0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thrash '88
    Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 10:51am
1988, the only time when the big four all released an album in the same year, and also just an amazing year for thrash in general. I couldn't fit everything here, so if an obscure favorite is missing feel free to list it in your reply.

Vote your favorite!
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 11:06am
It´s between Slayer and Metallica here for me, but I have to chose Metallica. ...and Justice is such a powerful album.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 3:48pm
South of Heaven, ...And Justice For All and So Far, So Good...So What! all got one hell of a thrashing in my last year of high school (1989). I once kept track of what albums I listened to and how often for a statistics project. ...And Justice For All and South Of Heaven got exactly the same number of listens. So Far, So Good...So What! was third. Then came some AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, WASP, GnR etc.

Of all those albums, South of Heaven is the one I revisit most often now, so I voted for it.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 4:09pm
If you'd asked me at the time I'd have probably gone for Slayer, Megadeth or Exodus but with hindsight I think Forbidden released the best album there.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 4:27pm
Didn't notice Fabulous Disaster there. It was actually released in January 1989.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Didn't notice Fabulous Disaster there. It was actually released in January 1989.

The album page says it was released in 1988 in the UK: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/exodus/fabulous-disaster

I'm not sure if this is true though, as neither Wikipedia or EM says that it was released in 88. Confused
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

The album page says it was released in 1988 in the UK: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/exodus/fabulous-disaster

I'm not sure if this is true though, as neither Wikipedia or EM says that it was released in 88. Confused

I just saw this line:

UK label Music for Nations (MFN 90) released the album in 1988, but in the USA, it was released in January 1989 by Combat/Relativity Records.

Don't stress!Smile
Save
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 9:09pm
It's hard for me to vote, as so many of these are favorites. It could have easily been Anthrax, Exodus, Slayer, Voivod, or Overkill but I went with Razor. They're a bit underrated on this site, and Violent Restitution may very well be the fastest thrash album I've ever heard.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 9:19pm
Just a quick look through my media player and I came up with these (all are open to correction, because I don't know if the right year has been put on them!)

Leave Scars - Dark Angel
Martha Splatterhead Returns - The Accused
The Sane Asylum - Blind Illusion
Neurodeliri - Bulldozer
Life Sucks...And Then You Die! - Cerebral Fix
Release From Agony - Destruction
Mind Wars - Holy Terror
Out Of The Dark...Into The Light - Kreator (really an EP, not an album)
The Music Of Erich Zann - Mekong Delta
Surf Nicaragua - Sacred Reich (EP not album)
Mortal Way of Live - Sodom (Live album)

Leave Scars is the only really essential album there. The Sane Asylum, Mind Wars, and possibly The Music of Erich Zann are sort of thrash fan-boy albums, where mentioning them gets you "street cred", and most of the others are worth a listen, but that's about it.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 11:53pm
^Yeah, Leave Scars is from 89 and Release From Agony is 87. The rest of those I either don't know or left out because they're more on the obscure end.

Here's some of my obscure favorites that I left out:
Stone - Stone
Deathwish - Demon Preacher (One of my all time favorites, underrated as hell even among thrash fans)
Assassin - Interstellar Experience
Outrage - Black Clouds
Airdash - Thank God It's Monday
Gothic Slam - Killer Instinct

Edited by Unitron - 22 Apr 2017 at 11:54pm
tapfret View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 1:39pm
Dimension Hatross is easily my favorite from the year. But I don't consider them a thrash band in the purest sense by this point. They were well of into their scifi-avant-progmetal phase. It was a masterpiece splinter.

For pure thrash, the big four were already pretty well passe from the perspective of my young circle. I still enjoyed State of Euphoria, but aJfA had that absurd click bass drum, Slayer slowed down and seemed flat after masterwork RiB, and Megadeth was pretty much always a no-show in my collection. The pure thrash album that everybody in my clique was gushing over that year was Violence - Eternal Nightmare. 
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by tapfret tapfret wrote:

Dimension Hatross is easily my favorite from the year. But I don't consider them a thrash band in the purest sense by this point. They were well of into their scifi-avant-progmetal phase. 

I disagree, I think Dimension Hatross and it's predecessor are both pure thrash with a sci-fi twist. Nothingface was when they lost the thrash, and didn't completely return to it until Negatron (Which I think is their best post-Hatross album personally).
tapfret View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 3:17pm
lol...you will hate my Negatron review then.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 3:22pm

lol...you will hate my Negatron review then.

Probably, but I'm used to seeing people hate that album. I just need to finally write a positive review of it at some point. LOL
tapfret View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 1:26am
We all have our crosses to bare. 
St. Anger is the only Metallica album I enjoyed after MoP...so...there's that.Beer
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 9:34am

Dimension Hatross is easily my favorite from the year. But I don't consider them a thrash band in the purest sense by this point. They were well of into their scifi-avant-progmetal phase. It was a masterpiece splinter.

For pure thrash, the big four were already pretty well passe from the perspective of my young circle. I still enjoyed State of Euphoria, but aJfA had that absurd click bass drum, Slayer slowed down and seemed flat after masterwork RiB, and Megadeth was pretty much always a no-show in my collection. The pure thrash album that everybody in my clique was gushing over that year was Violence - Eternal Nightmare. 

Well if you´re into the more raw end of the 80s US thrash metal spectrum (artists like Slayer and Dark Angel around 1986), Eternal Nightmare is definitely a great album.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 10:50am
I've only heard three of the list and of those it would be Metallica. The other two are Flotsam & Jetsam (not a patch on the first album to my ears) and Realm (okay but didn't get the hype). There is a few on the list that I'd be interested in checking out sometime though, but nothing on my priority list right now.

I'll just throw a spanner in the works here and say that the crown of 1988 belonged to power metal rather than thrash. Wink
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 11:03am
I own most of these but Metallica still tops the list for me on this one
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 11:51am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I'll just throw a spanner in the works here and say that the crown of 1988 belonged to power metal rather than thrash. Wink

Don't you mean a Scanner? Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic