0 [0.00%]
2 [16.67%]
1 [8.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paradise Lost
    Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 6:10am
A band I've been really enjoying lately. Paradise Lost are an early entry in the canon of both death-doom metal and gothic metal. They played the former on their first three albums and have made a surprise return to it on their recent material, but are best known for their gothic metal work, especially the albums Icon and Draconian Times. 

Typically I prefer doom metal over gothic metal, but I like both sounds from this band. I've had the albums One Second and In Requiem for a while, but it was only with Medusa that I became a major fan of their work. Their albums tend to be affordable, so I've managed to pick up the bulk of their discography already.

I've heard so far:

Lost Paradise
Gothic
Icon
Draconian Times
One Second
In Requiem
The Plague Within
Medusa

And I have on CD still to listen to:

Shades of God
Paradise Lost
Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us

+ Tragic Idol still in the post somewhere. 

So far I would point to probably Medusa as my favourite but that may be because it's basically the album that really made me a fan of them, so could change as I get to know the back catalogue some more. I also regard Draconian Times and In Requiem highly out of the gothic metal material. 

Vote for your favourite album on the poll and share some love for the band in the comments. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 10:38am
I´m really into Medusa too at the moment, and it is indeed a great album. I was a huge fan of Paradise Lost in the early days, and if I have to pick a favorite it would be between Gothic and Shades of God. I´m not 100% sure, but I´m actually leaning towards Shades of God. Both are pretty Unique sounding releases though.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 10:46am
Having got both Gothic and Shades of God just today I do have to say I prefer the latter, at least on first impressions. Gothic may grow on me but I found Shades of God to be a much more varied release. 
GG2U

TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 10:58am
I don't know much about this band. What would be a good introductory album?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 11:36am
Well I'm still new to the band myself but I'd say Medusa or Shades of God would be a good ones to offer a 'best of both worlds' sound. If you'd prefer them more heavily in death-doom territory then I'd say Gothic. Or for gothic metal, Draconian Times or In Requiem, which was one of the first I had from them earlier this year. It's only grown on me since getting more into the band. I find it a very heavy gothic metal album. 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 11:38am
I've heard of them for a long time, but never gotten around to listening to them. I should fix that.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 11:58am
It used to be Shades of God, Icon or Draconian Times, but I'm a total Gothic convert now. Haven't really kept up since One second, because that was getting too far away from what I liked.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by TheHeavyMetalCat TheHeavyMetalCat wrote:

I don't know much about this band. What would be a good introductory album?

Anything from Gothic to Draconian Times would be a good start. Lost Paradise has more death metal elements than the other albums, and after Draconian Times they went a bit... mainstream?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

after Draconian Times they went a bit... mainstream?

They did, but eventually came back from it, especially on the most recent two where Nick switched back to growling as his main style. 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 12:18pm
Listened to the debut, and I loved it. Is Gothic of similar style?
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 12:19pm
It's the closest, but you so start getting a few gothic metal elements even that early. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 12:21pm
I'll give Draconian Times a go first.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 1:10pm
I enjoyed Draconian Times but it didn't blow me away. Moving onto Medusa.

Sounds like a completely different band already.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 1:21pm
You'll hear bits in Medusa that are closer to their more pure gothic material, but overall it's back to death-doom. Actually, I find it a more pure death-doom metal affair than Shades of God. 

The more I listen to Medusa the more I think that the single Blood and Chaos is even a bit melodeath. 

Edited by adg211288 - 25 Sep 2017 at 1:21pm
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 2:15pm
Medusa was really good. I'll give a few more albums a shot tomorrow.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 2:44pm
First Paradise Lost album I ever bought was Draconian Times on the basis of a review I read at the time of release. When One Second came out I bought it straight away and was expecting more of the same but surprised at the change of sound which was more clinical with synths. Being more difficult to check albums out back then I wasn't aware of their earlier death doom sound until much later and after One Second I didn't check anything out for quite a while. Time has made me appreciate it more though I still don't love it.

Difficult to say my favourite as I can't even remember what some of those albums sound like as well as a few I've never heard even once. At the moment The Plague Within would probably be my choice. Can't think of any other albums of theirs I've enjoyed so much but I've been revisiting a few and trying some new (to me) ones. So far nothing beats it.

Edited by Nightfly - 25 Sep 2017 at 2:45pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 8:55am
Listened to Gothic, Shades of God and The Plague Within today. Going to try the debut next.

Loved the latter two, but to my surprise I found Gothic itself to be quite underwhelming.

Collab question but if The Plague Within is doom enough to be in Doom Metal here over Gothic Metal, should it not be Death-Doom Metal like Medusa?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 9:02am

Collab question but if The Plague Within is doom enough to be in Doom Metal here over Gothic Metal, should it not be Death-Doom Metal like Medusa?

I think on that logic then the answer would be yes but based on the one listen I've given that album I'm not sure it still isn't a bit more on the gothic metal side. I heard a major difference in the guitar style compared to Medusa. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I think on that logic then the answer would be yes but based on the one listen I've given that album I'm not sure it still isn't a bit more on the gothic metal side. I heard a major difference in the guitar style compared to Medusa. 

Sound-wise I see it as bridge between the gothic stuff and Medusa. The sound of The Plague Within doesn't suggest death doom to me.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 4:43pm
So why is no one voting in the poll? Is it too hard to pick the best?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic