MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Somewhere in Time

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Somewhere in Time
    Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 7:32am
Okay, let's cut the chit-chat and discuss what this site was really made for. Iron Maiden appreciation.

Just kidding, but there is a specific album by this legendary band that's often sidelined by their much more popular releases. Somewhere in Time I believe is one of the greatest heavy metal records of all time, and I think shining some more light on it would make sense.

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 7:46am
You're right, it's a great album which would shine in any heavy metal band's discography. Unfortunately for the album it isn't the best that Maiden released. Wasted Years is a cool track for sure.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 8:01am
It's a very good album from their classic period, but it does tend to get (justifiably) overshadowed by the two albums it sits between.  
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 8:14am
Personally it´s my favorite Iron Maiden album, so I´m ready to give it some love Hug.

I appreciate the Whole futuristic sci-fi thing they have going on here, and the use of synth guitars is pretty cool and unusual for Iron Maiden. I know they also did it on Seventh Son...but not to the same extent.

"Somewhere in Time" was actually the first ever album I purchased, a long, long time ago LOL. I have since purchased it Again twice. Once on vinyl to replace my orignal vinyl purchase, which was worn and featured a skip error on The Loneliness...and once on CD.

...so yeah I´m a huge fan of this particular Iron Maiden album.

Edited by UMUR - 31 Mar 2017 at 8:14am
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 11:13am
I agree with Jonas and Thatcher. While Powerslave is VERY close to being my favorite IM album, Somewhere in Time has recently taken the edge over it. I also think it's one of the greatest albums of all time.

Every song on there is among my all time favorite songs, Wasted Years especially. I honestly have never understood why it doesn't get much appreciation compared to some of their other albums. But then again, Dance of Death is my favorite of post-2000's Maiden which is often seen as the weakest, so what do I know? LOL
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 11:32am
I'm very fond of Dance of Death as well. A very underrated Iron Maiden album, that one. To my ears it's one of their most diverse releases, if not the most diverse. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 5:25pm
The first Maiden album I ever got. I didn't actually purchase it, but dubbed it. I'm sure the older members here will remember double tape decks.Wink And of course, I have since bought it on CD. It's the album I go back to most often. It also contains my all time favourite Iron Maiden song- Alexander The Great, because of which I did a course in Greek classics at university (I failed miserably, but that's a different story...).
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 6:49am
Following Powerslave it was bound to get overshadowed but I still think it's a great album and prefer it to Seventh Son... which is still a great album.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 10:23am
Neither Seventh Son nor Powerslave (love this album too, though) I felt had the same punch as Somewhere in Time did. Also Somewhere in Time was inspired by Blade Runner. How can you beat that? Thumbs Up

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 11:27am
I personally love the proggier sound of Seventh Son which edges the album ahead of all the other 80's albums for me. Of course they had the beginnings of that on Somewhere in Time but not to the same extent. The three albums, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son are definitely the top 3 of 80's Maiden for me though. 
GG2U

keefer1970 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keefer1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 6:17am
It was the first Maiden album I ever owned so it's a sentimental fave. I was aware of their existence prior to the release of S.I.T. of course, but due to being a broke teenager at the time I hadn't gotten round to buying any of their stuff till Somewhere was released in '86.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 2:56pm
Somewhere In Time - awesome album. Been listening to it over 30 years and it never fails to impress. Often when I spin this album I get the ‘first listen joy’, that doesn’t happen with many albums. My favourite Maiden though is The X Factor.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 11:51pm
The X Factor is an unusual choice. A lot of people really hate it. I don't hate any Iron Maiden album, but The X Factor is my least favourite.
MrMan2000 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMan2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 12:28pm
Know I'm in a minority here, but this is when Maiden kinda jumped the shark for me. Had been an avid fan up until then and bought the album the day it came out.  Tried really hard to like it...but just couldn't.  

Mostly I feel like they ran out of music ideas by then and were reallllly repeating themselves. The songs were very repetitive, the vocal melodies lacking. 

Seventh Son was a better effort but IMO they were again just re-doing songs they had done before.  Again, know I'm in a minority here and most IM fans feel differently.  
Check out my Rock and Roll Soap Box site on YouTube where I opine on various things rock: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGJZ37mEgLpKzYvPbXcHQkg
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 12:17am
Dude, what songs did they redo? The experimental period of 86 to 88 was fresh and new in my ears lol.
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 3:55am
Yeah MrMan2000 I loved Seventh Son and liked Somewhere In Time. While I agree with ProgMetaller2012 that it was no re-hash, it didn't grab me the way the albums either side of it did.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 10:17am
Just listened to it recently. I used to not like it as well as the others of the first 7 albums but it has grown on me big time. Really just consider the first 7 I.M. albums essential and all good. My fave drifts from one to the other depending on my mood. THe only one that doesn't rank as high is Killers but it's still excellent.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 1:27pm
For a long time I found it overshadowed by those it was sandwiched between, but I think out of all Iron Maiden albums it's the one where my interest still continues to grow. I went through their albums in order earlier this year and Somewhere in Time stood out as something of a revelation this time around; couldn't shake the impression that it really was a more special album in their discography than I'd really given it credit for before. 
GG2U

Negoba View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 2:23pm
This was the first real heavy metal album I owned. I had a few glam/pop metal albums and ZZTop before that, but this was my first intro. The album art is awesome and I remember sitting with the insert reading lyrics - the classic story from old farts.

Wasted Years is rightfully one of their all time greatest hits and it's a solid album overall. But it does get a little same-y once you listen all the way through. 

I still think Queensryche borrowed some ideas from this album for Mindcrime.
We're gonna do a little number featuring Randy Rhoads...

Wine is fine but whisky's quicker.

That's what Rock n' Roll's About!!!!
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 11:08am
I haven't listened to it enough to have a real opinion on it. Gonna have to change that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image