Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Internal news
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MMA Reviewer's Challenge April 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MMA Reviewer's Challenge April 2018
    Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 7:58am
The next Metal Music Archives Reviewer's Challenge will be officially held across the month of April. This time around we are trying a bit of a different format where we will not be selecting any specific release for everyone to review or have a specific release selected for each individual participant. Instead, we are challenging our reviews to submit as many reviews as they can until the end of April, focusing on releases in the database that have either not been reviewed at all, or only have a small amount of reviews (maximum 2). We're hoping to see both reviews for neglected classics and hidden gems alike. 

Unlike previous Reviewer's Challenges, there is no official sign-up this time, just this open invitation to take part - in fact all reviews posted across April will be counted. Likewise, how you obtain the albums to listen to and review is up to you. Spotify and Bandcamp remain good sources for full, legally streamable albums, but maybe you simply own something in your collection that hasn't had much of a look in on MMA yet. 

The only rules we will impose here is that A) the challenge is aimed at older release reviews only. Reviews submitted for new releases, meaning 2017-2018 albums, will not be counted. 2016 or older only. This is so the new release section of the MMA home page isn't disturbed by the Reviewer's Challenge. And B) we'll only accept cross-posted reviews if they came here immediately (A.K.A. they're newly written). We won't accept any from a backlog to avoid someone dominating the event without putting in any effort. You can still post them, they just won't be scored. Cross-posted reviewed must reference the original post in this event. 

There's no prize for being the most prolific reviewer during this event other than bragging rights and the satisfaction that you've helped improve MMA's collection of reviews, and thus our charts of the top rated albums on the site. The reviews will be scored by an independent admin (not myself as I wish to take part) and the reviewer with the most points at the end of April will get a shout-out for their work via social media. 

The scoring system will be as follows:

3 points for reviewing an unreviewed album.
2 points for reviewing an album with one prior review.
1 point for reviewing an album with two prior reviews. 

Nothing else will earn points, though you are still expected to follow MMA reviewing guidelines. 

And finally the most important thing: just have fun. 

Edited by adg211288 - 31 Mar 2018 at 3:54pm
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Warthur View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 11:04am
I've just done some playing around with the top album list page (http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/topalbums.aspx?lstReleaseTypes=1&MinNRatings=30&MaxResults=25#list) to see if I can filter it to find promising candidates for this.

If you set minimum number of ratings to 0, maximum number of to something like 5, leave minimum average rating value at 0 and set maximum results to 100 you'll get a big fat list of albums with only have at most 5 ratings. Since albums tend to have more ratings than reviews, most of the albums on the list will fit the "no more than 2 reviews" criteria for the challenge.

If you want some real obscurities, if you set minimum number of ratings to 1, maximum number to 1 or 2, minimum average at 0 and maximum results to 100 you get a host of real obscurities, all of which should by definition count for the challenge.

What I haven't worked out is whether there's a convenient way to list all the releases on the site which have 0 ratings.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 11:44am
I don’t think there is. The search function is less than perfect, unfortunately.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 12:15pm
The trouble is that on any site that a release with 0 ratings won't appear on an actual chart. 

I do recommend keeping track of my yearly List Challenge series though: there's a few obscure albums on each posted so far from 1980 and 1981 that I recall don't have reviews and some of the bands were only recently added. Whether you'll be able to find them to listen to is another thing but how you track albums down this time is completely up to you. 

If you've not heard of the album there's a good chance it has no reviews!

Edited by adg211288 - 23 Mar 2018 at 12:17pm
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 12:38pm
Here's a good site for listening to old obscure metal albums:

http://www.metal-samples.com/
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 4:36am
Also just to reiterate something Warthur has asked me in PM, we'll overlook the usual 'no more more than 3 reviews a day' request during April. We really are looking for as many as possible to boost our charts during this time. 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 10:32pm
Also, you don't have to look for obscure albums to review. There's a ton of classics that have 1, 2 or no reviews.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 12:59am
I think I'm going to to focus on ones in my own CD collection that have either no or minimal reviews. I've already selected a few candidates. 
GG2U

DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 1:37pm
Yeah, and when I checked through power metal albums, I noticed a bunch of my favorites that had no ratings, so my goal is to get 4-5 of those done during the challenge, then continue working through them over time after the challenge, while still balancing it out with my promo reviews, of course.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 1:51pm
I haven't fully checked my collection yet for suitable releases but I already have one power metal album lined up (and already writing for) and a few black metal ones all without reviews, two of them in the new Pagan Black Metal sub. 
GG2U

Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 4:32am
Since this is very close to starting here are a few extra details on the scoring, which I've volunteered to be in charge of:

This isn't a contest, the scoring is only there for us to keep track of events and see how well this idea works. If it does we may do it again sometime, though I expect the next Reviewer's Challenge will use a more traditional method.

As I won't be around 24/7, I think the best way for score to be kept track of if if I comment the points awarded on each review: that way in the event that I do miss one, poissibly due to it falling off the home page before I can see it, you can comment on your own review to draw attention to it again. That or just PM me. But do one or the other if I haven't commented on your review within 24 hours, if you believe it should have earned points.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 1:41am
If I post something too early because of the time difference, it still better bloody count!Wink

Are we putting a tag on these reviews, or not worth the trouble? As in, like this:

MMA Reviewer's Challenge: May 2016
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 2:05am
I wasn't going to bother but might be an idea for you to at least just comment on any early ones in case of time zone differences. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 2:23am
OK. I'm not gonna manage THAT many though.LOL
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 6:17am
I was just going to count any that appeared after I last checked the day before.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 5:49pm
Should we chuck any reviews we do in a list here? I think it might make it easier to keep track of what other people are doing, so nothing gets missed.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 12:34am
Might be a good idea. 
GG2U

Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 11:46am
If you like I will make a post on Sunday that publicly keeps track of the scores.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 3:41pm
Yes please! I intend to post some reviews tomorrow (Sunday) morning, which will be Saturday night for the civilized world. I can stick them on a list later on.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 2:39am
I'll make it in advance now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic