MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Archives

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlkpad14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Archives
    Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 8:13pm
I'm a newbie to this site, but I've been on Prog Archives for a good month or so. I'm just interested in how much this site bares resemblance to PA, and if there're any major differences between MMA and PA besides the obvious difference in genres.

I'm confused as to why I had to make a new account. My account on PA has the same information and settings...

Anyways, please let me know anything I ought to know about MMA and what was the other archives site, with jazz?
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 8:46pm
Hey there! Yes, MMA and PA are similar because they both run off the Web Wiz Forums system, thus why the forums for both sites look practically identical aside from a color difference. About your account -- you had to make a new one because although PA and MMA run off the same setup, I believe they are run off of different servers. This also holds true for Jazz Music Archives (JMA), our other sister site. Fortunately there's no restrictions for you just copying your user info from PA to here, so you can do that if you want.

If you're looking for rules/guidelines for using MMA, there's a perfect thread for you.

There are differences between MMA and PA, but they are more prevalent on the main site than on the forums. One big difference is that each album from a band/musician's discography has their own unique subgenre identification, meaning an artist can be under multiple genres whilst on PA they can only be under one. That's the only glaring difference I can really think of, but if my fellow collaborators have any other examples I'm sure they'd be happy to fill you in.

It might also be helpful to point out that the site is currently undergoing some renovations. You may have noticed that currently we have a Google search widget on the site that allows you to search for bands, similar to the one on PA. However, to the best of my knowledge, this is a temporary fixture until the original one is restored (the original is the same as the one on JMA), as we've been experiencing some site problems lately. We are working as best as we can to fix them. Some genres on this site were only introduced very recently and we are still working on going through and writing descriptions for each.

I'm sure you are well-versed about the system on PA, but just in case, I'll give you a very quick rundown on collaborators. The collaborator/admin team are really the guys who run this place, and you can talk to any one of them if you have any burning questions related to the site. The special collaborator team mainly consists of genre aficionados who's job is to maintain and add bands under their allocated genre (I'm under the doom team for example), however if you join a specific genre team you aren't restricted to that one genre and can freely add bands to other genres. (Note: special collaborators are specifcally collaborators who are in charge of specific genres, but some collaborators are just general collaborators who aren't a part of any one genre.) However we don't like to just have a gung-ho nature about adding things, and sometimes consultation is recommended on some more controversial additions. Adding bands in genres under the metal related category in particular should be checked with collaborators of the band's respective field. If you wish to become a collaborator, you can just ask any member of the admin team and they'll discuss it with you. If you are prolific in writing and submitting reviews to the site, you may want to become a metal reviewer. Becoming a metal reviewer gives you a heavier swing towards the weighted average score of an album when you rate/review it. If you wish to learn more, just check out the aforementioned Site Rules and Guidelines thread.

I may have missed a few things, but I'm sure the other collaborators and admins will fill in any gaps in the information I may have given you. Enjoy your stay! Wink
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 9:55pm
Welcome to MMA, hope you enjoy the site! Clap

I think Thatcher (aglasshouse) covered everything, but if you have any questions feel free to ask any of the current collaborator/admin team.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 12:57am
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

Hey there! Yes, MMA and PA are similar because they both run off the Web Wiz Forums system, thus why the forums for both sites look practically identical aside from a color difference. About your account -- you had to make a new one because although PA and MMA run off the same setup, I believe they are run off of different servers. This also holds true for Jazz Music Archives (JMA), our other sister site. Fortunately there's no restrictions for you just copying your user info from PA to here, so you can do that if you want.

Each site/forum is independent. Not sure if they are on the same actual server or not but that's neither here nor there on this matter. If it was one forum connected to three linked sites them that would maybe work but it's not as it's three different communities that just happen to have been founded and are owned by the same people. 

If you're looking for rules/guidelines for using MMA, there's a perfect thread for you.

There are differences between MMA and PA, but they are more prevalent on the main site than on the forums. One big difference is that each album from a band/musician's discography has their own unique subgenre identification, meaning an artist can be under multiple genres whilst on PA they can only be under one. That's the only glaring difference I can really think of, but if my fellow collaborators have any other examples I'm sure they'd be happy to fill you in.

All three sites run the addition of artists pretty differently too. While I've personally never been a collab on PA, I've heard how every artist has to be voted in regardless of sub-genre, which can take a long time. It's of course harder to always agree on what makes something prog than it does metal or jazz though.

We on the other hand mostly allow all collabs to add artists to our sub-genres freely. There are a few that require approval to be gained first though (Alternative, Glam, Hard Rock, Hardcore and Proto) and a couple that are under the admin team's direct control (Metal Related and Non-Metal). 

JMA on the other hand appears to have most of its work done by the two main admins. 

It might also be helpful to point out that the site is currently undergoing some renovations. You may have noticed that currently we have a Google search widget on the site that allows you to search for bands, similar to the one on PA. However, to the best of my knowledge, this is a temporary fixture until the original one is restored (the original is the same as the one on JMA), as we've been experiencing some site problems lately. We are working as best as we can to fix them. Some genres on this site were only introduced very recently and we are still working on going through and writing descriptions for each.

That new search is actually here to stay.

I'm sure you are well-versed about the system on PA, but just in case, I'll give you a very quick rundown on collaborators. The collaborator/admin team are really the guys who run this place, and you can talk to any one of them if you have any burning questions related to the site. The special collaborator team mainly consists of genre aficionados who's job is to maintain and add bands under their allocated genre (I'm under the doom team for example), however if you join a specific genre team you aren't restricted to that one genre and can freely add bands to other genres. (Note: special collaborators are specifcally collaborators who are in charge of specific genres, but some collaborators are just general collaborators who aren't a part of any one genre.) However we don't like to just have a gung-ho nature about adding things, and sometimes consultation is recommended on some more controversial additions. Adding bands in genres under the metal related category in particular should be checked with collaborators of the band's respective field. If you wish to become a collaborator, you can just ask any member of the admin team and they'll discuss it with you. If you are prolific in writing and submitting reviews to the site, you may want to become a metal reviewer. Becoming a metal reviewer gives you a heavier swing towards the weighted average score of an album when you rate/review it. If you wish to learn more, just check out the aforementioned Site Rules and Guidelines thread.

I may have missed a few things, but I'm sure the other collaborators and admins will fill in any gaps in the information I may have given you. Enjoy your stay! Wink

I think you covered everything pretty well Thatcher, but I'll just add that non-collaborator members can always leave suggestions for missing artists to be added here and report any errors and omissions they spot here
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 5:26am
Welcome to MMA Tongue
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 5:39am
Indeed, welcome. Good to see you here.
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlkpad14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 2:40pm
Thanks guys!Smile

I've noticed that most of the people on these forums are reviewers and collaborators, which wasn't so true on PA. Are there less people here, or just more reviewers and collaborators?

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by mlkpad14 mlkpad14 wrote:

I've noticed that most of the people on these forums are reviewers and collaborators, which wasn't so true on PA. Are there less people here, or just more reviewers and collaborators?

It's both, there aren't nearly as many active members here than on PA, and most of us are collaborators. There are a few active regular forum users who visit from time to time though. 
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlkpad14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

It's both, there aren't nearly as many active members here than on PA, and most of us are collaborators. There are a few active regular forum users who visit from time to time though. 

Why do you think there are less members?
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 4:21pm
Probably a combination of more competition, mlkpad14, along with PA having the advantage of being the first major archive for prog music on the web.

It's a shame that more PA members don't also make use of this site. For progressive metal music, we likely have a lot more relevant bands here than PA does. PA covers a much wider spectrum of music and therefore will find it harder to have the depth of coverage that a site like MMA will have for metal bands (or JMA has for jazz bands). You're allowed to use them all without being disloyal Wink

We do have a lot of visitors to the site, just not as many active forum posters as we'd like.

mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlkpad14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

Probably a combination of more competition, mlkpad14, along with PA having the advantage of being the first major archive for prog music on the web.

It's a shame that more PA members don't also make use of this site. For progressive metal music, we likely have a lot more relevant bands here than PA does. PA covers a much wider spectrum of music and therefore will find it harder to have the depth of coverage that a site like MMA will have for metal bands (or JMA has for jazz bands). You're allowed to use them all without being disloyal Wink

We do have a lot of visitors to the site, just not as many active forum posters as we'd like.

That's really a shame. You can't really run polls or discussions if there aren't people to respond to. But you'll probably see me around. :-)
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 5:29pm
Well, PA has been around for some 9 years longer than we have, giving them the chance to form a more stable user-base. Unfortunately for us we haven't nearly amassed such as thing, but god knows we're trying! Wink
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 1:29am
We're also very encouraging in having everyone take part in any way they like with the site, including having an open door to becoming Metal Reviewer's and Collaborators. 

On PA I believe they make you wait quite a while before you can even get an invite and also won't even consider you unless you've been actively suggesting bands and such. That's their privilege I guess because they're a well established site but we're still in the growing stage, treading the waters to discover what works for us and what doesn't and we gratefully accept any offers of help whether its on database work (adding and updating artist profiles) as a collab or providing new reviews as Metal Reviewers (the invite for which goes out to any member who shows that they can write consistently good reviews). 

Even if those roads aren't for you, any member can still help the site just by being here, posting in topics (don't be afraid to resurrect old threads either if you have something you'd like to say - thread necromancy isn't discouraged here unlike most forums), starting new ones and on the main site, simply rating albums helps, as well as posting 'shouts' on reviews, artist pages etc... The thing is with site activity that I always say is that activity will breed activity. But there will only be activity as long as there are people willing to make it. 

And again, never be afraid to suggest as many missing artists for inclusion on the site as you can find and we'll look into and add them as quickly as we're humanly able. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 1:44am
Welcome to MMA! What sort of bands do you listen to?
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlkpad14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 4:58am
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

Welcome to MMA! What sort of bands do you listen to?

I listen to practically everything. A lot of prog, metal, alternative, and classic rock...

Currently-
1. David Gilmour + Pink Floyd
2. Genesis (all-time)
3. Metallica
4. Led Zeppelin
5. Peter Hammill + Van Der Graaf Generator
6. Eric Clapton + The Yardbirds + Dire Straits + Cream
7. Beastie Boys
8. Radiohead
9. Sting + The Police
10. Steven Wilson + Porcupine Tree + Blackfield + No-man
11. Peter Gabriel
12. Robert Fripp + King Crimson
13. Queen
14. The Rolling Stones
15. The Beatles
16. Aerosmith
17. Guns N Roses
18. Ozzy Osbourne + Black Sabbath
19. Camel
20. My Chemical Romance
21. Korn
22. Muse
22. Arctic Monkeys
23. Slipknot
24. REM
25. Dream Theater
26. Riverside
27. The Mars Volta
28. AC/DC
29. Rage Against The Machine
30. Green Day

Metal alone (currently) -
1. Metallica
2. Ozzy Osbourne + Black Sabbath
3. Korn 
4. Slipknot
5. Dream Theater
6. Riverside
7. AC/DC
8. Iron Maiden
9. Accept
10. System of a Down

My metal list may seem crude, but it's always changing, and this is what I've been listening to the most of lately. I also don't know where the boundary between hard rock and rap and metal is as I didn't add Beastie Boys or Guns N Roses.

They're both bound to change.

What do you like? :)

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 11:32am
^Nice list, seems like you enjoy traditional heavy metal and alternative metal the most. Metallica, Black Sabbath, Korn, Iron Maiden, Accept, and SoaD are definitely among my favorites as well. Thumbs Up 

If you're looking to find more to listen to, the top album charts for each genre is a good way to get an idea of the different genre. Also feel free to rate any albums you've heard! Unlike PA, if you choose to ever write reviews, the review will come on the front-page even if you've rated the album long before. Smile
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlkpad14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 4:40pm

^Nice list, seems like you enjoy traditional heavy metal and alternative metal the most. Metallica, Black Sabbath, Korn, Iron Maiden, Accept, and SoaD are definitely among my favorites as well. Thumbs Up 

If you're looking to find more to listen to, the top album charts for each genre is a good way to get an idea of the different genre. Also feel free to rate any albums you've heard! Unlike PA, if you choose to ever write reviews, the review will come on the front-page even if you've rated the album long before. Smile

That's great to hear!
On PA I rated 2 albums - OK Computer (Radiohead) and Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV Volume 1: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness (Coheed and Cambria).

I've been listening to a lot of Led Zeppelin, Clapton, and Hendrix lately... Do you have any suggestions for bluesy metal?
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 7:51pm

I've been listening to a lot of Led Zeppelin, Clapton, and Hendrix lately... Do you have any suggestions for bluesy metal?

Most of Corrosion of Conformity's post-crossover thrash stuff is pretty bluesy metal. Here's one of my favorites:

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 12:56am

That's great to hear!
On PA I rated 2 albums - OK Computer (Radiohead) and Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV Volume 1: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness (Coheed and Cambria).

Lots of bluesy stuff on the first couple of Danzig albums, and I can recommend Nashville Pussy too.
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlkpad14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

That's great to hear!

Lots of bluesy stuff on the first couple of Danzig albums, and I can recommend Nashville Pussy too.

Danzig is definitely unique. It may take a few more listens of How The Gods Kill before I really grow to like them. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic