MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where can I get it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marseth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where can I get it?
    Posted: 05 May 2017 at 7:43am
Hello, I'm recently looking for Judas Priest Sad Wings of Destiny non-remastered CD album. Any suggestions about sound of different pressings or versions? I want it to sound the best and the closest to original track as it could, so I was thinking about getting japanese pressing one. What do you think? And where can I get the best one? 

Greetings! 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 8:15am
Have you tried Discogs? They have a marketplace that can be filtered by each version of a release and also flags which ones featuring remastering.

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 8:25am
Try these three. They usually have almost anything. Whether it's at the right price is another matter

CD and LP - Buy and Sell Vinyl Records, Used CDs, Music Collectibles

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 11:07am
Discogs is the best place I know of, as like what has already been said, you can filter through specific issues and pressings.

This appears to be the earliest CD pressing listed on Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/Judas-Priest-Sad-Wings-Of-Destiny/release/2541180

Welcome to the site! Clap
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 11:38am
I have the original vinyl version and the remastered CD and whilst I haven't played them back to back I found the remaster to be pretty good so I wouldn't rule it out. You've got me curious now I'll give them both a listen in the next few days.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 11:59am
I´d be a bit vary investing in early CD pressings of 60s and 70s releases. Many of those releases feature a natural, warm, and organic tone on vinyl, which the early CD versions pretty much ruined. Without having heard it, I´m thinking a newer remaster version is probably the way ahead.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 12:34pm
it's true, some of those early Cd versions sounded awful.
Marseth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marseth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 3:39pm
Thanks a lot for your help, I'll check it all and think about it. 

Edited by Marseth - 05 May 2017 at 3:39pm
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 10:49am
I did a comparison between the original Gull Records vinyl version and the 2011 remastered Cd and the Cd is quite a lot brighter sounding than the vinyl. The vinyl has considerably more bottom end which is not surprising. Whilst I prefer the vinyl the remaster is still pretty good and I'd be happy enough with that if it was my only copy. 

I suspect all the Cd versions would not compete with the vinyl for the bottom end but it would be interesting to hear other versions.

Marseth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marseth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 6:41pm
I see... Thanks again. I have one more question - I'm still thinking about japanese one; which in your opinion would be better - 1990, 1993 or 2012? (I heard that Rob's vocal isn't great on 2012 second pressing, but I don't know if it's true or not).
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 12:30pm
^ I don't know to be honest. I've not heard any of the Japanese versions. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic