MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Celtic Frost

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Windhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Celtic Frost
    Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 3:21am
The description avant-garde metal was invented in 1986/7 due to CF's album Into the Pandemonium. I remember those references from Metal Forces and Metal Hammer back then, while eagerly awaiting my vinyl copy of aforementioned album from semi-legendary record shop Shades in London ;-)

I would have thought it natural that they should be placed in that category as well, despite their role as Godfathers of modern black metal :-)

Quote wikipedia: "Celtic Frost, along with Venom and Bathory were pioneers in the still underground black metal scene, although Celtic Frost were much more experimental with the addition of classical instruments, operatic female vocals and sampling. They were often given the title of avant-garde metal."
dean View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 6:54am
M@X says the MMA is organised by album-genre not band-genre so that *should* sort itself out
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 7:39am
Can you explain a bit further what that means Dean?
dean View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 10:46am
No. Because I don't know the mechanism of how the albums will be tagged - I am assuming that initialliy all albums in each bands discography where given a generic tag - so all CF albums were tagged black metal even though they weren't really Black Metal - in the fullness of time these tags will be changed to more accuratlry reflect what style of music the album reflects. I don't know how that will be done.

/edit:

Originally posted by m@x m@x wrote:

Also please note that MMA artist genre is ALBUM-BASED. As time goes by, genre of artists will evolve based on re-classification of the albums by admins, collabs. and member suggestion.

Embarrassed

Edited by dean - 28 Mar 2010 at 1:14pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 10:48am
Ok that sounds interesting if what you�re suggesting will become reality at some point.

Edited by UMUR - 28 Mar 2010 at 10:49am
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 10:54am
It sounds good, I think. Many bands have quite diverse discography, so it's a bit confusing to see all Ulver albums as black metal, for example.
dean View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 11:08am
No more confusing than having them all tagged "Post Rock" LOL
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 11:25am
Ah, that seems to be the case in PA... Oh dear those innocent people who turn on "Nattens Madrigal" in hope of some sweet post-rock... Tongue
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 5:31pm
I've even heard of Celtic Frost being termed as Thrash Metal, believe it or not...
dean View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 5:42pm
^ everything was either thrash or speed back in 1984
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 5:53pm
    ^
LOL
The T 666 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T 666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 10:56pm
Let's add albums and tag them as they need. If this was PA and the system worked this way, Genesis would be split into two, but it would appear only on one genre as a band, probably in the genre where the band has more albums. Celtic Frost should be categorized as black metal in most of their albums but also as avant-garde metal in monsters like Monotheist. The band is listed in black metal now, and I think that works/.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic