MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turntable skipping but never used to

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turntable skipping but never used to
    Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 6:36am
I have recently been having major skipping issues with my turntable. Idk if it was the record or not cuz it played 2 records fine yesterday. It is a bsr record player in a relistics all in one with radio cassette and 8 traxk from the 70s. Ever since i took the turntable off to fix the 8 track part i have been experiencing random skipping. Sometimes it skipps in the same part. Hell when i apply a bit of pressure to the meedle while it is tracking it plays through a skippy part fine. But then i will leave a coin on it for more weight n get random skipps still with more weight. I even bought a brand new needle for it i accidently smashed my other in when fixin the 8 track. and am still getting random skipps. Sometimes the coin works n sometimes it doesnt. Also i messet with the cuing lever height adjustment knob and what is supost to be the teacking force and nothing. Though a coin giving weight on the needle will make it play my newly acquired brand new copy of ride the lightning with no skipps.   PLEASE HELP ME. WHY COULD I GO MONTHS WITH NO PROBLEMS AND SUDDENLY HAVE RANDOM SKIPPS

Edited by vmoore - 29 Dec 2016 at 6:39am
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 9:31am
Firstly I wouldn't weight your arm with a coin unless you want to ruin your records. A coin will add far too much weight despite solving the skipping problem some of the time. The fact that it doesn't solve it all the time points towards something else anyway. Sounds like it might be a tracking issue to me and the fact that the problem has only occurred since you took it apart to fix the 8 track suggests you may have not re-assembled it correctly. Might be worth stripping it down and re-assembling it again. Failing that you may need the help of a dealer that offers repairs.
Heed View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 1:04pm
Def never put weights on, as Nightfly said it will ruin your records.

Records players are not hard to set up properly (if they are adjustable) does it have a counterbalance weight that you can adjust?  Does it have anti skate?? What kind of cartridge has it, is it straight???

If you are sure you have it put back together properly and nothing was bent, then it has to be a set up issue.
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 6:22am
I just ordered a dif bsr turntable that sounds like according to it's description on ebay was serviced better than mine as the seller said he had done some things i did not even know were necessary or could even be done. All i did with mine was un cease it by cleaning out old dry grease and lubing it with new grease as that is the most common bsr problem. I choose bsr cuz i need 78 rpm function. I am pretty sure my malfunctioning one only has tracking force, arm lowering position and a height adjustment for the cuing lever. Also there is probably something majorly wrong with mine as the issues occuring only recently as i previously stated. I can adjust tracking force and get different results in trackability. One day it will play my reissue of metallica that i got sealed and hell many records in succession fine then another day it will skip on something it previously played fine. This is why i said fuck it n ordered a better condition bsr annd better serviced one. And it is not the needle as i ordered a new one when my other one fell apart

Edited by vmoore - 14 Jan 2017 at 6:27am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image