Slayer to retire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slayer to retire
    Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 9:28am
It's good in a way to see Slayer walk off into the sunset.  Some bands tend to overstay their welcome, but it is harder to make a living playing music, so I can't really judge too harshly if they need the money.  That being said, I'm sure Ozzy has more than enough LOL

I always had mixed feelings about their want to continue after Jeff died, but it made good sense to have Gary Holt be the man to fill his shoes.  I remember really enjoying the Ultimate Revenge VHS tape with Exodus, Slayer, and Venom when I was first getting into the band.  Both Exodus and Slayer seemed pretty tight in their early careers.

This upcoming farewell tour would have been a dream lineup for me back in high school.  Anthrax were one of the first thrash metal bands I got into (although my introduction was the Bush years), Lamb of God were really starting to explode at the time, and Testament were like this secret, awesome band that only my brother and I seemingly knew about (back in the early 2000s, they were fairly obscure).  I'm really looking forward to it!!
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

I'd go and see them a FIRST time if possible!

I'm glad they're going out near the top of their game. The albums this century have all been solid, and are all better than almost everything the other 3 of the Big 4 have been releasing. There's really not a masterpiece left in them though. Metallica and Megadeth are well past their best, and I thought Anthrax had been holding up well until the most recent album, but it might be time for them to hang up their guitars too.

I know Tom Araya wants to retire, but it might be very interesting to see what Kerry King does post-Slayer. Join Exodus maybe? Start something else?

Top of their game? Hardly if you ask me. Repentless was not bad but not that good either. 

Join Exodus? I hope not, Exodus are great the way they are. 
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 11:28am
I saw then twice back in the 80's but never seen them since unfortunately.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 10:33am
I'd go and see them a FIRST time if possible!

I'm glad they're going out near the top of their game. The albums this century have all been solid, and are all better than almost everything the other 3 of the Big 4 have been releasing. There's really not a masterpiece left in them though. Metallica and Megadeth are well past their best, and I thought Anthrax had been holding up well until the most recent album, but it might be time for them to hang up their guitars too.

I know Tom Araya wants to retire, but it might be very interesting to see what Kerry King does post-Slayer. Join Exodus maybe? Start something else?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 8:32am
I saw them close the CopenHell 2017 festival last year, and damn they were great. Probably the best Slayer show I´ve seen, and I´ve seen quite a few over the years, so it´s definitely not because they can´t perform at a high level anymore, but probably because Tom is just tired of touring and want to spend his time doing something else.

As far as recordings go, I enjoy every album the band have ever released, but there hasn´t been anything resembling a masterpiece since Seasons in the Abyss, although a few of the later albums have been really great too, so maybe it´s not such a huge catastrophy in the recording department, that they leave the discography they have now.

I´ll definitely go see them a last time if possible...
Sisslith View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sisslith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 8:23am
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Sad news, but it was bound to happen. 

I hope I can finally get to see them on their last tour.
This.

Well, performing Raining Blood at 56 must be really tough. I think it's better to retire while you are a legend than perform until you can't even deliver a decent performance like KISS...
Only the dead have seen the end of war.
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 4:12pm
Sad news, but it was bound to happen. 

I hope I can finally get to see them on their last tour.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 4:12pm
Aw what a bummer, that's a real shame.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 2:57pm
It had to happen eventually.Cry

SLAYER will "make its exit" with one final world tour, it has been revealed.

The legendary thrash metal band announced its plans via a video featuring a compilation of press clippings, early posters and press photos spanning the group's entire career.

In addition, SLAYER has confirmed that it will hit the road in North America this summer, with support from LAMB OF GODANTHRAXTESTAMENT and BEHEMOTH. The run of dates is expected to be officially announced later this week.

SLAYERLAMB OF GOD and BEHEMOTH last toured North America together in the summer of 2017.

< name="fsk__split" id="fsk__split" border="0" allowfullscreen="" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" style="-sizing: border-; max-width: 100%; width: 637.453px; height: 0px; border-width: initial; border-style: none; margin: 0px;">

SLAYER bassist/vocalist Tom Araya talked about his possible retirement in a 2016 interview with Loudwire. He said: "At 35 years, it's time to collect my pension. [Laughs] This is a career move." He continued: "I'm grateful that we've been around for 35 years; that's a really long time. So, yeah, to me, it is. Because when we started off, everything was great, because you're young and invincible. And then there came a time where I became a family man, and I had a tough time flying back and forth. And now, at this stage, at the level we're at now, I can do that; I can fly home when I want to, on days off, and spend some time with my family, which is something I wasn't able to do when [my kids] were growing up. Now they're both older and mature. So now I take advantage of that." Araya added: "Yeah, it just gets harder and harder to come back out on the road. 35 years is a long time."

Tom also revealed another reason for his diminished enjoyment of the touring life. He said: "There's things that have gone on in my life that have made me change how I play as a bass player. I had neck surgery, so I can't headbang anymore. And that was a big part of what I enjoyed doing what I do — singing and headbanging. I liked knowing that I was one of the fucking badass headbangers. That played a big part. Now I just groove with the music, which is cool, because I'm grooving with the music and the feel of the songs, so that's changed a little for me."

A few months later, SLAYER guitarist Kerry King told Germany's EMP Rock Invasion that Araya was "very unclear" about his plans for the band's future. "That's just how he is," Kerrysaid. "I don't know if he likes holding his cards in his pocket or what." He continued: "I mean, I don't have an answer [as to what the future holds for SLAYER]. I'm holding off a lot of things I wanna do at home, just 'cause I don't know if I'm gonna be working in two years. I'm gonna be working, hopefully in SLAYER. Yeah, dude. What else am I gonna do? I came out of high school and fucking went on tour. [Laughs]"

Pressed about whether there was any end in sight for SLAYERKing said: "Not for me. Not for me, man — especially on such a good record [2015's 'Repentless']."

When the interviewer said that he was looking forward to another 35 years of SLAYERKerrysaid: "Well, I don't know about that. I'll take another record or two."

SLAYER has been touring in support of its latest album, "Repentless", which was released in September 2015 via Nuclear Blast. That effort marked the band's first release since the death of SLAYER's co-founding guitarist Jeff Hanneman.

Hanneman contracted necrotizing fasciitis, also known as flesh-eating disease, in January 2011 from a spider bite in his backyard. The infection ravaged the flesh and tissues of Hanneman's arm, leading to numerous surgeries, skin grafts and intense periods of rehab that forced him into semi-retirement and left him near death at several points.

Hanneman eventually died in May 2013 from alcohol-related cirrhosis of the liver. He is credited for writing many of SLAYER's classic songs, including "Angel Of Death" and "South Of Heaven".

Original SLAYER drummer Dave Lombardo was effectively fired from the band after sitting out the group's Australian tour in February/March 2013 due to a contract dispute with the other members of SLAYER. He has since been replaced by Paul Bostaph, who was previously SLAYER's drummer from 1992 until 2001 and recorded four albums with the band.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic