Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dream Theater Reject Portnoy Reunion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalbaswee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dream Theater Reject Portnoy Reunion
    Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 11:34am

Dream Theater have turned down Mike Portnoy�s offer to return to the band.

In a post on his own forum Mike Portnoy revealed that he tried to reconcile with his former bandmates but that they rejected him.

Here�s the post in full:

Fairly recently, I reached out to the guys to try and make amends and offered to reconcile for the sake of having peace back in our lives...(plus I know how much it meant to alot of the fans...)

I figured it was still possible to try and save us because they hadn't made any announcements yet or begun any public activity with another drummer...but sadly, they declined my offer (well, actually their lawyer did...they didn't even tell me themselves....)

Sorry gang, I honestly gave it my all...

So now the fans on my twitter and facebook can please stop asking me to go back to DT...I tried, and the door is now shut...the ball is now in their court, not mine...

PS - I'm not crying or looking for mercy by posting this...I am merely trying to set the record straight as that is always the most important thing about my relationship with you guys...no BS, no spins, nothing to hide...and for better or for worse, I tell it like it is...

I've also recently seen some people accuse my online activity of "looking for attention or media coverage" or "looking for sympathy", but it's honestly none of the above...I merely value having an open and active communication with my fans...always have, always will...it is the cornerstone of everything I've done since day #1 with DT....

This was posted here FOR YOU GUYS to know about...here on MY message board on MY website....if it ends up on Blabbermouth or some other website that chooses to sensationalize it, that is THEIR doing....I did not send it out or create a "press release"....I am merely responding on a thread on my own Forum....

Anyways, onward and upward...

Thanks for the report to PlanetRock.com.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 12:13pm
Hmm, that is interesting that the rest of the band would reject him from returning to the fold.  Seems like there has to be more to the story than what he is sharing. 
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 12:36pm
This situation got ugly, Portnoy seems to have pissed of his band mates - he actually was rejected by some lawyer?! Ouch Such a shame this whole situation got so out of hand. 
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 2:42pm
This is gettin' ugly... I was really hoping they would settle this out before something like this happened. Ouch
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 3:08pm
There is always more to the story....lawyers?? Obviously about money, tour/recording schedule, time off...etc. I'm sure Mike just didn't call up and say "hey I wanna come back". Certified letters sent between laywers....still sounds pretty ugly to me. I don't know if I would write off them getting back together but what it seems to me if they ever do get back together it will be a lifeless group run by lawyers.
I just can't help think that the creative juices will never flow as they did on past albums, something always gets lost in these scenarios.

What a shame.....
US Festival '83 "Heavy Metal Sunday" Survivor....
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 4:07pm
This story keeps on getting more ugly/interesting depending on your perspective (or both ugly and interesting LOL). 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 4:49pm
It could be a case of him selling his financial stake in the DT business when he left, and now wanting back in where he left off and the guys saying no.  It could be a case of them having already written the new material for their next album, and not wanting to have to go back to scratch to appease Mike.  It could be hurt feelings over the fact that he left it the first place.  It could be that they decided that they were actually happier now without his bad attitude in the room.  It could be that they heard he was recording Testimony 2 with Neal Morse, instead of being available for them when they need him in January.  Or it could be Yoko Ono's fault.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 6:23pm
You know, I don't think John Petrucci ever got along fabulously with Portnoy
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 12:27am
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

This story keeps on getting more ugly/interesting depending on your perspective (or both ugly and interesting LOL). 

Yep that�s also my take on it, but I guess that�s a consequence of not being a major fan.
Metalbaswee View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalbaswee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 3:12am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

You know, I don't think John Petrucci ever got along fabulously with Portnoy

IMO, JP is the one that keeps everything together, he has good relations with all of them, and it was quite obvious that some members don't get along that well. 

Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 5:28am
IMO, the future, with or without MP, will much depend on the success of their next album in 2011.

For me, it will be interesting to see whether they write material close to the SFAM or 6DOIT era or move further towards modern metal.

Either way the coming months are particularly intriguing Smile

Metalbaswee View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalbaswee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 7:37am
Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

IMO, the future, with or without MP, will much depend on the success of their next album in 2011.

For me, it will be interesting to see whether they write material close to the SFAM or 6DOIT era or move further towards modern metal.

Either way the coming months are particularly intriguing Smile

I think they will move more to a Falling Into Infinity/Octavarium sound, seeing as their biggest metalhead has left. Not that that would be a bad thing.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic