2 [50.00%]
2 [50.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Debate: Volcanic Rock by Buffalo is Metal
    Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 12:58am
Inspired by the discussion of Satori, I felt like listening to some more early 70's heavy rock/metal albums, and I think Volcanic Rock by Buffalo is another album that belongs in heavy metal. To my ears, much of it sounds like it directly influenced bands like Soundgarden and could very well be called the first stoner metal album. The vocals are gravely, the sound is raw, and the riffs are heavy and can be both ominous and fast. Yet again, I think RYM has this one wrong, though this one doesn't even sound like heavy psych. Satori is at least both.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Unitron - 14 Sep 2017 at 1:02am
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:30am
Don't know them but even EM accepts this band as metal and unlike Flower Travellin' Band don't feel the need to state 'this is a selected exception' on their page.

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Buffalo/3540367303
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 10:11am
I'd say so, yes. I haven't listened to the full album but just a couple minutes in and I could tell it's metal.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:24pm
An important album to metal I don't doubt, but I have to say no. I'd have voted partially had the option been here like with the Satori poll, but I get a much stronger hard rock vibe off of this one, especially after the first track is out of the way. 

Of course Satori also has its parts which obviously aren't metal, but the overall guitar tone when they riff, playing style and even the vocals seem well across the hard rock/metal border...although I've listened to it a few times now (it's a great album that's going to have to find its way into my collection sometime) and I'm sort of two minds about what should be done with it. I do think it's metal enough, technically, but I think overall heavy psych is still the dominant genre because the metal parts are split between heavy and doom metal. That's a real grey area on MMA when using the notion that if it's at least 50% metal it has to be put in a metal sub. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 5:15pm
^You think so? I think the guitar tones on both albums are pretty metal sounding. Satori has a similar tone to Black Sabbath's debut, while Volcanic Rock is more of a Master of Reality sound. I would say 'Till My Death is a hard rock song, but most of the rest has similar proto-stoner metal riffing. 

I think the main difference with this album is that it sounds a lot like late 80's/90's stoner metal and grunge, as opposed to straight up heavy metal or doom metal. Btw, I meant for Maybe to be partially, as that's what I wrongly remembered the Satori poll being. 

Edited by Unitron - 14 Sep 2017 at 5:16pm
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 5:58am
Yeah that's the impression it gave me after one listen. I could have missed something though. I did have to stop and start it a few times before I had time to listen to it all, so my attention wasn't exactly fully focused. 

Take my view with a pinch of salt though because I also question whether Sir Lord Baltimore's debut is really more metal than hard rock. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 2:11am
In the 70s, the two terms "hard rock" and "heavy metal" were interchangeable at some point, even the term "Heavy rock" was used. 

If someone calls this band as heavy metal, I would not say they're wrong; should anyone call this hard rock, heavy psyche, heavy rock or proto metal, I wouldn't disagree either. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic