0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What genre is St. Anger?
    Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 3:51am
It's usually agreed that Metallica's St. Anger isn't a very good album. What's not agreed is what genre it's actually supposed to be.

Here on MMA for example we have it pegged as thrash metal.

On RYM the vote has turned up Alternative Metal. You can see a number of other suggestions for it's genre there as well, with some claiming it's not even metal, but hard rock. Some people have even voted for it as noise rock, post-hardcore or garage rock.

Wikipedia has it down as heavy metal. This is also the top tag for it on Last.fm.

I've seen it described as many more things that this including nu-metal, groove metal, stoner metal, speed metal and many other things that don't make any sense to me. I've even seen some people call it progressive or avant-garde metal.

Personally I think of it as simply their attempt at making a modern sounding metal album, which I suppose fits alternative metal the most.

Discuss.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 11:14am
It's been so long since I played it that I can't really say for certain. I remember back at the time I just assumed it was thrash because that's what Metallica was and I was only just discovering heavy rock and metal so didn't know any better. I can rule a few of these options out and say it's definitely not prog, avant-garde, speed, stoner, hard rock, hardcore or nu and I'd probably rule out heavy metal as well. Could be any of the other three. Not sure. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 11:24am
Well I'm one of those few people who doesn't think St. Anger is that bad of an album, I think it has some great tracks on it (albeit being a bit too long).

Personally I'm fine with it being in thrash metal, but I suppose groove metal may be a better fit. I see it as one of those albums that borders on thrash and groove metal, so either of those works for me. Also, alternative metal doesn't equal modern-sounding metal album, alternative metal usually means a metal band that takes influence from a wide range of both metal and non-metal styles.

St. Anger does sound like an attempt at a modern-sounding album (Although I've heard the band meant it to be a "back to the garage sound of a band just starting out" album), but it does that without really taking any elements from styles other than thrash and groove.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 8:13pm
Alternative metal? Definitely not. If it's alternative metal then there would be alternative elements, of which there are none. I do agree with Khaliq though, the sound is more reminiscent of groove metal considering.

Don't lump it in with alternative metal just because you don't like it. Conversely, alternative metal isn't defined as a modern metal album. There's other more complex elements to it.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

Don't lump it in with alternative metal just because you don't like it.

I lumped it in nu-metal because I don't like it...
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

If you like willful ignorance, so be it.
Warthur View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 4:08am
I guess the rationale behind calling it nu-metal comes down to two things:

- It came out in 2003, when nu-metal was still hot and people lazily applied the term to any metal that didn't fit into a more obvious category.

- Nu-metal tends to downplay guitar solos, St. Anger doesn't have any.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 5:26am
I replayed a few tracks this morning (and it may be just the nostalgia but they weren't as bad as I seemed to be telling myself they ought to be, drum sound aside) and based on those I think us having this in thrash is way off the mark and it doesn't scream groove metal at me either, at least as far as my admittedly limited experience with groove metal goes. 

Heavy metal or alternative metal would be my 'either or' picks. I'm leaning towards the latter though and that's not lumping it in because I hate, because I actually don't hate it. Being my first metal album purchased (as unusual gateway album as it is), it's still pretty important to me so I'd like to see it tagged appropriately. That's not thrash. If there's any lumping in to be done regarding alternative, it's because there's no better 'best fit' for the album. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 7:48am
Speaking from a point of experience as well as considering the time frame the album was released in, St. Anger is not alternative metal. Thrash isn't correct either though. Personally what I'm leaning towards is plain Heavy but I'm not exactly qualified to speak on the behalf of something like groove mainly because of my similar lack of knowledge. Khaliq may be able to better explain his feelings towards his groove opinion but that aside trad. is my personal best bet.

Trad is just more all encompassing than alternative metal, especially seeing as in 2003 alternative metal was still a derivative form of it's more recent self, with more post-grunge and alternative rock elements. Sure it's more diverse now but in the early 2000s alt metal was actually quite stagnant. Traditional goes back much longer and similarly can have many diverse sounds lumped under it. Just my opinion.
Warthur View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 7:55am
Lemme go down the list...

Alternative Metal: It doesn't really fit into any established tradition of alternative metal, but then again "alternative" music in general is a really broad umbrella which generally covers "anything which bucked traditional rock/metal trends from the 1980s/1990s onwards". To make the analogy, there's an awful lot of "alternative rock" bands who don't really sound like each other (the Cure sound nothing like Oasis, for instance), so there's no reason to assume that alternative metal release necessarily have much in common beyond a non-traditional approach which isn't quite weird enough to be avant-garde.

Funk Metal, Nu Metal: No, clearly not either of these.

Avant-garde Metal: Nope, it's definitely not traditional but it's not really weird enough to be avant-garde.

Black Metal/Death Metal/Doom Metal/Drone Metal/Folk Metal/Glam Metal/Gothic Metal/Grindcore: A clear "nope" to all these.

Groove Metal: I've yet to see a really strong argument that it's groove beyond the fact that groove is kind of descended from thrash and St. Anger is kind of descended from thrash. Don't think so.

Industrial Metal/Metalcore/Neoclassical metal/Power Metal/Progressive Metal: Nope.

Sludge Metal: I'm not seeing it myself.

Speed Metal/Stoner Metal/Symphonic Metal: Obviously not.

Thrash Metal: No, it's drifted too far from that.

Traditional heavy metal: Clue's in the name, really - I'd have a hard time accepting anything which takes St. Anger's particular aesthetic decisions like ditching guitar solos as being "traditional" heavy metal by any description.

US Power Metal: No.

Metal Related: It's clearly some sort of metal, but what type is an open question.

So on balance, I'm inclined to agree: "Alternative Metal" isn't a perfect fit, but it's the least bad fit any of our existing categories offer. And it'd be silly to come up with a new "St. Anger Metal" category just for this one album.
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 8:01am
We've been talking about asking M@X to drop the 'traditional' part of the sub-genre's name. Just have Heavy Metal. There's a lot of stuff including many modern bands that definitely aren't alternative metal that fit there, so dropping the traditional part of the name makes a lot of sense.

I'd take St. Anger in heavy metal over thrash metal any day. I'm more neutral on the heavy vs alternative argument though. Either one works for me.

Edited by 666sharon666 - 14 Feb 2017 at 9:27am
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 10:08am
Listening to some of the songs again. I can still rule out alternative, as the only connection to that I can hear is the occasional AiC-esque vocal melody. Musically, it is hard to place. I still stand with saying the album does have a mix of thrash and groove, Frantic coming across as thrash to my ears, while My World has sort of a southern groove metal sound.

If the "traditional" is dropped from heavy metal, I suppose it would be fine there, but that still doesn't sound quite right. 
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Warthur View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 10:21am
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

We've been talking about asking M@X to drop the 'traditional' part of the sub-genre's name. Just have Heavy Metal. There's a lot of stuff including many modern bands that definitely aren't alternative metal that fit there, so dropping the traditional part of the name makes a lot of sense.
I think the risk there is that then Heavy Metal *will* become the generic "We're not sure where it goes so we'll toss it in here" subgenre.

Maybe keep Traditional as a subgenre of Heavy, like NWOBHM is?
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 4:06pm

Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

If you like willful ignorance, so be it.

It's because I don't like nu-metal either. Wink

I really don't know what the hell you call it, because there's no genre for abominations. I was really just trying to mess with the poll.Ouch
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 9:16pm
I see it as alternative metal myself. Alternative means "outside the norm" but not weird enough for avantgarde or progressive. While nu metal may have been an influence it's not that either becaue they keep some ties to thrash compositional approaches even if the familiarities had been deemphasized. I actually like it better than most as well, much better than the 90s output after the black album
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 4:38am
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

I think the risk there is that then Heavy Metal *will* become the generic "We're not sure where it goes so we'll toss it in here" subgenre.

Maybe keep Traditional as a subgenre of Heavy, like NWOBHM is?

That would only confuse matters as traditional metal and heavy metal are two names for the same thing. The difference is one name narrows the scope of the genre and the other broadens it. Calling the sub-genre traditional heavy metal like we have now suggests that it's only for artists who really are traditional. It doesn't leave any room for the artists who have a modern sound but still mostly have the same values as genuine traditional heavy metal bands and could be considered a natural evolution of them. All genres evolve, heavy metal included. That's why specifically saying 'traditional' is too limiting.
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 8:14am
Hey just so we're clear on something (not saying that anyone has implied anything) I didn't start this topic to contest the album's placement on MMA. It's just that so many different sites list the album as a different genre and I was curious about what everyone thought. I actually assumed the collab version of this discussion would have been done long ago and that thrash had been settled on.

Though as no one here does consider it thrash maybe it should be moved.
Warthur View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 11:43am

Calling the sub-genre traditional heavy metal like we have now suggests that it's only for artists who really are traditional. It doesn't leave any room for the artists who have a modern sound but still mostly have the same values as genuine traditional heavy metal bands and could be considered a natural evolution of them.
Surely having mostly the same values as those who have come before you is the definition of traditional?
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 12:00pm
I see your point, but some collabs have in the past objected to the more modern sounding (so called melodic metal) bands being placed in the sub-genre for not being 'traditional enough' which in my view is wrong.

But more to the point, 'heavy metal' on its own is the more used name. I know some prefer to say traditional heavy metal to differentiate from the genre as a whole, but it's more correct to say 'metal' is the genre as a whole and 'heavy metal' is a sub-genre.

We're talking about a re-name only, not a change in how the sub-genre is run.
Warthur View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 3:26am
I think the simple fact that lots of people use "heavy metal" to refer to metal as a whole is argument enough for the current genre name - it emphasises that it *isn't* a catch-all term but means something specific.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic