MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to MMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Four Seventies Bands for HR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Four Seventies Bands for HR
    Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 8:35am
So, I have been back into the seventies again very recently and I have brought home "Violations" by Starz (1977, second album) and "Teaze", the 1976 debut by Teaze. Both albums are strong hard rock, though Starz tend to go a little closer to pop rock in a couple of songs, even though they are still rock and roll hard rock and even a little dark in a track or two. Jack Douglas produced the album, so it's not too far a stretch to hear a similarity between them and Aerosmith at times. Teaze are a bit more hard edged and rawer, though this is the debut and I think their sophomore is, like Starz's, getting a bit more commercial.

Both albums I wanted to review tonight but the bands are not on this site. If they get approved by anyone, I can add them along with Jackal and Blue Max, which I proposed previously. I don't mind writing the bios and I think I can do that for a couple of bands around this time of year.

Two other albums I have on order are Alkana's "Welcome to My Paradise", which includes some rather advanced guitar recording (people say it sounds more early eighties than 1977) and Alpha Centauri's s/t debut, also of '77. I ordered these albums because of the great hard rock guitar sounds, though Alpha Centauri also feature a lot of keyboards and many comments on YouTube note their strong similarity to Uriah Heep.

Of the four albums, three can be heard on YouTube and the Starz album, though not on YouTube except for the song "Subway Terror" (best track IMO), can be sampled on iTunes.

I realize the hard rock admin(s) are swamped right now, but once again, if these bands get to be approved, I'll be glad to add them.

Cheers!
A story told that can't be real somehow must reflect the truth we feel.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 8:44am
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 8:48am
These bands will get looked at Peter but due to the temporary halt on HR additions which you can read about in Adams link above it mat be some time before they get looked at. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 8:55am
But do read Nicole's post in that thread: she's removed the need for approval so long as you have some sources that back up the placement. As far as I can see using RYM votes most of these would be OK. The only one that would have to be evaluated is Alpha Centauri, since they are tagged AOR/Hard Rock. For Starz the album Attention Shoppers! also looks suspect since it has a three way primary of Hard Rock, Power Pop and AOR.  
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
voila_la_scorie View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 4:20am
Thanks, adg211288. Yes, I caught a glimpse of a thread that said there was a ban on HR. But since I was ordering CDs and evaluating them for reviews, I at least wanted to put a foot in the door.

Teaze is very typical hard rock for the mid-seventies though the vocals aren't top notch. I listened a bit to their second album but as with many bands, it starts to sound more radio friendly and I'm sure that's the way they went like many bands.

Violations by Starz has some good hard rockers and at least one pretty pop song. I heard their debut was harder rock and I have read that Attention Shoppers was the label's attempt to break them into the mainstream, so that is regarded as a disaster by fans.

I just received Alpha Centauri today and I'll listen to it tomorrow. So at least I'll be able to say whether it's truly worth considering or if it isn't closer to AOR. With all the keyboards, it might just be.

Alkana still hasn't arrived yet.

I know there is a lot of work to be done in HR, but if anyone gives a green light to any of the bands I've mentioned, I will try to make time to add them. A few of them have only a single album anyway. (There were two I mentioned last year that I heard were admitted but no one in HR has ahad the time to add them and I was busy too - Headpins and Slik Toxik)

So, let me know for what I can be of service and I'll do what I can.

Thanks all! Gotta catch a train now. I'll read the link later tonight or tomorrow.
voila_la_scorie View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 5:02am
Wow! So I read about 68.7% of the thread about the ban, skipping some of the exchanges. Yes, I understand about wanting to clean up hard rock. I’ve seen a band or two get added that had me thinking, “Oh, they got accepted as HR? They’re not really hard most of the time though.” I think Trooper might still be here and they have very little that’s hard. I moved them from trad metal a couple of years back and considered suggesting their removal all together.

Anyway, I’m in proto-metal and my interest is mostly in sixties and seventies bands, even though recently I’ve been buying a lot of post 1990 stuff. My interest means that I actively seek out older bands who cranked the distortion and developed or employed elements of rock that we now identify with metal. Since much of what was actually called “heavy metal” in the seventies is now classified as hard rock, that means most of the new old bands I find will be under proto or HR. I simply can’t keep up with most others on this site who have been following careers of bands for the last twenty years while I’m only just picking up my first album or two.

Well, I’m just not going to argue about any sound decisions other collabs want to make. But if I can help out assessing a band or writing a bio I’ll help when I can.

By the way, EM is not as easy to navigate as MMA. I always have to look at their purple letters or vermillion or whatever it is on a black background and try to find the reviews. When checking out a band, I come here first.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic