Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rap/Hip Hop Discussion Thread!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 3:43pm
over 9 years since I posted:
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I think Dalek is about the only rap group I listen to

Most of the rap I listen to now is Death Grips, or MF Doom and adjacent musicians (Madlib etc).

Also a little bit of Aesop Rock, select classics (Deltron 3030, Wu Tang, Nas, De La Soul) and instrumental stuff like J Dilla and BADBADNOTGOOD

I still like the production on Dalek's music but really can't stand their lyrics, everything has to be political with them and I'd rather listen to goofy nonsense like Doom

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 06 Jun 2020 at 4:00pm
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 4:17pm
^I haven't really gotten into MF Doom's stuff yet though I do remember listening to some of Operation Doomsday a while back. I do love the Gorillaz song November Has Come though with him featuring, so I should get around to more.

Have you heard Del from Deltron's solo stuff? I've always really loved this funky classic, even before I was into much rap:
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 4:21pm
yeah that's all good stuff

MF Doom has a lot of great projects under other names as well, for Viktor Vaughn he had other people do all the productions, for King Geedorah he did all the production and had other people do most of the rapping

Madvillain and Dangermouse are his biggest collabs I've heard.  Operation Doomsday and Mm Food are my all time faves though

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 06 Jun 2020 at 4:25pm
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 12:53pm
Hip hop/rap is a genre I've yet to fully explore! I'm familiar w/ some of Necro's and Immortal Technique's stuff but that's about it!
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 4:10pm
If you're wanting to start with some darker and heavier hip hop, I'd recommend Cypress Hill, Death Grips, R.A. the Rugged Man, and Masta Ace Incorporated to start.

If you're looking for some upbeat old school 80's stuff, Slick Rick, Run DMC, Eric B. & Rakim, Jungle Brothers, and Beastie Boys.

For more abstract alternative hip hop, Blackalicious, Rob Sonic, Sonic Sum, MF Doom, Aesop Rock, Lyrics Born

Jazzy hip hop, Tribe Called Quest, Pharcyde, Gang Starr, Electric Company

and awesome sci-fi electronic hip hop, Beastie Boys' Hello Nasty, Kool Keith's Black Elvis/Lost in Space. and Mantronix.
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 4:18pm
^Excellent! Sounds like I'll be busy...thanks for the rec's!Thumbs Up
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 11:12am
Damn, R.I.P. MF Doom, didn't see this coming. Still haven't explored all that much of his work, but have long been a fan of this song:

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 11:39pm

One of the best blind buys I've ever made, bought it late last year and it's already climbing up there in my favorite hip hop albums. Really liked the cover, and what I got was fantastic beats, really cool samples, and great guests. There's not a single weak track, right down to the interludes DJ Zeph is clearly a master songwriter.

Seriously, this is the first time I've heard basically medieval hip hop:

Edited by Unitron - 31 Jan 2022 at 11:43pm
DeathofMan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathofMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 1:43am
^ Good find, it’s always a great feeling when you find a hidden gem randomly

I’m not a huge rap fan, but I do occasionally listen to Death Grips, MF Doom, Outkast, Kendrick Lamar, and a few others.
Here’s a track by Billy Woods and Moor Mother that I think is really cool:

Really this entire album is great

Edited by DeathofMan - 01 Feb 2022 at 1:51am
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 2:13am
^Never heard of those two, but I really like the production on that track, I'll have to check out some more.

Also unrelated, looking forward to the new Cypress Hill album. So far the three singles have been produced by Black Milk instead of DJ Muggs, so hopefully he didn't leave again, but I did really like the first single Champion Sound with its trip hop vibe so I'm hoping it'll be good regardless.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic