MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to MMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Golden Earring -- proto metal / hard rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Doom Metal team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Golden Earring -- proto metal / hard rock
    Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 9:27pm
These guys are a Dutch band who appeared in '65 as a "nederbeat" (a genre that was influenced clearly from England's merseybeat boom in the same decade) band but slowly morphed into a progressive hard rock band towards the end of the decade. If I were to say specifically it would either be on On the Double or Eight Miles High.

Personally, I'm most acquainted with Eight Miles High, their 1969 album that's quite the joyride. For your take on it's credits the whole album can be listened to here. Aside from that though I think they're applicable for an addition under proto / hard on here, because they came out around the same time as bands like Humble Pie and Groundhogs, i.e. as Allmusic's Dave Thompson describes it, the "British blues boom", and therefore have a similar sound and style.

Here's some links 'n shiz:

If any more links are required just hit me up and I'll do my best to throw them on here too.
http://www.fryingpanmedia.blogspot.com
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Avant-garde Metal team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 10:38pm
I just reviewed Moontan on PA / RYM. I've wondered if they have harder stuff. I'd say it's borderline from the few things i've heard but don't ask me to add their albums! Not as bad as Buckethead but a ridiculous amount!
aglasshouse View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Doom Metal team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 10:48pm
^I'm pretty sure Moontan is actually one of their less heavy albums. I think as they progressed into the 70's maybe they got a bit softer? I dunno.

But I will reiterate that their 1969 album Eight Miles High (which I just reviewed) is a very heavy album, especially for it's time.

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Admin,Thrash/Death, Grindcore & VA teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 11:25pm
This is the only song I actually know. I would have thought it would qualify as hard rock myself.

But then I might be a bit biased because I love the White Lion cover of it.

I Am Deth!!! Fukk You!!!
인생 은 나쁜 음악 이 너무 짧다!
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Industrial/Stoner, Groove/Thrash Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 12:37am
I'm listening to Eight Miles High right now, and I definitely think they should be on here under proto or HR for that album at the least. I only had previously heard Radar Love, but this album is really awesome so far. 
Gamefaqs: http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/FearAbsentia
Blog: http://thewickednest.blogspot.com/
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Admin, Heavy/Speed/Black Metal/Hard Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 1:35am
I'll check them out for HR when I'm able (won't be this side of the Easter weekend). I'll start with Eight Miles High and go from there.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Doom Metal team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 8:35am
Also Iron Maiden covered their song 'Ce Soir' in 1990, although they named they added the "Kill Me" part to it themselves.

'Ce Soir' is from GE's 1975 album Switch.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Doom Metal team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 9:38am
Hey Nicole, got any updates?
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 10:21am
Sorry, but not yet. Haven't had a chance.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Doom Metal team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 7:31pm
'Kay. Take your time.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 2:10pm
Okay I've started the evaluation today. As you're no doubt aware, they have a lot of studio albums, so it's not a job for one sitting.

The important thing is that I'm happy to approve them for Hard Rock based on albums such as Eight Miles High (loved this one) and the 1970 self-titled. Prior work to Eight Miles High should definitely be added to Non-Metal though.

I've got up to Seven Tears in their discography at this point, which is also OK for HR. After that, judging by RYM, they'd definitely be OK up until at least Moontan and probably Switch.

Farther beyond that the votes get a bit more blurry though with either mixed Hard Rock and simply Rock primaries (possibly not enough hard rock for a metal site), or just Rock with Hard Rock as a secondary (in which case definitely not enough hard rock for a metal site). The Hard Rock/Rock tagged ones might be okay but they also might not, they need evaluating. If you want to start the band's addition you can feel free to tag those ones as HR for now, but I may move them after evaluation if the hard rock amounts aren't enough.

The more recent in their discography you get the less they look like they'd be MMA material, with a few potential exceptions such as Bloody Buccaneers (1991) or Tits 'n Ass (2012). Please tag any that RYM has as just Rock primary as Non-Metal for now. If there are any in particular you think should be in HR you can flag them to be and I'll prioritise checking them.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Doom Metal team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 8:29pm
^Sure thing. I personally haven't listened to every single album, but (excluding albums that might be considered proto) I believe that Eight Miles High - Switch is certified hard rock, but those are the ones I've listened to thus far. I'm not sure about those afterwards, except maybe Bloody Buccaneers, but I'll put post Switch under non-metal just to be safe for now. Like you said I'll go back through and let you know of any that stand out.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Avant-garde Metal team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 9:06pm
^ you opened this bottomless can of worms! YOU have to listen to EVERY single one of them 10 times each until you come up with the proper tagging for ALLLLL of them LOL

Or just cheat and check out Wikipedia and RYM :)
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Doom Metal team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 5:31pm
Eh, not a fan of RYM and I'm trying to ween myself off of Wikipedia cause it tends to leave out useful information (bonus tracks, rereleases, etc).
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Doom Metal team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 2:14pm
Once I've gotten them fully added I'm going to contact Peter on which albums I think should be considered as proto as well.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 3:13pm
From what I've checked out Proto would be off the cards for this one: The albums prior to Eight Miles High are definitely Non-Metal at most and the December 2016 change in policy for Hard Rock/Proto-Metal means that HR takes priority over a Proto-Metal placement.

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12221&title=changes-to-protometal-hard-rock-policy
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Avant-garde Metal team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 9:38am
I just added up to Moontan and posted my review for that album which i just did a couple weeks ago
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Doom Metal team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I just added up to Moontan and posted my review for that album which i just did a couple weeks ago
That's all well and good, but please if you're going to add the albums  make sure all the information is there. Most of the albums you added were missing track times and total times, as well as other release information like production, release date and record date. I take a lot of time adding these and it pains me having to go back and fix stuff, so please make sure all the boxes are checked. Please and thank you.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Avant-garde Metal team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 10:01pm
^ you're really saying that it's easier to do everything from scratch than just add some times to the tracks? I simply copied from PA. Personally i think it's more important to simply have a complete discography on here that can be perfected at a future time than having to fuss about every little thing first time around. Just my 2cents worth :)
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 1:09am
I'm with Thatcher here. I'm sure you had good intentions Mike but if you're going to do something please do it properly; doesn't matter if PA only has the same level of information. If anything if PA only has a half-arsed job on the band's page that's all the more reason to do it better here.

And it's absolutely better to do a complete job on a page when you add it. You know exactly where a page is at then and don't have to completely review it at a later date (or someone else have to do that, which takes even longer since it's not your own work) to add the things you (intentionally) missed.

Our database here on MMA has enough holes where past collabs haven't done a complete job even when the profile and release pages are clearly marked as being updated by them. All I'm asking is to please consider that before you make more.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic