Extreme Metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
voila_la_scorie View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extreme Metal
    Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 4:17am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Those can be very variable, just like any compilation. Sometimes you have to wade through seas of crap to find a few gems.

That's exactly what I love doing. There's a lot of similar sounding stuff but in between there are songs that really catch my attention. I looked over those compilations and recognized some names. My list is growing!
A story told that can't be real somehow must reflect the truth we feel.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by voila_la_scorie voila_la_scorie wrote:

I removed the list from my reply for saving space but I will be checking them all out. I keep finding lists on YouTube and I keep wanting to listen to them.

Those can be very variable, just like any compilation. Sometimes you have to wade through seas of crap to find a few gems.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 5:10am
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Most of the used CDs i get are in mint condition but i will lower my standards for thrift store cheapies which i have gotten some extremely excellent music. I understand the option of scantily used CDs in mint condition isn't available in too many places but i save a crap load of $$$ this way ;)

Oh, I totally understand that. If I would go for used that wasn't totally perfect and pay half the price or less, I'd be running out of space in my house. I guess paying more for new does keep a check on my expenditures. 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 8:45pm

Music stores in general are a dying breed in the US as well but here in the SF Bay Area where money is plentiful from the tech boom there are still lots of small indy stores and with the recent revival of vinyl in previous years has meant some are doing quite well. We also have two chains called Amoeba and Rasputin scattered about. They are great because they have tons of used. The metal sections are quite large and turnover is quick. If i dare even step foot in one i cannot refrain from dropping 100USD$ at least. Of course it's never been easiier to shop online which is even more dangerous!!!

I try to avoid used CDs. They have to be pristine because my collection must be pristine. OCD? Nah... just O. I hate to get a cracked or scratched jewel case, wrinkled or wavy printed material, and a CD with abrasions. It doesn't sit well with me.

Most of the used CDs i get are in mint condition but i will lower my standards for thrift store cheapies which i have gotten some extremely excellent music. I understand the option of scantily used CDs in mint condition isn't available in too many places but i save a crap load of $$$ this way ;)
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 7:31pm

The times where you were out of touch with extreme metal were the times when I was discovering it. Magazines were the go for discovering new stuff back then.

We had a magazine in Canada in the 80's called Metallion. It was great because it covered homegrown bands, famous bands, thrash and extreme metal, and featured a "Roots of Metal" page that I loved. If magazines were the only way for me now, I'd probably have saved lots of money. YouTube is like a whole universe opening up. The other day I found 46 different bands covering "Dethroned Emperor" by Celtic Frost and I only knew the names of a few of them!

And compilations. Here's a few I found really useful.

I removed the list from my reply for saving space but I will be checking them all out. I keep finding lists on YouTube and I keep wanting to listen to them.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 7:23pm

Music stores in general are a dying breed in the US as well but here in the SF Bay Area where money is plentiful from the tech boom there are still lots of small indy stores and with the recent revival of vinyl in previous years has meant some are doing quite well. We also have two chains called Amoeba and Rasputin scattered about. They are great because they have tons of used. The metal sections are quite large and turnover is quick. If i dare even step foot in one i cannot refrain from dropping 100USD$ at least. Of course it's never been easiier to shop online which is even more dangerous!!!

I try to avoid used CDs. They have to be pristine because my collection must be pristine. OCD? Nah... just O. I hate to get a cracked or scratched jewel case, wrinkled or wavy printed material, and a CD with abrasions. It doesn't sit well with me.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I'm only approaching the 800 mark and people already tell me I have too much. This is something someone who isn't a serious music fan can never understand. 

Oh, for sure. When people say, "Why don't you just download?" or "I use Spotify" I just shake my head. They wouldn't understand.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

It's a never ending quest discovering new music and there's far too much choice out there to know it all. I always used to buy full discographies of bands I liked, even albums that were weak just for completeness, but these days I'm more selective and don't automatically buy every new album apart from a handful of bands. Despite having a collection of around 4000 albums, a lot of it extreme metal, I'm still always discovering new stuff and find Spotify and Youtube useful to hear before I buy. If i like something I add it my Amazon wishlist which grows faster than I can afford to buy. I prioritise and there's stuff on there that's been on for years that I'll never probably buy as there's always something i want more. A lottery win would be helpful.

I'm not up to 4,000 yet (somewhere around 2,000) but what you wrote is basically what I could have written. I hear you about once having been a completionist but now being more selective. But I have found that since taking up reviewing seriously, I want to give a band a chance, even if I don't like the first album I bring home. I'm willing to give them a chance by checking out another album in their growth period. 

A lottery win would be devastating. I wouldn't be rolling in cash. I'd be rolling in CDs!

Btw, your icon is in my shopping cart!
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 7:10pm
Okay, so this is how it works. I have a short window for responding. I type my reply, copy it, post, get kicked off, go to Google, search for the forum, go back to the thread, paste my response, and post. That works! 
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 7:09pm
I'll try to respond to this one.

Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

When it comes to finding new stuff I actually miss the days of when there were smaller independent record shops around that you didn't know what you might find in. Don't know what the situation with those is like in other countries but here in the UK they've long been a dying breed. We're actually lucky if a town even as a HMV now and their metal sections aren't exactly great unless you want something from a major band or is very new (and maybe even not then). 

Closest I can get to the small feeling as looking through a nice little music shop is browsing ebay to see what's on auction. I often put small impulsive bids on things just in case I can score a bargain, but more often that not I lose out in the last few seconds. Or if I have put a higher bid in others bid the stuff up to almost new price.

In my hometown, the local record shop had a metal section and new releases on Banzai were always exciting. I got into Bathory, Celtic Frost, Kreator, Exodus, Omen, Ruthless, Possessed and many others thanks to that metal corner. Downtown Vancouver was more punk oriented with a lot of punk and alternative stuff in the small record stores.

These days I can find almost everything through Amazon and I have accounts in four countries. Basically, I check out stuff on YouTube and then go to Amazon. If that fails, I got to Discogs. It's so much better than a record store for me because while the record store might have had an album or two by a band, I can usually find the entire discography for sale on line. I find visiting a place like Disc Union not worth it because I always forget what I am looking for or I can't find it, or the price of a used CD in good condition can be more expensive than a new one from the Amazon market place.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 7:01pm
I am having a bitch of a time replying here. I keep getting kicked off and can't access the page. I typed a reply, couldn't post, navigated back to copy my reply, and then spend five minutes trying to get back in here. When I finally was able to and them pasted my original reply and posted it, only the quoted part got posted. Grr...!

Anyway! In response to adg211288, I have used discogs a number of times and the only problem I ever had was one product was described as near mint but the CD was covered with shallow abrasions and the printed material looked like it had been left in a steam bath and then dried in the sun. Other than that I guess I have been lucky. I do hate the high shipping charges though. When a $10 album comes with a $13 shipping fee, I balk. I hate it when the shipping charge is higher than the product value.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 7:01pm
Ha! I just did! After 25 minutes, I got a post in!
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Arrgghh! I can't post a reply from my PC or phone!
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Discogs had some reasonably priced options but one seller sold the album the day I placed my order and another said he can't find the CD. 

I've used Discogs once successfully, which was to get a copy of Spectral Lore's Sentinel album, but I turn to the site as a last resort personally. It seems like there are less regulations for sellers and less protection for buyers if something does go wrong, with many stating that there won't be refunds if a package doesn't arrive unless you pay a huge registered shipping charge up front. Which is actually illegal but Discogs don't seem to police it like ebay, so some of those low price rare items on sale may be a case of too good to be true. Though I think PayPal would have your back if a package never arrived, because the seller would have to prove delivery regardless of what terms were laid down. Point is, you may end up paying out for registered shipping just to get a seller to release the item to you. 

I'm currently hunting for an original press of Wyrd's Vargtimmen Part 1. I want the original because the reissue has shit artwork. The discogs prices are not far apart for each version, but the sellers are doing as I state above: insisting on buyer paying registered shipping otherwise no sale/loss of refund option. 
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 10:13pm
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 5:43pm
The times where you were out of touch with extreme metal were the times when I was discovering it. Magazines were the go for discovering new stuff back then.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 9:14am
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

When it comes to finding new stuff I actually miss the days of when there were smaller independent record shops around that you didn't know what you might find in. Don't know what the situation with those is like in other countries but here in the UK they've long been a dying breed. We're actually lucky if a town even as a HMV now and their metal sections aren't exactly great unless you want something from a major band or is very new (and maybe even not then).

Closest I can get to the small feeling as looking through a nice little music shop is browsing ebay to see what's on auction. I often put small impulsive bids on things just in case I can score a bargain, but more often that not I lose out in the last few seconds. Or if I have put a higher bid in others bid the stuff up to almost new price.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 9:13am
I'm only approaching the 800 mark and people already tell me I have too much. This is something someone who isn't a serious music fan can never understand. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 8:54am
It's a never ending quest discovering new music and there's far too much choice out there to know it all. I always used to buy full discographies of bands I liked, even albums that were weak just for completeness, but these days I'm more selective and don't automatically buy every new album apart from a handful of bands. Despite having a collection of around 4000 albums, a lot of it extreme metal, I'm still always discovering new stuff and find Spotify and Youtube useful to hear before I buy. If i like something I add it my Amazon wishlist which grows faster than I can afford to buy. I prioritise and there's stuff on there that's been on for years that I'll never probably buy as there's always something i want more. A lottery win would be helpful.
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 7:47am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic