Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What music magazines do you read/buy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What music magazines do you read/buy?
    Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 11:44am
Just curious what music magazines everyone/reads/buys/subcribes too...

I subscribe to Zero Tolerance and I did to Classic Rock until they went bust - now they're back on their feet but I already cancelled so might re-subscribe. Get Metal Hammer every couple of issues. Only occasionally get Classic Rock Prog due to the steep price. Now and again pick up Terrorizer and Decibel. Used to get Mojo quite a lot but haven't bought it for ages.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 12:43pm
I read a couple online magazines like Loudwire and Metal Forces (It used to be publicized until it shut down in 93, but it's been rebooted as a "webzine".). 

I've thought about subscribing to Metal Hammer, as I've enjoyed reading the old issues my mom has from the 80's/early 90's, but I'm not sure what it's like these days. Is it any good? 
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 4:41pm
I'd forgotten about Metal Forces. Vaguely rememeber that from many years back and may even have a few old copies stashed away.

Metal Hammer is pretty good actually with a fairly wide coverage of all metal.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 1:43pm
I subscribed to Metal Hammer for a good many years but I eventually cancelled as I got more involved with metal websites, including starting my own forum which ran for quite a few years. I don't read any these days. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
keefer1970 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keefer1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 7:12am
I was a long time reader of Metal Maniacs, Metal Edge, RIP, Circus, etc., but they're all defunct now. I still have a couple of boxes of back issues stashed away in my closet. I miss those mags. 

I think the last "music magazine" I bought was some kind of KISS special tour mag tied into the release of the "Monster" album, which was what, four or five years ago now? 
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 12:08pm
^ I'm not familiar with some of them. I guess they never made it across the pond.

Kerrang! was always the big one here back in the 80's until it got all Nu-metal and aimed for the Kiddie market. Never bought a copy since. Still have Number 1 and a lot of back issues.

Edited by Nightfly - 07 Jul 2017 at 12:10pm
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keefer1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Kerrang! was always the big one here back in the 80's until it got all Nu-metal and aimed for the Kiddie market. Never bought a copy since. Still have Number 1 and a lot of back issues.

I only ever bought one issue of Kerrang. The cover story was Richard Marx (?), which struck me as weird. Here in the U.S.  we were under the impression that Kerrang was some kind of true underground metal Bible, haha. Never bothered with it after that. 

By the late '80s though, I actually preferred the U.K. metal mags like Metal Hammer and Metal Forces over the U.S. mags, which were mostly pin-ups of the same dozen or so glam/hair bands over and over again.  
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 12:22pm
^ Just goes to show, Kerrang was a big seller here in the day. Not sure how it sells now.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by keefer1970 keefer1970 wrote:

Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

I only ever bought one issue of Kerrang. The cover story was Richard Marx (?), which struck me as weird. Here in the U.S.  we were under the impression that Kerrang was some kind of true underground metal Bible, haha. Never bothered with it after that. 

By the late '80s though, I actually preferred the U.K. metal mags like Metal Hammer and Metal Forces over the U.S. mags, which were mostly pin-ups of the same dozen or so glam/hair bands over and over again.  

They also had Michael Bolton on the cover once.LOL When they dared put The Prodigy on the cover of Kerrang!, the magazine received bomb threats. I think a few idiots took it too far. I used to be an admin on K!'s message board, when I lived in Korea. I was spending a lot of time online, and because of the time difference, I was able to deal with trolls in the middle of the (European) night.

The only magazine I can actually find now is Metal Hammer, and I haven't bought one in a while. There is just too much stuff I don't care about now, and their worship of all things Slipknot related is just sickening.

Back in the day, I used to buy Aussie based Hot Metal.
https://www.facebook.com/HotMetalMag/
What was really good about it was it covered a very wide range of metal, hard rock, and a bit of punk, and it really helped me out with learning about the Aussie scene, which was fucking great. Editor Robyn Doreian(sp?) went on to edit UK magazines as well. It folded in 1996 I think, and was replaced with Loudmouth, which was still pretty thorough, but only short-lived.

Metal Maniacs was great too. I loved the way it only covered the extreme end of the scene- basically thrash and power metal and heavier. It was cheaply printed on newsprint, but it covered some pretty obscure bands at times, and seemed to have a finger on the pulse. There was once an Axl Rose centrefold, put there at the insistence of the publisher, so the editor said so! Not many mags would get away with that. Their only misstep was a big feature on Korn, right before Korn's debut album went ballistic. They weren't to know how big nu-metal would get. It also went a bit SJW at one stage, refusing to cover Deicide because of some stupid animal rights thing. Metal Maniac's message board used to be a right wing, neo-fascist stronghold at times. One of the members of Anal Cunt (not Seth) used to post there under the pseudonym Adolf Kevorkian. Classy...Disapprove

There was also a mag based in the UK called Thrash n Burn. It was excellent, covering thrash, death, and this new thing called black metal. It looked good, and covered lots of the bands I loved. The name was holding the mag back somewhat, as it didn't really reflect the changing metal scene, as thrash faded, and death and black metal flourished. And then it disappeared. It got replaced by a mag called Xtreme Noize, which despite the name, covered exactly the same bands as Thrash n Burn had. It didn't last long, and was replaced by a little mag called Terrorizer.

Being a dick, I didn't buy the first issue, because I thought it would be a fly-by-night thing again. Almost 25 years of history has proved me wrong.Embarrassed It was the best, and still is the best, whenever I can find a copy. It had a great online community back in the late 90s, and editor Nick Terry even used to appear on the message board from time to time. Situations changed, and I drifted away from it, and found the mag harder to find. Then I started finding it more regularly again about 10 years ago, which was great, especially with the covermount CDs. And then the earthquakes came.Ouch Every single shop in Christchurch which carried it was destroyed! I rediscovered the message board though, and still post there. It is pretty quiet, populated by a bunch of grumpy old metal fans similar to myself, none of whom actually buy the magazine.LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keefer1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 6:29am
^^ Very cool, I didn't know that Terrorizer was still going, I haven't seen a copy in ages. 

I never visited Metal Maniacs' forums but I was a regular reader for their entire run.  I even had a few letters printed in the mail section over the years. I miss that mag. :(

Here's some fun, useless metal mag trivia: the now defunct U.S. mag "RIP" was a product of L.F.P. Incorporated, aka Larry Flynt Publications -- the same fine folks who bring us HustlerTongue
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 12:06am
Originally posted by keefer1970 keefer1970 wrote:

^^ Very cool, I didn't know that Terrorizer was still going, I haven't seen a copy in ages. 

I never visited Metal Maniacs' forums but I was a regular reader for their entire run.  I even had a few letters printed in the mail section over the years. I miss that mag. :(

Here's some fun, useless metal mag trivia: the now defunct U.S. mag "RIP" was a product of L.F.P. Incorporated, aka Larry Flynt Publications -- the same fine folks who bring us HustlerTongue

Never liked RIP that much. Didn't know about the Flynt connection either.

Here's the Terrorizer mag site link:
http://www.terrorizer.com/
Just be careful of the message board. There are some very grumpy old men there.Wink
Save
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic