MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Merge with progarchives?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javajeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Merge with progarchives?
    Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 6:52am
There is so much overlap, I think both sites can become one and both domains can go to the same place.  This site has the better rating system and the means to label albums in different subgenres.

Many progressive listeners also listen to metal so it would be a larger community and a larger selection of albums.  Merging the databases would be a challenge, but anything is possible.

...just a thought!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 7:12am
I won't say that there are no positives to that idea, but there are far more drawbacks as to why it would never work, chief among them being this: PA is looking at things based on how progressive they are. Therefore some artists/releases that we would tag as progressive metal on MMA they may outright refuse to list on PA for not being prog enough. From a prog perspective that may be the right call, even if the artist/release fits fine in Progressive Metal on MMA. Likewise PA may want to take artists which to us are clearly bonafide metal artists for their other sub-genres, as they already do such as their placement of Haken as Heavy Prog (very clearly metal) or Factory of Dreams as Neo-Prog (also very clearly metal). 

Also behind the scenes the approval systems for artist additions are very different on MMA than on PA, including for the Progressive Metal sub-genre, because of the above. 

The admin teams on both sites are completely different. They probably run their site different than we do MMA. Most of us even lack a PA background on MMA, despite being a sister site of them. If we were to merge they'd be an unnecessary power struggle between the two groups, each who would have their own ideas on how things should be run and neither of them strictly right or wrong. It would be messy, especially in regard to how collaborators are recruited, which is a very different process here than there. 

Finally, we rather like being separate. Tongue
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 7:40am
We’re also better looking and nicer 😉

I can also see some merit in the suggestion and it may work at least in principle if we were able to multi-tag acts which could fall into more than one bucket, including prog metal and neo-prog, but it would be a significant undertaking and could possibly dilute the usp of both sites. It would remove some duplication of effort though.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 2:13pm
I've just added a band called Alien Fucker. I doubt there'd be many from Prog Archives keen to look it up.Wink
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 2:51pm
Adding to what has been said already I remember on PA the only people who could add bands were members of that sub-genres team and all team members had to evaluate before they could be added. It took ages!
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 8:03pm
If we were to merge with another genre we might as well just create another version of Rate Your Music and add everything. In reality they are already close relatives along with JMA so having three sites with a different team of volunteers is probably easier to manage. Each site has their own distinct personality. Why ruin that? Plus it would NEVER happen. Whatcha been smokin? Huh? LOL
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

If we were to merge with another genre we might as well just create another version of Rate Your Music and add everything. In reality they are already close relatives along with JMA so having three sites with a different team of volunteers is probably easier to manage. Each site has their own distinct personality. Why ruin that? Plus it would NEVER happen. Whatcha been smokin? Huh? LOL

I thought the proggy people partook of halucinogens, while the jazz lovers were on reefer, and us metalheads just got blind stinking drunk on anything we could find.Smile
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 6:24am
^ ok, i guess we should just change our name here to www.blindstinkingdrunkmusicarchives.com? Dead
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 8:11am
In all seriousness I have wondered whether we should rebrand to something like 'Heavy Music Archives' though, since we don't cover just metal and Hard Rock and Hardcore Punk have moved up from being supplemental genres.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 3:41pm
^ I have always secretly hoped punk could be added to this site. However if we called it heavy music archives then we would have to include ALL heavy music including hardcore electronica, insanely crazy jazz and the list could go on. 

And after all, is it even within the realms of possibility? The site has already established itself as MMA and to switch gears at this point would probably do the site more harm than good. I think it's fine as it is and the inclusion of the hard rock, hardcore punk and metal related are only supplemental to a much larger metal focus.
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javajeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 4:04am
I listen to mostly prog, but I tend to branch out into heavier stuff.  Merging would be a one stop shop for me, but I do not mind two places either.  I wish the population was higher on Metal Music Archives as bands I discover have very few reviews since I do not hover around mainstream metal.

Also, bands find ways to be original by blending genres. We will likely continue to see new genres being created to follow the trends in music.  That sounds like a progression.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 6:42am
^ yeah, understood. Genres are definately getting trickier to pigeonhole however if anything has even the slightest whiff of metal, it ends up here. To be fair even bigger sites like RYM and EM have many obscure artists with no reviews. Escpecially avant-garde stuff. I need to work on that section more. Been too busy lately.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 6:51am
Originally posted by javajeff javajeff wrote:

I listen to mostly prog, but I tend to branch out into heavier stuff.  Merging would be a one stop shop for me, but I do not mind two places either.  I wish the population was higher on Metal Music Archives as bands I discover have very few reviews since I do not hover around mainstream metal.

Also, bands find ways to be original by blending genres. We will likely continue to see new genres being created to follow the trends in music.  That sounds like a progression.

You are always welcome to ask for recommendations. People here are usually very helpful, if you give some details to what you enjoy listening to. In the perfect World, each release on the site would have minimum one review, but that´s probably never going to happen. We do what we can though, those of us who post reviews here.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic