MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New sealed vinyl with scuffs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New sealed vinyl with scuffs
    Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 8:47am
Has anyone else had this happen upon ooening a new sealed record you noticed that even though it is new some how it got scuffed at the pressing plant. I was playing my brand new copy of hidden evolution by the band angelus apateida that i got in the mail a few days ago. Near the end of the first track i noticed 2 clicks that were way too loud for a brand new vinyl. So after the record was done i examine it very closly. Upon the examination i noticed about 5 or 6 light to almost mediun size scuffs in the first 3 tracks. This is weird and has not ever happened to me before. I could lessen the depth of the scuffs with 1500 grit sand paper which would lessen the 2 clicks but i may leave it alone because it does not sound bad outside the 2 clicks. Just weird and thought i would ask if anyone else has had this issue
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 11:58am
Vinyl these days is much better but back when vinyl was the main medium to buy music on there was far less care taken in the pressing plant. Over the years I returned quite a few for scratches, surface noise etc but have been quite lucky with vinyl purchases over recent years and can only think of one that clicked through the first track for about a minute - I returned it. I put it down to the fact that people who buy vinyl wouldn't tolerate a bad pressing these days so they take that much more care to avoid returns it being a niche market relatively speaking. 

Just moving this to Tech Talk.

Edited by Nightfly - 14 Jul 2017 at 12:16pm
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 7:24pm
That's why I avoid vinyl. And my record player is sitting in a plastic bin behind me too...

I had a CD die on me the other day. It was City by Strapping Young Lad. It started skipping part way through. I took it out of the player, and it had an irregular shaped little line through the middle of it where the metal and paint had scraped off completely. It's almost like a worm had eaten it or something. I have had it for 20 years, but still, very annoying.
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

That's why I avoid vinyl. And my record player is sitting in a plastic bin behind me too...

I had a CD die on me the other day. It was City by Strapping Young Lad. It started skipping part way through. I took it out of the player, and it had an irregular shaped little line through the middle of it where the metal and paint had scraped off completely. It's almost like a worm had eaten it or something. I have had it for 20 years, but still, very annoying.
disc rot
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 12:29am
Yep, I think so.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 6:24am
I think it was mainly the early CD's that suffered from disc rot, particularly those pressed at a certain plant the name of which I can't remember. I've got a Free CD that's looking like it's going that way but still plays for the moment.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 8:08pm
I have a Slayer live bootleg which did something similar, but it WAS a bootleg, so buyer beware I suppose...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic