MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Panopticon's new albums

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Panopticon's new albums
    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 2:03pm
I'd normally write a review and expect there to be shouts if anyone had anything to say about the release, but I'm still feeling a bit too burned out to write for it, so let's try using this forum for what it is for and talk about something. Wink

Panopticon, the subject of the May 2016 MMA Reviewer's Challenge (as an aside, where did two years go since we did that?) for the album Kentucky, recently (April 6th) released its latest releases, The Scars of Man on the Once Nameless Wilderness Part I & II. The first part is an atmospheric black metal album as you'd expect to hear from the project and the second is a mostly acoustic, folk music release, which also shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who has heard the directions Austin Lunn has gone in on various albums, especially Kentucky. The two are considered one album by the artist but we list as two here due to the primary physical release being separate. It's supposed to be listened to in one two hour hit though. 

I've purchased the boxset of both and have really enjoyed them but haven't been blown away the way I was with Kentucky. I'm currently the only ratings on either MMA entry though so I'm wondering if anyone here has even heard them yet? 

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 3:15pm
Kentucky was the last Panopticon album I bought I think, a good few years ago.

I'm just at the end of part one of this opus and I'm impressed. To be honest, Panopticon don't do anything that lots of other bands don't do too. But they do do it very well. Lovely atmospheric black metal that switches from the lush to the harsh and then delivers both together. Think this may well be an album I put my hand in my pocket for. 
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I'd normally write a review and expect there to be shouts if anyone had anything to say about the release, but I'm still feeling a bit too burned out to write for it, so let's try using this forum for what it is for and talk about something. Wink

Panopticon, the subject of the May 2016 MMA Reviewer's Challenge (as an aside, where did two years go since we did that?) for the album Kentucky,

I included my review from that challenge when I applied for a job. Must have done the trick, because I'm posting this from work at that job right now.Wink
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 2:09pm
They never really clicked with me  - that combination of bluegrass and black metal made unlikely bedfellows to my ears. I've never felt inclined to listen to them since that reviewers challenge with so much other stuff out there.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

that combination of bluegrass and black metal made unlikely bedfellows to my ears.

That's mainly only on Kentucky. Roads to the North has one instrumental bluegrass track but apart from that the albums are largely different. And all that stuff is regulated to the second part of the new album, which isn't pure bluegrass by any means. 
GG2U

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 2:54pm
^ I've got the album on again. It's pretty damn good.
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 8:38am
I've bought both new ones, but due to working extra hours haven't had much time to listen to the whole two hour experience without interruption. I'm impressed so far though.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 10:34am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

that combination of bluegrass and black metal made unlikely bedfellows to my ears.

That's mainly only on Kentucky. Roads to the North has one instrumental bluegrass track but apart from that the albums are largely different. And all that stuff is regulated to the second part of the new album, which isn't pure bluegrass by any means. 

I'll check it out then if that's the case.
MorniumGoatahl View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorniumGoatahl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 11:39am
I like a bit of Panopticon. I've yet to get the new album(s) though. Honestly I'm less interested in the second one even though I quite like his forays into bluegrass on Kentucky. Just not sure I want a whole album of that and other assorted folk and country music styles. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 12:53pm
The second half does have some surprising post-rock elements, but mostly it's best described as American folk music. 
GG2U

MorniumGoatahl View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorniumGoatahl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 1:00pm
I'll keep an open mind when checking it out. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image