MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do i have a problem?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do i have a problem?
    Posted: 11 May 2017 at 2:41am
hi. I have a gigantic music collection spanding amongst cds, cassette tapes, vinyl records and even 8 track tapes. It seems that ever since i have gotten into vinyl collecting my music tastes have expanded to many many various generas of music outside metal while still listning to metal. I go to the loca and out of townl thrift stores all the time with my friend and on my own and that is how i get a good chunk of my music albums. Online and physical music stores when possible are my other means.         I find so many cheap records and cds and tapes at thrift stores and that is how i have gotten into so many new artists and bands as of lats. Though i am very greatfull for cheap music on various formats from thrift store visits i think my purchasing and building my music album collecting has gotten outta hand. Because the fact that i find so many cheap albums on various formats cheap as in ten cents to a dollar to like five dollars i keep buying albums even if i do not know the artist or only know 1 or 2 songs. It has gotten to the point where i will go through my music collection and be like oh yeah i forgot i even liked that band. Because i keep buying so many bands and artists i am not familiar with it is keeping me from becomming familiar with the complete discographies of artists i currently like. What should i do? At this rate i could become familiar with so many solo artists and bands that i may only have time in my life to be familiar with like 1 or 2 albums per artist.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 2:51am
I have quite a few albums in my collection, that I have never had the time to hear. I just think of it as something to look forward to Smile
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 3:33am
You got a basement to keep them all in? Spac is an issue too for me. Wife makes me buy downloads now for that reason. As for not getting to really know artists, I don't think you can know all of the discographies for many bands. And I have albums / downloads from artists that I'm not sure I've ever listened to 🙄
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 4:10am
so this is a common thing? Liking many many many many bands and buying cheap albums even if u ain't familiar or only know a few of the artists songs and having shit in ur collection u haven't had time to even check out and adding band after band to your list of what you like to the point where u have no time to listen to it all

Edited by vmoore - 11 May 2017 at 4:19am
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 4:50am
I don't know if it's common, but it's "a thing" for sure 😉
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 11:19am
Yeah definitely a thing Tongue...I suffer from it too LOL
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 1:48pm
I'm kind of in the same boat, I have quite a few albums that I've barely listened to. I always listen to a little bit of what I buy, but I certainly have a plethora of albums where I have not listened through the whole thing.

I agree with Jonas though, it's nice to look through your collection and think "Hey, I haven't heard much of this, I'll listen to it today". Tongue
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 3:09am
Like me, you seem to have a storage problem...
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 5:27am
I usually buy any metal, hard rock or prog albums I see in second hand shops so long as its not by a band/genre I know I dislike, even if that purchase is completely blind. It's paid off more times than not. Though I don't see that many metal albums second hand here in UK, not counting online, which I regularly browse for bargains. One thing I often search for on ebay is job lots of albums. I've had a couple of black metal job lots now and both have been quite worthwhile. I also just got a couple of tech death albums in one auction, one of which I'd heard a few tracks from and the other being completely blind, but they cost £3.19 the pair including postage because luckily for me no one else bid on them. Listening to the first one right now as it happens. 

The only CD in my 700+ collection I have never listened to is Creed's Human Clay. Which I did not buy myself, but was a poorly judged gift. I honestly don't know why I don't just throw it in the bin because it's certainly not got any resale value. But it's a number in the collection. I have listened to every other CD at least once and most more than that, especially when I first get them. There are albums that I haven't played it a long time of course and every time I look over my collection I see CDs that make me think 'I should revisit that sometime'. This mainly applies to music I had when first discovering my tastes though. 

When I was younger and as such knew fewer bands I tended to buy more albums from the same artist, but these days I tend to aim for a wider selection of artists and only purchase multiple albums from a select few and full discographies from the favourites like Blind Guardian and Iron Maiden. If I only count bands with at least five studio albums I only have a dozen artists in my collection where I have every studio album, though there's a few I'm working towards completing.

I rarely bother with live albums though and any EP's have to be reasonably priced, not full album priced for like a quarter of the music. Studio albums are sometimes a live DVD are all that interest me. 

Regarding storage, I have five shelves along one of my walls. MY CD's take up about three and a half of them. I have some books on one of them but they'll get moved one day when space becomes an issue. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 11:40am
I can't stop buying new music, have done most of my life with a collection that amounts to around 4000 albums on CD and Vinyl. I often feel like I don't get to play them as much as I would like and have albums that haven't been played very much at all. I always make a point of playing new arrivals though before I play older ones. I've got 4 new albums to play tonight but 2 a week is more normal, sometimes 1. There isn't an album in my collection I haven't heard but quite a few I would guess that I'm not overly familiar with. 

Storage is always a problem but luckily I have a room devoted to them as well as some downstairs. I always seem to find somewhere to stick a new rack if I need one.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

a collection that amounts to around 4000 albums

And people tell me I have too many in the 700's. Wink

GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

a collection that amounts to around 4000 albums

And people tell me I have too many in the 700's. Wink

You can never have too many Adam. Smile
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 8:47pm
If you think you have a problem with metal, try liking all genres of music, not equally but having a good sampling of all. My main passions are metal, prog and jazz but have everything else under the sun ranging from hip hop to classical, ethnic, electronic, soundtracks, various artists and yadda yadda.

I also have a compulsive "need" to buy music faster than i can listen to it to the point where my "to listen to" pile has grown in the hundreds and my CD collection alone has surely hit over 10,000 ( i tried to count once but was overwhelmed and then had to move!) My goal has been to get as many of the ones i love onto a 4 terabyte hardrive and then box em up and put in storage but an error caused my AIFF files to turn into AAC files (lesser resolution) and i was so disheartened i had to take time off.

Like you, i scour the thrift stores and buy things for a dollar or two just to check them out! This has paid off big time but i am literally drowning in music! I know this is very much a "first world problem" and one that i'm happy to have in some ways but yes, i dream of 10,000 square foot warehouse where i can pretend i own a used record store! Right now i have the whole collection in a small room with the walls completely covered with shelving and MUSIC!!!

So, yes, it's definately a "thing." I am a music addict and despite the burden of dealing with it, i'm still more happy to have all this music than not!
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 9:49pm
Sorry for the bad quality but this first photo is a shelf for 2000 CDs and it only has alphabetical CDs for A, B, C & E!

Another shot from my music room

vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 1:05am
Sadly i have half of my belongings spread betewwn my recently n sadly decesed grandmothers house and my parents house. All because of me staying in and using the house is temporary as it gets me to work without having my parents take me to work every day when they can not. so a lot of music collection i can't consistently use right now it suck but will not be that way forever. I usually go to my parents house on my days off and am in my grandmothers home that was hers while i am working for da week. Wish i could just keep the house but can not n will have to find a place when it sells. I wish it would haopen sooner as i want all my stuff in 1 place

Edited by vmoore - 14 May 2017 at 5:17am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 7:18am
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Sorry for the bad quality but this first photo is a shelf for 2000 CDs and it only has alphabetical CDs for A, B, C & E!

Another shot from my music room

Impressive. Clap

Mine's getting there, lol. 

The books on the top shelf are going to have to be re-homed before long...LOL
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 9:15am
Thanks. I'm living in a used music store though! I'm currently working to get everything that i want to listen to on a 4 terabyte hard drive so i can turn my room into a recording studio instead :)
martindavey87 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Error & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martindavey87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:55am
I have around 3,000 CD's. I've listened to each of them at least once (when I first got them), but some of them, including ones from artists I greatly admire, haven't been heard since that initial purchase. 

For example, I remember looking out for 'Journey of a Rough Diamond' by Mind Key for a good five or six years. I finally managed to get hold of it (at a reasonable price), and haven't heard it other than the one time when I bought it. Six years ago.

Makes me wonder why I even bothered. 
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 9:31am
^ It's crazy really and I often ask myself do i need all this music that I'll never be able to listen to. I worked it out (roughly) that to listen to my entire collection once would take me around 600 days if I listened for 10 hours a day! I can't stop buying though and the only thing likely to make me stop is something awful happening like going deaf. I have listened to everything I have a minimum of 2-3 times and most more. Things tend to get played a lot in the early days after buying them and then less so later on. I have albums that have never been played for 30 years though at a guess.
martindavey87 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Error & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martindavey87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 10:08am
I'm the same. Always buying CD's! Why CD's??? Goddamn OCD is why! All I ever do is listen to 'em once and then rip 'em to my harddrive, only to listen to them sparingly in the car, maybe. They take up so much space and sometimes is genuinely depresses me why I'm incapable of keeping with the times and going digital. Especially because not only would I make a fair bit of dollar dollar selling them all, but I'd save up so much space in my house. My collection has become a huge physical burden. 

But fuck it! I love music! I love my CD collection! It's too late to go back now! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic