!! Rawks

This
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
IMPF View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 8:17pm
Slayer by far.
DefinitionOfHatred View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DefinitionOfHatred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 5:16am
Slayer for sure. I'd find it curious if anyone made a "big four" of modern metal. I'd actually like it.
Why is six afraid of seven? Because seven ate nine.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 2:52pm
I've become so tired of this overhyped big four

there are so many great thrash albums out there...
Doomster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doomster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 3:13pm
Slayer destroys all.
NeverDave View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeverDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 3:00pm
I was in to all 4 back in the '80s, almost equally.  None of them fared very well in the '90s.  I'd say Anthrax had my favorite of the 4 for that decade, but nowhere near what they did in the previous decade.  In the 2000s, I'd say Megadeth made the best "comeback" of the four, though that last Slayer was pretty good, & the last Megadeth was the weakest of their most recent output.  

I'll vote for Anthrax, simply because they're the underdog in this.  LOL
Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 12:06pm
I went with Metallica...but Slayer is a close second.
Woutjinho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woutjinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 6:37am
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

I saw them last year with Death Angel, Exodus, and Suicidal Angels. Now, that was quite an evening!
That's a great show! (Though, I don't like Death Angel so much on cd. They pull of a great show, but on cd it's a little bit boring. Thesame goes for Tankard to me. If I have the change to see either one of these again, I would see them)
Woutjinho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woutjinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 6:35am
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

There's some mad thrash on Lulu as well, it's pretty metal in places definitely.

And yeah, a co-headlining thing would have been cool to do, but the harsh truth is that Metallica is the most popular metal band in the world, and nobody's going to play after them, except for the Rolling Stones.
They've sold the most albums to non-metal heads. The Big Four was just another money circus I think...
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Really, it ought to be The Big Six with Testament and Exodus included.

Just send me to Deutschland, because I want Kreator.

I saw them last year with Death Angel, Exodus, and Suicidal Angels. Now, that was quite an evening!
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 1:48pm

Just send me to Deutschland, because I want Kreator.
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 1:42pm
There's some mad thrash on Lulu as well, it's pretty metal in places definitely.

And yeah, a co-headlining thing would have been cool to do, but the harsh truth is that Metallica is the most popular metal band in the world, and nobody's going to play after them, except for the Rolling Stones.
<- Click on this!
Woutjinho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woutjinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 11:50am
I think Araya's bass is pretty cool on Hell Awaits for example.

But have anyone heard Lulu of Metallica? I just heard a part of one song. I think it's classified as rock instead of metal.
Plus; I think it's really really really shameful that the big four tour was actually a Metallica tour with the big three as support acts. They all have been influential so I think they all should switch from gig to gig who should headline.
I didn't want to go, especially because of the costs, but also because I assumed the majority will be Metallica fans rather than BIG FOUR fans. I want to headbang and hangout with people who like Anthrax, Megadeth en Slayer as well. Here is an example for how emberrassing this is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0KNYeKvT1Y&feature=related
genghiscon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Especially Reign in Blood, South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss. As far as thrash metal goes, nothing beats those albums in my book.

QFT

All the poo-pooing over Jeff and Kerry's noodling isn't really the issue. If Araya's bass playing and technique  were stronger and higher in the mix, it would elevate Slayer to an even higher degree. Of that I have no doubt at all.
I got Rock N Roll to save me from the cold, and if thats all there is, that aint so bad. Rock N Roll! - Lemmy
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 12:31pm
I�m a Slayer fanboy taken to the extremeEmbarrassed. It hasn�t always been like that, but in the last 15 years I�ve really loved them to death. Especially Reign in Blood, South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss. As far as thrash metal goes, nothing beats those albums in my book.
Riitasointi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riitasointi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 10:59am
About Jeff and Kerry:

C'mon guys! Kerry is clearly much better guitarist than Jeff. His riffing is way smoother and more precise, whereas Jeff tries to keep up with the tempo with his odd right hand technique and makes lots of little mistakes all the time. That being said, Jeff is a lot better songwriter than Kerry. Ever heard of Angel of Death, South of Heaven, War Ensembe, Raining Blood, Seasons In The Abyss? So basically, Jeff writes the riffs and Kerry plays them Approve

I think my favourite of these four is Megadeth, although I think they are all really good. Everyone knows Metallica's music is sloppy after Black Album but they still kill live!
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 4:59am
Kerry King's fucked up solos are an integrated part of the Slayer sound, as are Hanneman'. I've never been botherred with one of then being better than the other, though.
Woutjinho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woutjinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 3:58am
Testament and Exodus could make it into a big six indeed. I suppose.
And indeed, Kerry King's solos suck most of the times. Especially the new ones I've heard (only once). Jeff Hanneman always was the better guitarist, but somehow Kerry King is far more famous and admired... Just because he has tattoos on his head or something? Never understand it. Jeff Hanneman is way better, hands down.
genghiscon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 3:36pm
I agree to an extent with Time Sig and Tri-Top that Exodus and Testament should be revered with the Big Four for their contributions to the genre. I think were they stumble there is that they never got the publicity, critical acclaim and sales that the Big Four did, so they don't get lumped in. Having seen all six bands in concert, I think they all have game and put on good shows.

I think there may be the like-ability factor working against Slayer. Not the most cuddly band in the world...lol. Metallica, yeah, they get a lot of votes from their early work. But, you would think that their later work (and the fact that Lars and James' egos have turned them into another Gene and Paul from KISS) would take away a lot of votes, too.
Dave is abrasive and can be off-putting, but I can't help but admire him for cleaning up his act from his younger days, personally. And poor Anthrax. I love the guys. I just think the John Bush thing never quite worked for me (not counting Sound of White Noise...which I thought was brilliant) Too many sub-par albums in a row killed all the momentum they had built during the Belladonna era.

Aren't you guys glad you didn't ask for my opinion? Big smile

I got Rock N Roll to save me from the cold, and if thats all there is, that aint so bad. Rock N Roll! - Lemmy
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 3:02pm

This, although I'd probably still have voted Megadeth.  It would change my 2nd and 3rd choices, though.

I think Slayer would be way better if Kerry King wasn't allowed to play "solos"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic