MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

20 2017 Death Metal Albums you must hear...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20 2017 Death Metal Albums you must hear...
    Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 9:33am
2017 has been a great year for death metal with some excellent albums from the greats as well as newer bands. I've missed out plenty of good ones but below, in no particular order, are my 20 favourite so far...

Beneath - Ephemeris. Stunning Tech death from Iceland.

Immolation - Attonement. The kings of dissonance return with one of their best.

Venenum - Trance Of Death. Prog death of the highest order.

The Lurking Fear - Out Of The Voiceless Grave. Lovecraftian old school from this Swedish supergroup.

Suffocation - ...Of The Dark Light. A more clinical production but still Suffocation doing their brutal death with groove brilliantly.

Dyscarnate - With All Their Might. UK DM at its best.

Incantation - Profane Nexus. Another winner with their dense, murky and incredibly heavy sound.The third New York death metal band to feature in the list.

Abhorrent Decimation - The Pardoner. Their debut was impressive but here they show considerable growth with a remarkably mature piece of work.

Temple Of Void - Lords Of Death. Best death doom album this year as far as i'm concerned.

Septicflesh - Codex Omega. Symphonic death metal. Their best yet?

Goatwhore - Vengeful Ascension. Death/thrash/black - Goatwhore straddle the genres but do it amazingly well.

Necrot - Blood Offerings. New old school done incredibly well.

Firespawn - The Reprobate. After a promising debut from this Swedish supergroup (another one) they have up their game and bettered it.

Hideous Divinity - Adveniens. Tech death album of the year? Quite possibly.

Vampire - With Primeval Force. Old school death/thrash with killer hooks.

Lantern - II:Morphosis. Brilliant blackened death from Finland.

Obituary - Obituary. Not groundbreaking, just Obituary doing what they do very well.

Ritualization - Sacrements To The Sons Of The Abyss. A relentless onslaught! For fans of Angelcorpse.

Dying Fetus - Wrong One To Fuck With. More brutal tech with groove.

Origin - Unparalled Universe. More great tech death from USA masters.

There it is then, not exhaustive of course and loads of great albums missed out by the likes of Vallenfyre, Decapitated, God Dethroned, Ulsect, Apostate Viaticum, Ensnared, Svart Crown, Evocation, Mors Principium Est and Hour Of Penance to name a few.

Feel free to add below any you would include.

Edited by Nightfly - 21 Oct 2017 at 3:35pm
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 9:34am
A nice idea, Paul. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the list added.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 9:39am
^ Thanks Nicole. On with it now. My internet keeps cutting out today and I didn't want to compile the whole list in a single post and lose it all so I'm going back in to edit it bit at a time.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 11:34am
I'll throw this one in as a recommendation here. #1 death metal album on RYM for 2017. In black metal right now here, but there's been a bit of debate about moving it.

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 11:42am
Overall I haven't reviewed too much death metal out this year, just the following in addition to the above:

Reviewed albums:

Divine Element - Thaurachs of Borsu
Artificial Brain - Infrared Horizon
Deus Otiosus - Opposer
Arch Enemy - Will to Power

Not reviewed but also heard the following at least once:

Ex Deo - The Immortal Wars
Ulsect - Ulsect
Succumb - Succumb
John Frum - A Stirring in the Noos
Exocrine - Ascension
Rendered Helpless - Entities of Transdimensional Emergence 
Hideous Divinity - Adveniens
Hour of Penance - Cast the First Stone
Temple of Void - Lords of Death
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 11:44am
I'll throw this one in as second recommendation for you Paul. Death-doom but will certainly hold a lot of appeal to the old school death metal crowd to my ears. I've a review lined up for my next post either tomorrow or Monday.

GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 11:51am

These are the two best death metal albums I've heard this year. Obituary is Obituary, the only old school death metal band around today that still knows that death metal is supposed to be raw, crushing, and heavy as hell.

Xibalba's new EP is amazing. It just has such a massive sound. When Dan Seagrave's art adorns an album cover, you know it's all old school.

Edited by Unitron - 21 Oct 2017 at 11:56am
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I'll throw this one in as a recommendation here. #1 death metal album on RYM for 2017. In black metal right now here, but there's been a bit of debate about moving it.

Never heard that one but I'm intrigued.
Sisslith View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sisslith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 3:47am
Only the dead have seen the end of war.
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 8:39am
Of course these 2 are still to come - sure to be essential listening but how good they are remains to be seen...

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 9:05am
^ The Cannibal Corpse album should definitely be added to the list. Sounds great!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic