Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Extreme Metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extreme Metal
    Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 10:01pm
I just want to share what's on my mind these days. No questions exactly. Just this:

My extreme metal enjoyment ended sometime in the late eighties or early nineties. I went out of the loop and missed out on the rise of death metal, death doom, black metal (second wave) and so on. When I heard these deep, growling, roaring vocals I was dismayed. Whatever happened to singing like Dio, Dickenson, Halford and so on? This is what they call heavy metal these days?

I took a big leap getting into Opeth. That was a few years ago. I accpeted the so-called death vocals and even recognized and admired the talent and skill required to execute them. Then this year I suddenly really got into death metal. I said initially that I liked only melodic death metal but this turned out to not be true. These days I really want to hear technical death metal, but also death doom and black metal.

Now here's the thing. First of all, there are just so many bands out there. Where does one begin? And many of those bands already have a dozen albums or so. It's overwhelming! I watch YouTube videos like Top Ten Death Metal Bands, Top 50 Old School Death Metal Albums, Top 100 Death Metal Songs, and of course similar compilations of black metal and even grindcore and the likes just to educate myself. I watch videos of people discussing albums and sub genres (the Banger TV Lock Horns series has been very helpful) and all these help me to find important bands and albums. But the journey into this new territory has more challenges.

I buy CDs. It's the best way for me to really give my attention to an album not only because I spent money on it but because I have made it "mine". A CD is "mine" once I have decided that I want it. But buying means I am limited to how much new music I can acquire at once. When I check out a band like Darkthrone, Enslaved, Obituary, Cryptopsy and so on, I am faced with the decision of what album or albums to get. Do I buy the debut to see how it all started? Do I buy the "genre-defining album" that makes all the video compilations and lists? Do I buy the highest rated on MMA? Do I buy the latest releases? What I have been doing recently is checking out all of the above by listening on YouTube and then choosing which albums sound good to me first. If I love the album, I want one or two more. If I don't think it's that awesome, I want to know which albums are better.

Ultimately, I hope to own two or three albums by a few dozen bands, so this is a long-term project to be sure. It is like a kind of disease, don't you think? An addiction.

That's all I wanted to express. Feel free to comment. Thanks to everybody who has been readng my reviews and especially to those who have left comments. I feel I have friends here! Cheers!
A story told that can't be real somehow must reflect the truth we feel.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 10:26pm
Youtube is really a godsend when it comes to discovering music, as there are so many awesome bands that I may not know if not for Youtube (Including probably my favorite band of all time, Helstar!). It gets overwhelming though when it comes to buying the albums, because a lot of metal and especially extreme metal isn't exactly easy to get cheap online or find at a thrift store. It's even harder if I find all of the bands albums great, like Obituary or Nile.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 10:51pm
I agree with Khaliq. YouTube is your best friend for sampling and listening to albums that aren't available any more or waaaaaaay behind your price range. As far as where to start, tough one. I start with bands i don't know well simply by picking out the most popular and seeing if i share that opinion. Often i do, but sometimes i find the LEAST popular album my favorite. For example i'm currently listening to Deep Purple's Who Do You Think You Are and i love it a lot more than most everyone seems to.

There is way too much music to be experienced, agreed. I often go to the used music stores and let whatever presents itself to me be the deciding factor but i also actively scout things out and order online. I don't really focus on any particular sub genre but i do find myself working extra hours to afford the luxury of buying as much music as i can stand. Currently i have hundreds of albums on the "to listen to" pile which means i have put the brakes on new purchasing for now because i've run out of room!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 1:57am
Originally posted by voila_la_scorie voila_la_scorie wrote:

I buy CDs. It's the best way for me to really give my attention to an album not only because I spent money on it but because I have made it "mine". A CD is "mine" once I have decided that I want it. But buying means I am limited to how much new music I can acquire at once. When I check out a band like Darkthrone, Enslaved, Obituary, Cryptopsy and so on, I am faced with the decision of what album or albums to get. Do I buy the debut to see how it all started? Do I buy the "genre-defining album" that makes all the video compilations and lists? Do I buy the highest rated on MMA? Do I buy the latest releases? What I have been doing recently is checking out all of the above by listening on YouTube and then choosing which albums sound good to me first. If I love the album, I want one or two more. If I don't think it's that awesome, I want to know which albums are better.

Ultimately, I hope to own two or three albums by a few dozen bands, so this is a long-term project to be sure. It is like a kind of disease, don't you think? An addiction.

This sums up me pretty well too. I've purchased in excess of 100 CD's within the last 12 months. It's more than normal because I sold a bunch of stuff on ebay a few months ago and have had more money to finance my addiction. Music is my drug of choice. I too like to have a selection of albums from different bands rather than everyone's full discography. Though there are a few artists where I like to get every album. 

As for finding new stuff, I usually sample before I purchase anything, either in part or full. YouTube, Bandcamp and Spotify are my usual sources. Recently I've taken to buying black metal in bulk on ebay and it's more or less paid off well, with a few gems discovered that I may not have known about otherwise, with many bands that hadn't yet been added to MMA. And if you want black metal ebay does seem to be packed full of stuff Amazon doesn't carry or is expensive. 

I use the charts on RYM a lot to find new stuff as well. I can sort them by any sub-genre I want and see what's rated highly, or I just glance at the artwork and see what's eye-catching. I find that a lot of metal artwork reflects the style of music played and can often be an indication of how something is going to sound. For example, can anyone really look at this and not think 'that's a thrash metal album'?

This is my go-to RYM chart for MMA relevant releases of 2017. I do tend to check out more new release albums than not, unless I'm in an 80's phase or something.

I often further narrow this down to just black metal to make sure I've got the most rated albums of 2017 on MMA. Given my current black metal phase these are also the ones I'm more likely to check out. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
voila_la_scorie View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 5:07am
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Youtube is really a godsend when it comes to discovering music, as there are so many awesome bands that I may not know if not for Youtube (Including probably my favorite band of all time, Helstar!). It gets overwhelming though when it comes to buying the albums, because a lot of metal and especially extreme metal isn't exactly easy to get cheap online or find at a thrift store. It's even harder if I find all of the bands albums great, like Obituary or Nile.

It is a godsend for sure because I can just keep clicking on the next band and the next. I'm learning now to have a little more patience when previewing albums. I shouldn't just go, "Sounds good; buy it!" because later I might find it wasn't as good as I first thought. And if there are ten albums in the band's discography, it's nice to be able to listen and choose which one will be my best gateway album.

Yeah, they can often be expensive or hard to find. I decided on getting Obituary's Darkest Day and Amazon was expensive. Discogs had some reasonably priced options but one seller sold the album the day I placed my order and another said he can't find the CD. Then sometimes the classic album is a bit pricy but others are cheaper. Immolation's first two albums are over $20 but some others are under $10.

Nile. I like them!
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 5:16am
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I agree with Khaliq. YouTube is your best friend for sampling and listening to albums that aren't available any more or waaaaaaay behind your price range. As far as where to start, tough one. I start with bands i don't know well simply by picking out the most popular and seeing if i share that opinion. Often i do, but sometimes i find the LEAST popular album my favorite. For example i'm currently listening to Deep Purple's Who Do You Think You Are and i love it a lot more than most everyone seems to.

There is way too much music to be experienced, agreed. I often go to the used music stores and let whatever presents itself to me be the deciding factor but i also actively scout things out and order online. I don't really focus on any particular sub genre but i do find myself working extra hours to afford the luxury of buying as much music as i can stand. Currently i have hundreds of albums on the "to listen to" pile which means i have put the brakes on new purchasing for now because i've run out of room!

The least popular album, yeah, that's the thing. I sometimes think that an album with a rating here of 3.35 that's about $9 might be worth getting anyway when the 4.45 rated album is $25! Maybe I might just like it. Who Do We Think We Are, I never loved it but I like it. I know what you mean though. I love Heritage by Opeth and it's always the lowest ranked on any Opeth album ranking list I've never seen.

Yes, I keep counting my overtime hours and thinking, "If I can get this many hours this week I'll order a couple of more albums." I do tend to work in "types" of music. Last year it was mid-sixties hard garage rock, Quebec prog of the seventies, and 2016 prog releases. This year it's extreme metal. I think I just have a little devil on my shoulder telling me to keep finding new music to become interested in. I do manage to listen to everything because I commute three hours or more in total each day so there's lots of time to be plugged in. But that means I go through albums that much faster. I never can guess though, Mike, how you get through so many reviews. Just Buckethead keeps you busy. But you do so much more. Nice!
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 5:27am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

This sums up me pretty well too. I've purchased in excess of 100 CD's within the last 12 months. It's more than normal because I sold a bunch of stuff on ebay a few months ago and have had more money to finance my addiction. Music is my drug of choice. I too like to have a selection of albums from different bands rather than everyone's full discography. Though there are a few artists where I like to get every album. 

As for finding new stuff, I usually sample before I purchase anything, either in part or full. YouTube, Bandcamp and Spotify are my usual sources. Recently I've taken to buying black metal in bulk on ebay and it's more or less paid off well, with a few gems discovered that I may not have known about otherwise, with many bands that hadn't yet been added to MMA. And if you want black metal ebay does seem to be packed full of stuff Amazon doesn't carry or is expensive. 

I use the charts on RYM a lot to find new stuff as well. I can sort them by any sub-genre I want and see what's rated highly, or I just glance at the artwork and see what's eye-catching. I find that a lot of metal artwork reflects the style of music played and can often be an indication of how something is going to sound. 

In the last few years, I've exceeded 100 new CDs each year. My wife would kill me. But I never spend money on much else: drinks, eating out, movies, etc. CDs and the occasional book or article of clothing when necessary. At least Amazon marketplace usually has cheap options. Otherwise I search discogs for the stuff that's too expensive or unavailable from Amazon.

Finding new stuff is exciting like a hunt. I loved doing this back in my junior high school days. It's something that never left me. I have a coworker who knows a lot of European black metal and death metal bands. He also likes punk and grindcore. But technical extreme metal is "stress music" for him. He's good to bounce ideas off though.

Artwork is sometimes what makes me want an album. Heaven Shall Burn's Wanderer stayed in my cart for months because I wanted that mountain photo! Ha ha. But great artwork is part of the joy of having the CD. And prog and metal have the best artwork overall.

Yeah, I should start looking at RYM more. I don't think I use it to its full potential. Thanks for the tip!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 6:02am

Discogs had some reasonably priced options but one seller sold the album the day I placed my order and another said he can't find the CD. 

I've used Discogs once successfully, which was to get a copy of Spectral Lore's Sentinel album, but I turn to the site as a last resort personally. It seems like there are less regulations for sellers and less protection for buyers if something does go wrong, with many stating that there won't be refunds if a package doesn't arrive unless you pay a huge registered shipping charge up front. Which is actually illegal but Discogs don't seem to police it like ebay, so some of those low price rare items on sale may be a case of too good to be true. Though I think PayPal would have your back if a package never arrived, because the seller would have to prove delivery regardless of what terms were laid down. Point is, you may end up paying out for registered shipping just to get a seller to release the item to you. 

I'm currently hunting for an original press of Wyrd's Vargtimmen Part 1. I want the original because the reissue has shit artwork. The discogs prices are not far apart for each version, but the sellers are doing as I state above: insisting on buyer paying registered shipping otherwise no sale/loss of refund option. 
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 7:47am
When it comes to finding new stuff I actually miss the days of when there were smaller independent record shops around that you didn't know what you might find in. Don't know what the situation with those is like in other countries but here in the UK they've long been a dying breed. We're actually lucky if a town even as a HMV now and their metal sections aren't exactly great unless you want something from a major band or is very new (and maybe even not then).

Closest I can get to the small feeling as looking through a nice little music shop is browsing ebay to see what's on auction. I often put small impulsive bids on things just in case I can score a bargain, but more often that not I lose out in the last few seconds. Or if I have put a higher bid in others bid the stuff up to almost new price.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 8:54am
It's a never ending quest discovering new music and there's far too much choice out there to know it all. I always used to buy full discographies of bands I liked, even albums that were weak just for completeness, but these days I'm more selective and don't automatically buy every new album apart from a handful of bands. Despite having a collection of around 4000 albums, a lot of it extreme metal, I'm still always discovering new stuff and find Spotify and Youtube useful to hear before I buy. If i like something I add it my Amazon wishlist which grows faster than I can afford to buy. I prioritise and there's stuff on there that's been on for years that I'll never probably buy as there's always something i want more. A lottery win would be helpful.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 9:13am
I'm only approaching the 800 mark and people already tell me I have too much. This is something someone who isn't a serious music fan can never understand. 
GG2U

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 9:14am
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

When it comes to finding new stuff I actually miss the days of when there were smaller independent record shops around that you didn't know what you might find in. Don't know what the situation with those is like in other countries but here in the UK they've long been a dying breed. We're actually lucky if a town even as a HMV now and their metal sections aren't exactly great unless you want something from a major band or is very new (and maybe even not then).

Closest I can get to the small feeling as looking through a nice little music shop is browsing ebay to see what's on auction. I often put small impulsive bids on things just in case I can score a bargain, but more often that not I lose out in the last few seconds. Or if I have put a higher bid in others bid the stuff up to almost new price.

Music stores in general are a dying breed in the US as well but here in the SF Bay Area where money is plentiful from the tech boom there are still lots of small indy stores and with the recent revival of vinyl in previous years has meant some are doing quite well. We also have two chains called Amoeba and Rasputin scattered about. They are great because they have tons of used. The metal sections are quite large and turnover is quick. If i dare even step foot in one i cannot refrain from dropping 100USD$ at least. Of course it's never been easiier to shop online which is even more dangerous!!!
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 5:43pm
The times where you were out of touch with extreme metal were the times when I was discovering it. Magazines were the go for discovering new stuff back then.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 10:13pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Discogs had some reasonably priced options but one seller sold the album the day I placed my order and another said he can't find the CD. 

I've used Discogs once successfully, which was to get a copy of Spectral Lore's Sentinel album, but I turn to the site as a last resort personally. It seems like there are less regulations for sellers and less protection for buyers if something does go wrong, with many stating that there won't be refunds if a package doesn't arrive unless you pay a huge registered shipping charge up front. Which is actually illegal but Discogs don't seem to police it like ebay, so some of those low price rare items on sale may be a case of too good to be true. Though I think PayPal would have your back if a package never arrived, because the seller would have to prove delivery regardless of what terms were laid down. Point is, you may end up paying out for registered shipping just to get a seller to release the item to you. 

I'm currently hunting for an original press of Wyrd's Vargtimmen Part 1. I want the original because the reissue has shit artwork. The discogs prices are not far apart for each version, but the sellers are doing as I state above: insisting on buyer paying registered shipping otherwise no sale/loss of refund option. 
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 7:01pm
Arrgghh! I can't post a reply from my PC or phone!
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 7:01pm
Ha! I just did! After 25 minutes, I got a post in!
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

I am having a bitch of a time replying here. I keep getting kicked off and can't access the page. I typed a reply, couldn't post, navigated back to copy my reply, and then spend five minutes trying to get back in here. When I finally was able to and them pasted my original reply and posted it, only the quoted part got posted. Grr...!

Anyway! In response to adg211288, I have used discogs a number of times and the only problem I ever had was one product was described as near mint but the CD was covered with shallow abrasions and the printed material looked like it had been left in a steam bath and then dried in the sun. Other than that I guess I have been lucky. I do hate the high shipping charges though. When a $10 album comes with a $13 shipping fee, I balk. I hate it when the shipping charge is higher than the product value.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 7:09pm
I'll try to respond to this one.

Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

In my hometown, the local record shop had a metal section and new releases on Banzai were always exciting. I got into Bathory, Celtic Frost, Kreator, Exodus, Omen, Ruthless, Possessed and many others thanks to that metal corner. Downtown Vancouver was more punk oriented with a lot of punk and alternative stuff in the small record stores.

These days I can find almost everything through Amazon and I have accounts in four countries. Basically, I check out stuff on YouTube and then go to Amazon. If that fails, I got to Discogs. It's so much better than a record store for me because while the record store might have had an album or two by a band, I can usually find the entire discography for sale on line. I find visiting a place like Disc Union not worth it because I always forget what I am looking for or I can't find it, or the price of a used CD in good condition can be more expensive than a new one from the Amazon market place.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 7:10pm
Okay, so this is how it works. I have a short window for responding. I type my reply, copy it, post, get kicked off, go to Google, search for the forum, go back to the thread, paste my response, and post. That works! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic