Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rap/Hip Hop Discussion Thread!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 7:30am
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

I don't follow contemporary pop music that much these days, so I've actually only heard parts of Cee Lo Green's song, and I'v enever experienced him in interviews or other contexts not relating to music.

I never even heard of Cee Lo Green before last weekend. LOL My knowledge in the modern pop field is sooooo bad...

Could that be because most of the output in the modern pop field is soooooooooo bad? ;-) To be honest, I dislike most modern rap/hip hop, too. I'm more into the old school stuff.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 7:41am

I don't follow contemporary pop music that much these days, so I've actually only heard parts of Cee Lo Green's song, and I'v enever experienced him in interviews or other contexts not relating to music.

I never even heard of Cee Lo Green before last weekend. LOL My knowledge in the modern pop field is sooooo bad...

Could that be because most of the output in the modern pop field is soooooooooo bad? ;-) To be honest, I dislike most modern rap/hip hop, too. I'm more into the old school stuff.

Same here. Modern pop is a disgrace. To think that we've went from The Beatles, The Who, Led Zeppelin, and Jimi Hendrix to Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, and other crap in less than 40 years is sickening. Dead

I dislike most modern rap as well. Way too commercial-sounding for me. I still haven't delved nearly as far into old school stuff as I would like to... I only own 7 or 8 rap albums total. Tongue
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 8:15am
What is pop?

Tongue
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 8:23am
^Crap?

Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 10:58am
^ that's just the alternate spelling of "rap" LOL
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 11:32am
Poop is the alternate spelling for pop. LOL
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 12:09pm
Well, there was some 80s pop which was quite good I think, but back then, there was a more widespread tendency to consider even the pop song a piece of art (granted, there was a lot of shit in the 80s too, though).
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 1:22pm
^ And now it's just total crap

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 1:58pm

Well, there was some 80s pop which was quite good I think, but back then, there was a more widespread tendency to consider even the pop song a piece of art (granted, there was a lot of shit in the 80s too, though).

I definitely agree with you there.  Exceptions to every rule.  Something like The Police would be considered a pop band, and they have some great music in my opinion.  Countless others as well.

I've always wondered what life is like these days for session musicians compared to back 20 plus years ago.  I'm sick of hearing music that doesn't have any distinct instrumentation (aside from actual good electronic music or rap/hip hop of course).
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 8:42pm

this

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 2:32pm
I listened to this album earlier today:

Really fun listen! Anyone else have it?
Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 5:13am
^^^^ on wax... been a while since I've spun it. 
Guai ai gelidi mostri �Everything that is doddering, squint-eyed, infamous, sullying, and grotesque is contained for me in this single word: God� Andr� Breton
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 4:58pm
I started listening to that N.W.A. album just yesterday, and I've already heard it twice. Really, really fun listening. Interesting lyrics, funny skits, catchy beats, and great use of sampling throughout. I'm going to have to get their 2nd album at some point.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 4:59pm
For those unfamiliar...

The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 5:21pm
Dr Dre is in NWA? That cool, dawg!! LOL

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by The Block The Block wrote:

Dr Dre is in NWA? That cool, dawg!! LOL

Back before he became a sellout... and before Ice Cube became a PG-rated family comedy star. Pinch

Edited by J-Man - 16 Feb 2011 at 5:25pm
Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 7:21pm

I started listening to that N.W.A. album just yesterday, and I've already heard it twice. Really, really fun listening. Interesting lyrics, funny skits, catchy beats, and great use of sampling throughout. I'm going to have to get their 2nd album at some point.

I'd probably pass on the 2nd (they lose Ice Cube over money issues, or something) 'n' go straight for something like The D.O.C. - no one can do it better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yASSOA2r2VU&feature=related, produced by Dre a year after Straight Outta Crompton...
Guai ai gelidi mostri �Everything that is doddering, squint-eyed, infamous, sullying, and grotesque is contained for me in this single word: God� Andr� Breton
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zargus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 8:17pm
I dislike most rap/hip hop, but Public Enemy was good, old school rap ftw! Tongue

And then ofcoures there is this, Rap Metal anyone?

http://www.riseaboverecords.com/wp-content/uploads/BLOOD-CEREMONY-new-2016.jpg
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 3:46am
Originally posted by andyman1125 andyman1125 wrote:

As much as I hate this genre, I can't stand how catchy this song is, even though it's quite vulgar Censored

And the lyrics pose a rather contrary-to-what-you-want-to-actually-do in life, morally (well at least hopefully)

Damn it, I love that song
I hate myself for loving it...but I just do.

It is just so fucking catchy!
Also I like the happy 50's feel with the obscene lyrics, some crazy ass juxtaposition dawg.
And the choruses in that song make me LOL
Edit: oh also that video LOL guy has a sense of humor and that is always something I can appreciate!

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 07 Apr 2011 at 3:50am
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 6:26pm

Damn, I've been obsessed with this album lately! Much better than Straight Outta Compton IMO... this album is so much darker, creepier, and the lyrics are just so much more sinister. This is one of the best rap albums I've ever heard!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic