0 [0.00%]
2 [16.67%]
1 [8.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 7:24pm
I only just picked up a couple of Paradise Lost albums during the summer. "Gothic" was my first choice because that seemed to be the one to get along with "Icon" but the latter didn't impress me as much for some reason. Then "Shades of God" was cheaper so I bought that and I was listening to it the other day and thinking it was really a terrific album. I managed to snag "Gothic" as well and I also have a high opinion of that one too (reviews of both to come). The rest I don't know; however, I have in mind to pick up at least one or two other albums. The band have a sound that is both inspired by Black Sabbath and fresh sounding. That I get from the two albums I have.
A story told that can't be real somehow must reflect the truth we feel.
voila_la_scorie View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 7:25pm
From what I heard, the debut sounds good too.
A story told that can't be real somehow must reflect the truth we feel.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 11:39pm
^The debut is great too. Raw and unpolished doom/death metal. Nick Holmes vocals are killer on that album. One of the best growlers of his time.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 12:25am
Icon is my favorite.

TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 12:56am
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Originally posted by TheHeavyMetalCat TheHeavyMetalCat wrote:

Collab question but if The Plague Within is doom enough to be in Doom Metal here over Gothic Metal, should it not be Death-Doom Metal like Medusa?

I think on that logic then the answer would be yes but based on the one listen I've given that album I'm not sure it still isn't a bit more on the gothic metal side. I heard a major difference in the guitar style compared to Medusa. 

Sound-wise I see it as bridge between the gothic stuff and Medusa. The sound of The Plague Within doesn't suggest death doom to me.

Then maybe Gothic Metal would be the better tag?
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 12:58am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

So why is no one voting in the poll? Is it too hard to pick the best?

They have 15 albums. It's going to take those of us who don't know them well a bit of time to explore all their work and become familiar enough with it to vote.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 12:01am
Been catching up on a few of these. Gone with Shades of God as I suspected I would.
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 7:01am
It's been years since I listened to anything by them. I'll have to revisit the ones I have and catch up on a few I've missed.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 12:35pm
I've listened to their first five as well as Medusa, and I enjoyed all of them. Right now, I'd say my favorites are tied between Lost Paradise and Shades of God.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 12:50pm
Checked out a few more:

Lost Paradise
Icon
One Second
In Requiem
Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us

I definitely like their doom albums more in general, but was impressed by In Requiem. Wasn't so keen on One Second though.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 12:55pm
One has to wonder what RYM is playing at with the Medusa tags though, with the three way primary of Doom Metal, Gothic Metal and Death Doom Metal. Surely this one is no less Death-Doom than at least Gothic and Shades of God?
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 1:06pm

One has to wonder what RYM is playing at with the Medusa tags though, with the three way primary of Doom Metal, Gothic Metal and Death Doom Metal. Surely this one is no less Death-Doom than at least Gothic and Shades of God?

Haven't heard it yet but it's probably one of those cases where people are listening to it once without paying much attention then voting for whatever is green at the time or what the previous albums sound like/are tagged as.

It's usually better to read the comments on genre contested albums like this. They provide a lot better insight about what it actually sounds like. In this case we have just one person defending the voting down for death doom, with a factually incorrect argument, that being that death-doom is a sub-genre of death metal rather than doom metal. Which is especially important on RYM since the death doom tag only has doom metal as its parent and not both doom and death metal.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 1:18pm
To be honest I think Medusa sounds more 'death' overall than Shades of God does. There are gothic metal elements (secondary in RYM terms at best to my ears) but I can't see how that's swaying anyone since Shades of God has those too, as does Gothic. Production wise it's more modern sounding and polished, but that isn't a reason to preclude it. 

It may have something to do with the fact that The Plague Within was growl heavy too, and that album gained little traction for death-doom primary so the early voters probably assumed this one to be more of the same. Which is wrong, but most RYM'ers do seem to leave their votes after just one listen. Fortunately the tag has gained support since then. The page will probably never be right now, but at least the true primary is there. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 1:21pm
Listening to Medusa now. Fearless Sky is a great start to it.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 1:29pm

It may have something to do with the fact that The Plague Within was growl heavy too, and that album gained little traction for death-doom primary so the early voters probably assumed this one to be more of the same. Which is wrong, but most RYM'ers do seem to leave their votes after just one listen. Fortunately the tag has gained support since then. The page will probably never be right now, but at least the true primary is there. 

I suppose that makes a warped kind of sense.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 2:43pm

Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Collab question but if The Plague Within is doom enough to be in Doom Metal here over Gothic Metal, should it not be Death-Doom Metal like Medusa?

I think on that logic then the answer would be yes but based on the one listen I've given that album I'm not sure it still isn't a bit more on the gothic metal side. I heard a major difference in the guitar style compared to Medusa. 

Sound-wise I see it as bridge between the gothic stuff and Medusa. The sound of The Plague Within doesn't suggest death doom to me.

Then maybe Gothic Metal would be the better tag?

I think depending on which songs you're listening too you could put forward a  valid arguments for gothic, doom and death doom but i think there's too much of the latter two to class it as a gothic album. I think it's current tag of doom covers it okay but death doom wouldn't be off the mark either though I think Medusa is where they fully embrace it.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 2:53pm
On reflection I think the last couple are as good as anything they've done. I've lived with The Plague Within a lot more than Medusa and still enjoy it so I'll vote for that.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 3:14pm
Playing The Plague Within at the moment. It's a very decent release.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 11:37am
Giving The Plague Within a second listen right now. I expected to have my copy of Tragic Idol by now, but it's looking increasingly like the ebay seller isn't going to send it since it's been nearly a week with no dispatch. I can see an item not received case coming at this rate.

So anyway, still got that one to check out along with Host, Believe in Nothing and Symbol of Life. Those three cover the period of the band I've the least interest in, based on what's been said of those albums both here and elsewhere, but I'll probably give each of them at least one listen for completionists sake. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

So why is no one voting in the poll? Is it too hard to pick the best?
I've never really listened to Paradise Lost, other than seeing them open for Nightwish in 2007. Seeing them live didn't make me want to pick up an album. Don't get me wrong, they weren't bad live by any means, just not my cup of tea.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic