0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Classic Black Metal Debut
    Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 12:53pm
Now from Screaming Bloody Gore, we enter the Dark Medieval Times. Vote your favorite classic black metal debut, and feel free to list your favorite if I left it out.

I'm going with Immortal, but Dissection and Satyricon closely follow.

Edited by Unitron - 21 Apr 2017 at 1:00pm
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 1:15pm
You already know from the first version of the poll what I'm going to say: Ulver!

Said with a grain a salt though as its the only Ulver album I really find to be worth a damn.

Comments on some of the others:

Immortal: A very good band overall but I tend to find their later work more notworthy. I'd say their debut is their weakest record.

Burzum: Generally doesn't live up to the hype to be honest. I think Varg's notoriety has done more to cement Burzum's place as a classic act rather than any musical quality. Hvis Lyset Tar Oss is solid and the best he ever got.

Sigh: I've only heard a few albums, debut included. Of those it's the weakest to my ears.

Satyricon: Their best album in my view. Their returns have more or less been diminishing ever since.

Dissection: Both The Somberlain and Storm of the Light's Bane are classics.

Melechesh: Very solid group. In some ways they seem like melodic black metal's answer to Nile. Debut is their weakest to my ears.

Emperor: Symphonic black at its finest.

Dimmu Borgir: Always listenable but always overhyped for what they do.

Borknagar: Great band and the debut is actually my favourite although I know most will point to The Olden Domain as being stronger.

Cradle of Filth: See Dimmu Borgir except that I've never felt inclined to properly explore their discography. Not heard the debut.

Nokturnal Mortum: Only heard a couple of albums and not that one. Great music but the ties to NSBM are distasteful.

Mayhem: So important to the genre. The debut is good but after that they're just solid.

Enslaved: Later work is better.

Summoning: Great band if you like what they do (as I do). Debut is the weakest.

Windir: Very solid group. Debut is like with many others the weakest. I'd argue that Valfar was a biggest loss to black metal than either Euronymous or Dead of Mayhem.

Astarte: A early group to fly the flag for female black metal musicians. Debut is great if you can appreciate the traditional raw sound of the genre, otherwise it's better to listen to Quod Superius Sicut Inferius.

Limbonic Art: Great debut that they've never topped.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by TheHeavyMetalCat TheHeavyMetalCat wrote:

Enslaved: Later work is better.

I think I'm one of the few people who is the other way around. While to be fair, I've only heard the debut and Isa, I find the debut to be an excellent old school black metal album that has a great sense of melody and atmosphere whereas I just found Isa to be decent.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 1:35pm
For my usual taste I ought to prefer their early more traditional black metal based works but my favourite two albums are Below the Lights and Isa. RIITIIR is also excellent.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 2:32pm
For me it's between Ulver and Satyricon, the only two on the list I've given 5 stars to. Picked up both on CD recently but Satyricon is yet to arrived. I'll vote at a later date. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 3:16pm
Many classics bands here but most delivered their best works with their second albums or later. I think it has to go to Ulver, who peaked early as far as their metal work goes.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 3:21pm
One additional album I think is worth a mention is one I'm not sure could really be considered a classic due to being more obscure, but is fairly well regarded by those in the know: Weakling's sole album Dead as Dreams. Unfortunately it's one of those albums that despite it's high regard remains long out of print.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 5:20pm
Bathory. It simply couldn't be anything else.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 3:56am
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

One additional album I think is worth a mention is one I'm not sure could really be considered a classic due to being more obscure, but is fairly well regarded by those in the know: Weakling's sole album Dead as Dreams. Unfortunately it's one of those albums that despite it's high regard remains long out of print.

I've been curious about Weakling for a long time but still haven't heard them.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 6:46am
There's quite a few there I've not heard but I've probably heard enough to vote and I'll go with Enslaved, though I agree that their later work is better.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 5:57am
Went with Satyricon in the end. I'm doing a review for it that should be up later today. 
GG2U

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 10:36am
I went for Emperor. I love many of these albums though. I agree with HeavyMetalCat that Burzum is waaaaaay overrated. I don't dislike the classics but find them rather uninteresting compared to most other black metal of hte time
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 12:52pm
I'm not a fan of Burzum either. As my review for Filosofem shows. Really don't get how that is the #1 black metal album on RYM.

This, from the debut album, is easily a contender for the worst black metal track ever recorded to my ears.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 2:03pm
Yeah, War is a pretty ridiculous track. It was the first Burzum song I heard and it put me off really giving the whole project a go for years. I eventually saw a cheap copy of Hvis Lyset Tar Oss second hand and took a gamble on it, and I've come to highly regard the album. Didn't buy anything else from Burzum until last year though, when I found a few more albums second hand, including the one War is on. There is better stuff on the album, but it's probably my least favourite of all the ones I have. 

I do kinda of dig Filosofem's minimalist atmosphere to be honest. I see it as an album where you either get it or you don't. The best black metal album of all time? Hardly. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic