Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heavy metal has faded as an art form...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heavy metal has faded as an art form...
    Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 5:05am
...and other strange nonesense.

I found this interesting article published in the December 10, 1976 issue of “People Weekly”. The cover blurb reads, “Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin His songs spin heavy metal rock into platinum” and the article is titled “Heavy Metal Gods”.

The first paragraph includes this statement, “That was the Heavy Metal Age, roughly 1969-71, when one group, Great Britain’s Led Zeppelin, emerged as the genre’s unrivaled sovereign.” It continues in the second paragraph: “Heavy metal is the music that most closely commits artistic child abuse, aimed, as it is, at a constituency presumably under 18. Led Zep’s pulverizing force has made it a sound to get cauliflower ear by and, as such, is preferably experienced in a semiconscious state.” The paragraph concludes by stating, “Though heavy metal has faded as an art form, Led Zeppelin continues to pillage and plunder the land, as ever the most puissant rock group on earth.”

Robert Plant expresses his disdain for being associated with heavy metal a little further on in the article. “They have allowed our name to be linked with that horrendous boring period of music—heavy metal. I hate the term.”

Robert Plant isn’t the only progenitor of early and proto-metal who doesn’t care to be hailed as a father-of-metal hero.

Ian Gillan – “Heavy metal is a term that is just unintentionally clumsy. It induces anything from a raised eyebrow to mild nausea in most of the musicians I know.”

Ginger Baker – “People say Cream gave birth to heavy metal. If that’s so, we should have had an abortion.”

Jack Bruce – I still don’t take the blame for inventing heavy metal. Hang that one on Led Zeppelin.”

Dickie Peterson – “People keep trying to say that we’re heavy metal or grunge or punk, or we’re this or that. The reality is, we’re just a power trio and we play ultra blues and it’s rock ‘n roll.”

Dear Lemmy Kilmister (God rest his soul if he’ll let Him) never completely rejected being associated with heavy metal though he always insisted his band played rock ‘n roll and that heavy metal was just another form of rock ‘n roll. At least Ray Davies seems to take a certain pride in his and brother Dave’s invention of riff busters “You Really Got Me” and “All Day and All of the Night”. I mean, gee whiz guys, take a bow for helping create a style of music that has attracted millions of fans around the world for the last few decades, and has inspired legions of artists and musicians to push the envelope of possibilities with their respective instruments.

Anyway, the People article was interesting because of how they spoke of heavy metal in 1976. Led Zeppelin – heavy metal gods. The Heavy Metal Age, roughly 1969-71. “That horrendous boring period of music.” Heavy metal has faded as an art form.

It would be interesting to find more articles from the seventies and read how the authors use and reference the term heavy metal.

The People Weekly article is here: http://people.com/archive/cover-story-heavy-metal-gods-vol-6-no-25/

A story told that can't be real somehow must reflect the truth we feel.
Sisslith View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sisslith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 6:02am
That quite surprised me. I didn't know heavy metal was so despised by these musicians back then. Tremendously stupid statements Disapprove
Only the dead have seen the end of war.
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 6:22am
I’ve actually heard quotes before from Messrs Plant, Gillan and Kilmister denying the heavy metal links to Zep, Purple and Motorhead, and also from Angus Young. Lemmy has stated that Motorhead are more punk than metal. Rob Halford on the other hand has never denied his metal heritage, the old Metal God that he is 🙂
voila_la_scorie View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Sisslith Sisslith wrote:

That quite surprised me. I didn't know heavy metal was so despised by these musicians back then. Tremendously stupid statements Disapprove

I first noticed it when I heard Gillan in an interview in 2007 say he thought heavy metal was the most unflattering term for any style of music. Then I saw on Metal Evolution that Sam Dunn couldn't get an interview with Page and Plant because they didn't want to be associated with heavy metal. That got me looking last night.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

I’ve actually heard quotes before from Messrs Plant, Gillan and Kilmister denying the heavy metal links to Zep, Purple and Motorhead, and also from Angus Young. Lemmy has stated that Motorhead are more punk than metal. Rob Halford on the other hand has never denied his metal heritage, the old Metal God that he is 🙂

Yes. Halford was the next generation and so he was proud of it. So were many bands in the eighties who we would call hard rock these days. I'm surprised to hear Ray Davies suggest he invented heavy metal with those two Kinks' songs he wrote in 64.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 9:43am
Ha ha, they sound like the old men they are today...ridiculous that those statements are from the 70s, when they themselves weren´t more than maximum in their mid 30s. Some of them sound really conservative in their view on heavy music, considering that most of them are usually Associated with a hedonistic rock star life style.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 9:43am
Rod Stewart has also claimed credit due to his time with The Faces. That said, Stay With Me has to be the greatest piece of 1970s hard rook swagger ever recorded.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 3:16am
Stay With Me is not heavy enough.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 2:36pm
^ bloody good track though in my opinion. And no, of course it’s not heavy metal.

I was chatting to my youngest and his mate tonight and they commented that their peers didn’t listen to rock music like happened when I was 17. A few minutes ago I was flicking through the channels of the tv, and Harry Styles was on that bloody awful XFactor, backed by a band of long haired leather clad rock musicians. The track wasn’t great but it was certainly rock. And everyone was jumping around dancing in a way they don’t usually on that programme. The only thing needed to resuscitate hard rock and metal is probably airplay. When radio only plays grime and r’n’b, it doesn’t stand a chance.

Edited by Bosh66 - 11 Nov 2017 at 2:38pm
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 9:02pm
Well, the statement "heavy metal has faded as an artform" isn't totally inaccurate. It is a matured genre at this point and has lost all that shock and awe. While many great albums are released, there is usually a sense of uniformity. It certainly has lost its ability to bug parents when some of the early gods of metal are grandparents at this point! Add to that the competetiion of all music from all of history availalbe at the stroke of a keyboard. It's a great art form but nevertheless one that has lost its domiance to engage the rebel masses :)
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 1:57am
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Well, the statement "heavy metal has faded as an artform" isn't totally inaccurate. It is a matured genre at this point and has lost all that shock and awe. While many great albums are released, there is usually a sense of uniformity. It certainly has lost its ability to bug parents when some of the early gods of metal are grandparents at this point! Add to that the competetiion of all music from all of history availalbe at the stroke of a keyboard. It's a great art form but nevertheless one that has lost its domiance to engage the rebel masses :)

I just saw a web page the other night claiming that metal was dead and for the reasons that were illustrated in ten photographs from a metal fest, photos that included pink T-shirts and moms who like heavy metal. 

Well, at my age, heavy metal doesn't need to be rebellious or shocking. It just has to sound freakin' awesome!  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic