MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best sci-fi movie of the 2010's (so far)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which is the best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [60.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best sci-fi movie of the 2010's (so far)
    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 3:02am
Prior to Blade Runner 2049 it would have been Inception. But BR2049 exceeded all of my expectations.

Honorable mentions to Annihilation, Edge of Tomorrow, Ex Machina, Interstellar and The Martian.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 9:03pm
I don't go see a lot of movies any longer but i was pleasantly surprised how brilliant the new Bladerunner was. So that gets my vote. Just saw the new Solo: A Star Wars Story and i can't say the same. Meh to the max.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 8:40am
There are a few on the list I haven´t watched yet, but from the ones I have watched the one that made the most impression on me was Ex Machina (2015).

I love Rogue One too and Inception was pretty great.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 2:22am
^ The movie clearly subscribes the same ideas of time travel as Doctor Who: that time can be rewritten. So if Young Seth loses his limbs even after Old Seth has been observed to have them, Old Seth will still lose them. 

Of course this doesn't explain the movie's ultimate paradox that Young Joe killed himself because of Old Joe's actions but by dying at that point Old Joe never existed and didn't create the circumstances that led Young Joe to take his own life, ergo Young Joe should still be alive. I guess it assumes that the laws of reality allow such a paradox to be maintained and since time travel doesn't exist (that we know of) it's fair for the filmmakers to decide that's how the universe works if it best serves their story. 

In general I find it's best to not think too hard about time travel fiction. Too much risks of headaches. I enjoyed the film but it's not a contender for me on this selection. Thinking about that if I have to narrow it down to two movies it would be Blade Runner 2049 and Edge of Tomorrow. I enjoyed the Stars Wars films, the MCU films and others, but these two stand out from the rest of the pile for me. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by MorniumGoatahl MorniumGoatahl wrote:

I've seen Looper. It's been a while though. I don't recall the fine details about it. How did they mess up the time loop? 

Been a while since I've seen it. This explains it I think:

Plot contrivance: Time to get SUPER DEEP. If you already feel dizzy skip this one altogether. Even if time travel is all fiction, you have to obey your own rules because if you don’t – it creates what we call a ‘’technical clusterfuck’’ that doesn’t make any sense when you try to decipher it. Here we go.

On one side, you have the alternate timeline mythology of the screenplay where Old Joe’s past reveals that young Joe killed old Joe when he was young. He got his gold and lived happy for 30 years before being sent back in time. At that point, Old Joe knows about his fate and decides to alter it by surviving his execution. This creates an altered timeline both different and independent from the previous one. Indeed, if it was not independent, Old Joe would have been unable to change his fate; he would have been killed no matter what he tried to do. So the movie firmly established that you can alter your fate and create a new alternative timeline for yourself.

On the other side, you have aspects of a single loop-timeline mythology where what happens to young loopers also happens to old loopers. So for example, when young Seth is tortured and his limbs are cut off, older Seth in the present also gets scarred.

But this doesn’t work. If young Seth gets one finger cut-off, he will grow older missing one finger – let’s call him Old Seth B. But Old Seth A from the original timeline who is right beside him in the present should not be affected by that because he doesn’t belong to this new future anymore. It is confusing to see both the young and old versions of Seth as the same person. At this point in time, being in the present together, they should be seen as brothers. If one gets killed – it’s sad, but the other older brother doesn’t get physically hurt. He is not in the future anymore – he is independent from whatever happens to this man, because his own future was dictated by his own younger self version that stop being his version the moment he altered the timeline by surviving his fated execution. In short, whatever happens to Young Seth B will affect Old Seth B, but the Old Seth who altered the timeline and is living in the present now is not Old Seth B, it’s Old Seth A.

TL/DR: Young Seth gets his limbs cut off: nothing should happen to Old Seth. Young Joe kills himself: nothing should happen to Old Joe, he would just be amazed by the gutsy and stupid move of his younger self and would proceed to kill Cid’s mom.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 4:16pm
Tempted to vote for Blade Runner 2049 on first instinct. There's several films I really enjoyed here though, such as Mad Max Fury Road, Interstellar, Inception, Annihilation and Edge of Tomorrow. Tough selection. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
MorniumGoatahl View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorniumGoatahl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 3:58pm
I've seen Looper. It's been a while though. I don't recall the fine details about it. How did they mess up the time loop? 
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 3:53pm
There's a number I haven't seen yet, but of the ones I have, I was really impressed with Interstellar. Didn't expect a lot, but it really delivered, with a smart story and some good science. Edge of Tomorrow, Blade Runner 2049, and Star Wars: The Force Awakens all helped revive my faith in modern SF. Looper on the other hand, did it's best to fuck it all up again, by messing up the time loop and delivering a really lame story.
MorniumGoatahl View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorniumGoatahl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 3:45pm
Inspired by the 00's poll. 25 sci-fi films released between 2010-2018. Pick the one you like the most. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic