MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is up with King's X?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is up with King's X?
    Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 2:22am
King's X is apparently one of the most influential bands of the late 80s - early 90s. They contributed to tons of prog bands, grunge and alt bands, modern metal bands, and even pop music. Prog legends like Portnoy and Gildenlow have mentioned some of their innovations.

Yet nobody seems to know anything about them. If you asked your average prog or metal fan what their most "classic" or greatest album is, they may not answer. Forums rarely talk about them, even on PA I don't recall a single topic on them. Despite their "classic" or "legendary" status, nobody really seems to talk about them.

Heck, I'm not sure this topic will even take off, because not many people seem to listen to them. But discuss please.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 2:55am
I only have one album and it never did much for me ( is it called Black Sunday or something like that?). I too have wondered why they have the "Classic" status stamped on them. A fan might be able to give us some recommendations to clear things up.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 8:43am
I have two albums (XV and Faith, Hope, Love). I wasn't blown away by either, but I guess they were pretty important in the early prog metal world. 
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 9:34am
I have their entire discography and they are one of my favorite bands.  Their first three or four albums are probably their best.  They were on the "cutting edge" of progressive metal at the time that Dream Theater arrived on the scene.  By the time Dream Theater released Images and Words, King's X had already released their first three albums.  They played a brand of hard rock/heavy metal that was merged with the harmonized vocals of Yes and/or the Beatles.  Just like many metal bands of the 80's and early 90's, what was considered heavy metal back then, is just merely hard rock through the view of modern day heavy metal glasses.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I only have one album and it never did much for me ( is it called Black Sunday or something like that?). I too have wondered why they have the "Classic" status stamped on them. A fan might be able to give us some recommendations to clear things up.

That's the worst King's X album in my collection (I own 7 of their albums).  It was basically an album of pre-Out Of The Silent Planet songs re-recorded.  I'm a pretty big fan of their first 5 albums.  Gretchen and Faith Hope Love are my two favorite. Smile
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 2:55pm

Hmm...so I guess I should start with the first 3 - 5 albums when I get around to it. I�ve been meaning to give King�s X a second chance but had no idea where to start.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 10:48am

Currently listening to Out of the Silent Planet = Yum!!!

rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 3:44pm
I think that the Self-titled 4th album is probably my favorite, although I like them all to varying degrees.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I think that the Self-titled 4th album is probably my favorite, although I like them all to varying degrees.

Their self-titled is pretty underrated.  Not a fan of every song on it, but I love "World Around Me", "Prisoner", and "Lost In Germany" among others.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 4:02pm
Do you like Black Flag, or is it too commercial for you? 
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 4:14pm

Do you like Black Flag, or is it too commercial for you? 

Oh no,  I like Black Flag.  That was actually the first King's X song I ever heard.  It was on a compilation album I used to own, which also introduced me to Dream Theater with "Pull Me Under".  I was going to a Dream Theater/Joe Satriani concert in 2002 that King's X opened.  I just needed a little taste of what I was getting into.

Here's the album "Hard Music":

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/various_artists_f2/hard_music_volume_1/

Wow, I didn't even remember Faith No More was on that album!!  I didn't start getting into them until 2006/2007 if I was to guess.

Edited by Stooge - 12 Jan 2011 at 4:17pm
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 4:35pm
Cool.  I love the song myself, but I know people who hate it because it was played on the radio and such.  That is an interesting compilation.  I've heard most of the songs on it, but not all of them. 

Do you happen to know the story behind the album cover for Dogman from King's X?  Is there any specific reason why they put it out in 4 different colors? 
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 4:41pm

Do you happen to know the story behind the album cover for Dogman from King's X?  Is there any specific reason why they put it out in 4 different colors? 

I'm not really sure, but I have the blue one.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 4:49pm

I thought maybe it was a gimmick where different bonus songs were included on the different colored albums, but I am pretty sure that isn't the case.  I think that I have the yellow cover, but I don't remember for sure.  It might be the blue cover.

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 8:57pm
I wonder how many die-hards bought all 4 covers. 

topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 6:38pm
I recently bought and started listening to "Gretchen", and I can't say whether it's the best or not, but to me it sounds like a 'cleaner' Rush. If that's the case, they really don't seem to have offered much to the prog table, which would explain their relatively low popularity for such a classic band.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 6:44pm
King's X is my favorite band of all time. I discovered them in high school when Out Of The Silent Planet was released. To this day they remain, in my eyes, the greatest active band on the planet. 

I know that is pretty lofty praise, but in all honesty I love every album they've ever done. I've seen them live six times. I own all the side projects the members have been involved in. The way they blend groove with heaviness and harmony vocals...and the hooks are ridiculous!

I do not understand how King's X is not one of the most popular bands in the world...instead they are just the opposite. How musicians from Nikki Sixx to Gene Simmons to Jeff Ament to Chris Cornell can sing the praises of a band for years and relatively nobody knows who they are remains a mystery.

They are highly respected among musicians and industry folk, but they've never been able to translate all that respect into record sales...boggles the mind.

My Top 3 albums would be:

Gretchen Goes To Nebraska
Dogman
Ogre Tones
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 5:54am
The new Live in London album is very good - perhaps their best, esp CD 2.
GLAM METAL!
Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 7:17am
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

The new Live in London album is very good - perhaps their best, esp CD 2.
Yeah, I got the DVD/CD version of this for Christmas...I love it!
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 5:16pm
I've only seen some of the footage from Live In London.  I recall their vocal work on it being below their standard (at Doug's age I'm not surprised) , but I haven't heard a lot of it.  Regardless, I'll most likely get the DVD down the line since I've always wanted a King's X DVD.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic