Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reasonable cd price?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalbaswee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reasonable cd price?
    Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 2:48am
So, what do you guys think is a reasonable price for a normal, 1 hour cd, without any extra's (bonus cd, dvd, demo's). And what do you pay most of the time for your cd's?  

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 3:10am
I think prices for a new CD vary a lot depending on where you live. In Denmark a new CD usually costs somewhere around 129.95 DKr to 149.95 DKr. which if you convert to dollar using a 6 DKr per dollar convertion ( that�s about realistic at the moment) would be about: $23 - $26 per new CD.

Personally I think that�s way too high and it�s not very often I spend money on completely new CD�s unless it�s something I really want. I usually wait � to a full year before making my purchase and then the price has usually dropped to an acceptable amount. An acceptable amount in my eyes for a new CD release is about $15 - $18. That�s about 100 DKr. And that�s for completely new releases. Once a release is more than � a year old, I think the price should drop considerably. Maybe $10 would be acceptable. That�s about 60 DKr.

There�s only one way of getting people to purchase legal music again and that�s dropping the way too high prices.
Metalbaswee View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalbaswee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 3:31am
Yeah, prices are way to high. But the site where i always order (bol.com) is pretty cheap, most of the time being �8 or �10, except latest releases, which are �20. And it pretty much sucks in general, because there is simply to much to buy for a to high price.

Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 3:55am
Just checked some of my recent purchases and around �9 seems to be the standard here in the UK.

Thats about 10.50 Euros or $14

These tend to be major releases though, less familiar albums can reach �15 easily.

Being a completionist, I do wait for sales to pick up bargains, generally I can pick up CD's for �4-�5.

For a fan of less popular music I do often find that its not the price of the record but the shipping that is extraordinarily high and quite prohibitive. (although as the example shows that doesn't tend to stop me either! Embarrassed)

Description

Unit price

Qty

Amount

Concrete Prophet
Item Number concreteprophet

$7.99 USD

$7.99 USD

Subtotal

$7.99 USD

Postage and packing

$6.84 USD

Total

$14.83 USD

Payment

$14.83 USD

Charge will appear on your credit card statement as 'PAYPAL *CD BABY'
Payment sent to [email protected]

From amount

�9.69 GBP

To amount

$14.83 USD

Exchange rate: 1 GBP = 1.53044 USD

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 4:02am
Yes I�ve started purchasing most of my albums through netstores too, but the postage and packing is killing me. Add to that the Danish VAT ( extra 25% tax) and you�ll end up with some pretty expensive albums. I actually have a ridiculous story about postage and packing. I purchased "Posthuman" by Void last year and the CD only cost me �0.93 but the postage and packing cost me about �7. That is ridiculous right?
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 4:15am
yeah it is!

Its the main reason why I will use Amazon or Play.com first. No delivery charges.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalbaswee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 4:19am
The site that i order at, charges �1.95, no matter what you order, 1 cd, 30 cd's. Wich is great. Only they don't have to many underground releases.

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 5:32am
Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

yeah it is!

Its the main reason why I will use Amazon or Play.com first. No delivery charges.

I�m afraid Amazon charges when it�s outside the UK Steve.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 5:33am
Originally posted by Metalbaswee Metalbaswee wrote:

The site that i order at, charges �1.95, no matter what you order, 1 cd, 30 cd's. Wich is great. Only they don't have to many underground releases.

Now that�s more like it.
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 6:53am
8-13 euros for a new CD is standard in distros from where I buy my music and it's a good price. Often it's around 12 euros. There's even some labels that put out their new CDs at 5 dollars a piece (Nuclear War Now). LP standard 15 euros, tape standard 4 euros.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 7:24am
For a new release, I think it should be somewhere around $15. If a new release is more than that, I'll probably just wait a little bit until it goes down.

The record store that I go to has a terrific "clearance metal" section where I can find tons of old used CD's. Most of the CD's in this section are $2-$3. I've gotten every single Death and Morbid Angel album from this section, in addition to various other cheap finds. It doesn't usually have anything from the last 10-15 years in it, but that works for me. Big smile
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalbaswee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 7:25am
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

For a new release, I think it should be somewhere around $15. If a new release is more than that, I'll probably just wait a little bit until it goes down.

The record store that I go to has a terrific "clearance metal" section where I can find tons of old used CD's. Most of the CD's in this section are $2-$3. I've gotten every single Death and Morbid Angel album from this section, in addition to various other cheap finds. It doesn't usually have anything from the last 10-15 years in it, but that works for me. Big smile
To bad i don't have a REAL record store around here.

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 7:26am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

There�s only one way of getting people to purchase legal music again and that�s dropping the way too high prices.

That's so true! Clap Unfortunately, most of the record industry sees it more as "we're not selling enough, so let's raise the prices and capitalize on each CD sold", which is actually the problem in the first place.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 1:56pm
I really don't know what a fair price is for a CD these days.  Stores near me charge anywhere between $10 and $20 for a new release on CD.  It's usually pretty random.  I was surprised that when I bought Agalloch's Marrow of the Spirit it was only $11.99 (rather cheap compared to other albums).  When an album goes unsold, they often raise the price of the album.

I'm not a fan of building up my music collection through illegal downloads, and I love to browse through music at the stores.  This means I often go the second-hand route.  It's easy enough to find vinyl where I live since there are a few weekend flea markets near me and a pretty good record store, but for CD's I usually go here: http://www.dejavudiscs.com/ , which is probably my favorite store.

Edited by Stooge - 27 Dec 2010 at 1:56pm
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 2:10pm
I think a fair price should be around $10 if it's new, if it's not new it should be around $7, I think. I hate when something new comes out and it has it every for around 16 bucks. Like when "The Final Frontier" came out I bought it for $10 bucks but at my local record store it was $16!

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 4:52pm
The price I pay for something depends on a couple of factors.

1. How much I want it.
2. How obscure it is.

I think the most I have paid for a CD in the last year was �12.99, which was for Anubis Gate's Andromeda Unchained. I really wanted that one and it looked to be increasingly hard to get since their label went bankrupt or something. Unless it's a real rarity I think �12.99 is the maximum reasonable price for a standard CD. 

That said, I rarely pay that much. A lot of my recent buys have been �3.99 - �7.99 at most. EMP is a good site for bulk orders. They always have �4.99 P&P no matter how much you order, so a few �3.99 bargains and you've a pretty good value package overall even if you throw a couple of dearer CDs in there.

Highly recommend ebay hunting though, most of my more obscure purchases have come from ebay, albums that I couldn't even find on Amazon, and I've often got a great deal on albums I expected to have a bidding war over.

I sometimes buy used as well, depends on how good the condition is. I'm fortunate enough to have a used music shop which sometimes have some good metal in it a few minutes drive away from my house, I got some great used albums there, usually for �3 each. Buying second hand online not so much, for some reason I go to Amazon's used and new section, and used prices are always way above new ones. Never worked that one out yet.

As for postage costs, yes they're annoying at times, but I just think of the postage as part of the price of the CD. As I said �12.99 is my max price for a new normal album, if P&P is going to be extra I don't consider the buy a good deal. Amazon seller's postage rate is a flat �1.24 at the moment though, so a good deal is usually to be found, even when ordering from a seller in the US (which is often how I get my best deals).

This is getting to be a longer post than I initially planned, so I'll close with this - the one thing I detest the most is places that charge several pounds more for special editions that only have one bonus track. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 6:34pm
^ I absolutely love Amazon! That is where I get the majority of my Cd's.

Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Metalbaswee Metalbaswee wrote:

So, what do you guys think is a reasonable price for a normal, 1 hour cd, without any extra's (bonus cd, dvd, demo's). And what do you pay most of the time for your cd's?  
For what you described, $9.99 US. Anything more than that is overpriced, but I still pay it if it's something I want.

I buy a lot of my CDs used, so on average I pay about $7.00 US each for CDs (some more, some less)...
Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 9:02am
Oh, and I agree that if prices were lowered, people would buy more. The FYE stores in my region started a $9.99 sale campaign (every regular CD in the store was $9.99) that lasted a few months...sales picked up and they made money. But the labels pitched a hissy fit about profit margins (they were making money too...just a little less of it in terms of percentages) and threatened to not serve the stores anymore, so FYE had to cancel the campaign.
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 4:11pm
I think a reasonable price would be $8-15 (US Dollars). If a CD is over 20 dollars, it better be a double album, or else I'm not buying it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic