Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 15 Death Metal Albums

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 15 Death Metal Albums
    Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 1:40am
I was thinking about this today, so what's everyone's favorite death metal albums? 

Here's what my top 15 may look like:
Obituary - World Demise
Arch Enemy - Doomsday Machine
Dying Fetus - Destroy the Opposition
Obituary - The End Complete
Death - The Sound of Perseverance
Acrostichon - Engraved in Black
Carcass - Necroticism
Morbid Angel - Covenant
Atheist - Piece of Time
Nile - What Should Not Be Unearthed
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse
Sepultura - Schizophrenia
Cancer - Sins of Mankind
Death - Symbolic
Obituary - Obituary

It's hard to stop at 15, originally this was going to just be 10. LOL
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 1:43am
As you may be aware my relationship with death metal is hit and miss and I've long been on a project to revise my older ratings. For now here's five albums I know will keep their 5 star ratings.

Augury - Concealed
Arch Enemy - War Eternal
Lascaille's Shroud - The Roads Leading North
MaYaN - Antagonise
Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 3:23am
It´s an almost impossible task (but it´s always nice to be inspired and to inspire others to listen to what you think is great), and I´ll probably forget some albums, which deserve a place here, but I´ll give it a try:

Macabre - Dahmer (not strictly a death metal release, but Macabre are mostly accepted as death metal).
Morgoth - Odium (I know most people would mention "Cursed" instead of "Odium", but I love the post-apocalyptic atmosphere of Odium).
Pestilence - Testimony of the Ancients (it could also have been Consuming Impulse. I love that album too)
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence (today it´s probably not counted as death metal, but back then it was considered a weird jazzy form of death metal)
Carcass - Necroticism
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Darkthrone - Soulside Journey (I´m not a huge fan of their black metal releases, but their death metal debut album...hell yeah)
Entombed - Clandestine
Dismember - Like an Ever Flowing Stream (which is the only Dismember album I´m interested in. The rest are sub par to this one).
Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick (could have been Altars of Madness or Covenant too, but Blessed...always thrilled me a bit more)
Benediction - The Grand Leveller
Bolt Thrower - ...for Victory (could have been a few of the others too)
Napalm Death - Harmony Corruption (their only "true" death metal album)
Deicide - Deicide (the debut album had a huge impact on me when it was released. Sadly they were never able to follow it up with something of equal or better quality).
Death - Human (could have been Symbolic too)
Edge of Sanity - Unorthodox
Bloodbath - Nightmares Made Flesh
Suffocation - Pierced from Within 
Dying Fetus - Destroy the Opposition (all their albums are great, but this one and the predecessor are the strongest IMO)
Obituary - The End Complete (Obituary are incredibly consistent in style and quality, but this album is just a notch above the rest IMO).
Black Breath - Slaves Beyond Death (this album deserves far more attention than it has gotten. Had this been released in the early 90s, it would have been a death metal hit).
Atrocity - Hallucinations (this one seems like it´s been forgotten by time, and the fact that Atrocity changed their sound drastically throughout the years probably hasn´t helped either. If you haven´t heard of this album already, give it shot. It´s killer technical death metal with a great concept story).
Cynic - Focus (well not strictly a death metal release, but it was considered part of the scene back then)
Decapitated - Nihility (I love Organic Hallucinosis too. Vogg´s riffs floor me everytime I listen to Decapitated)
Nile - What Should Not Be Unearthed (could have been a few others too)
Malevolent Creation - The Ten Commandments
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Zyklon - World ov Worms 

OK, I know that was a few more than 15, but this is probably my favorite style of music, so I couldn´t help myself.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 10:39am
Impossible!...might change tomorrow but here goes...

Immolation - Close To a World Below
Immolation - Atonement
Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest
Nile - What Should Not be Unearthed
Decapitated - Organic Hallucinosis
Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness
Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream
Vader - De Profundis
At The Gates - At War With Reality (Yes, even better than Slaughter Of The Soul!)
Suffocation - Pinnacle Of Bedlam
Unleashed - Midvinterblot
Gorguts - Coloured Sands
Immolation - Majesty And Decay
Bolt Thrower - ..For Victory ...or... perhaps another...(too many good ones to choose from)
Carcass - Heartwork

Edited by Nightfly - 10 Nov 2017 at 7:18am
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 11:18am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

It´s an almost impossible task (but it´s always nice to be inspired and to inspire others to listen to what you think is great), and I´ll probably forget some albums, which deserve a place here, but I´ll give it a try:

Macabre - Dahmer (not strictly a death metal release, but Macabre are mostly accepted as death metal).
Morgoth - Odium (I know most people would mention "Cursed" instead of "Odium", but I love the post-apocalyptic atmosphere of Odium).
Pestilence - Testimony of the Ancients (it could also have been Consuming Impulse. I love that album too)
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence (today it´s probably not counted as death metal, but back then it was considered a weird jazzy form of death metal)
Carcass - Necroticism
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Darkthrone - Soulside Journey (I´m not a huge fan of their black metal releases, but their death metal debut album...hell yeah)
Entombed - Clandestine
Dismember - Like an Ever Flowing Stream (which is the only Dismember album I´m interested in. The rest are sub par to this one).
Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick (could have been Altars of Madness or Covenant too, but Blessed...always thrilled me a bit more)
Benediction - The Grand Leveller
Bolt Thrower - ...for Victory (could have been a few of the others too)
Napalm Death - Harmony Corruption (their only "true" death metal album)
Deicide - Deicide (the debut album had a huge impact on me when it was released. Sadly they were never able to follow it up with something of equal or better quality).
Death - Human (could have been Symbolic too)
Edge of Sanity - Unorthodox
Bloodbath - Nightmares Made Flesh
Suffocation - Pierced from Within 
Dying Fetus - Destroy the Opposition (all their albums are great, but this one and the predecessor are the strongest IMO)
Obituary - The End Complete (Obituary are incredibly consistent in style and quality, but this album is just a notch above the rest IMO).
Black Breath - Slaves Beyond Death (this album deserves far more attention than it has gotten. Had this been released in the early 90s, it would have been a death metal hit).
Atrocity - Hallucinations (this one seems like it´s been forgotten by time, and the fact that Atrocity changed their sound drastically throughout the years probably hasn´t helped either. If you haven´t heard of this album already, give it shot. It´s killer technical death metal with a great concept story).
Cynic - Focus (well not strictly a death metal release, but it was considered part of the scene back then)
Decapitated - Nihility (I love Organic Hallucinosis too. Vogg´s riffs floor me everytime I listen to Decapitated)
Nile - What Should Not Be Unearthed (could have been a few others too)
Malevolent Creation - The Ten Commandments
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Zyklon - World ov Worms 

OK, I know that was a few more than 15, but this is probably my favorite style of music, so I couldn´t help myself.

I left some albums that I love out because I limited myself to 15, but I would definitely include the debut albums of Malevolent Creation, Vital Remains, and Gorefest, as well as an Entombed and Bolt Thrower album. Also I didn't think to add Opeth, but I would definitely put Still Life somewhere in my top 15.

If I tried to list a top 15 thrash metal albums, that would be an impossible task for me as thrash is probably my favorite style of music.

Edited by Unitron - 04 Aug 2017 at 11:19am
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

We have it listed as death metal, so that's definitive.LOL And I'm having it too.

Anyway, I'll have a go. One per band:
  1. Macabre - Dahmer
  2. Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
  3. Carcass - Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubious
  4. Nile - From the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka
  5. Death - Leprosy
  6. Obituary - Slowly We Rot
  7. Entombed - Clandestine
  8. Deicide - Deicide
  9. Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
  10. Pungent Stench - Been Caught Buttering
  11. Cannibal Corpse - Butchered At Birth
  12. Disharmonic Orchestra - Not To Be Undimensional Conscious
  13. Amorphis - Elegy
  14. Benediction - Transcend The Rubicon
  15. Fear Factory - Soul of a New Machine
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 5:48am
I’ve yet to acquire many DM albums. Seems that when I select any DM album from YouTube (I try before I buy) it averages to be something like 3 in every 5 I’d like to get.
But from the handful I have so far :
NILE - In Their Darkened Shrines (though from the albums I’ve heard, they seem consistently impressive)
GORGUTS - Pleiades’ Dust (it a smidge above Colored Sands, mainly coz drummer Patrice Hamelin is a star)
OPETH - Morningrise
GERYON - s/t (rhythm section of Krallice only - love the relentless drums and bass and McMaster’s gutteral vocals)
ATHEIST - Unquestionable Presence

And being the vinyl obsessive that I am, I’m seeking out albums from Cynic, Suffocation, Death and more Nile. Only the tip of the iceberg, really.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic