Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Static on Reissues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Static on Reissues
    Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 4:10am
A couple of years back, I bought Coney Hatch's second album and a Helix album on CD, reissued and remastered by the Rock Candy label. I had three or four other CDs on that label but these two albums had a major flaw in the sound quality: static. The first track on each were fine but as the album played on, a scratchy static sound gradually crept into the music, becoming worse as the album went on. Both albums sound so terrible that I don't even feel like listening to them because I notice the static more than the music. You should hear Brian Volmer singing a ballad with static clinging to his vocal work. Arrggh!

At the beginning of this year I brought home Tank's debut "Filth Hounds of Hades" reissued on a label from Sweden and it too has this static sound. Then last week, Jaguar's "Power Games" on the Dissonance label made it into my collection and for @#&%'s sake it also has static!

Currently three of these albums are available on other labels and I'm considering buying them again (at some point) and hoping that those have better sound quality.

Has anyone else experienced this with reissues? If you have heard the same CD on two different labels, did one have a cleaner sound than the other? It really bugs me because it spoils my enjoyment of the music!
A story told that can't be real somehow must reflect the truth we feel.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 4:28am
Nightmare. Not had that problem myself Peter. I take it these were small reissue labels that the albums were released on?
voila_la_scorie View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 6:06pm
Rock Candy seem to be pretty big. They are reissuing albums all the time and each CD comes with a booklet explaining about the history of the album. Dissonance Productions I don’t know but Heavy Sounds (Tank) seem to have at least some reissues to their credit. When I buy from Discogs I have the luxury of choosing the label provided there are people selling them and for a reasonable price. But Amazon sometimes has only one option and so with Jaguar, which I bought from Amazon, I was disappointed that the sound is so shoddy. For old obscure albums that were independently recorded or “lost gem” demos, I am forgiving. But there’s no good excuse here except carelessness or lack of know how.
A story told that can't be real somehow must reflect the truth we feel.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic