0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Solo Guitar Shredder?
    Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 11:19am
Who's your favorite out of these shred guitarists?

For me it's a three-way tie between Malmsteen, Satriani, and Buckethead.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 12:53pm
Vai has always impressed me the most (especially Passion & Warfare, Alien Love Secrets, and parts of Sex & Religion and Fire Garden. After than I lost a bit of interest). I´ve seen him twice in concert, and he is absolutely amazing on stage too. He is a great entertainer. The only issue I have with Vai is when he decides to sing...nope just don´t Smile.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 4:06pm
I'd go for Vai too. A bit more off the wall than your average shredder, probably due to the time he spent in Zappa's band.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 4:09pm
For me it's a tie between Bumblefoot (aka Ron Thal) and Matthias IA Eklundh. They are on a whole different level IMHO. 
MATTIAS IA EKLUNDH discography (top albums), reviews and MP3

Vai is way up there for his innovative  techniques but his vocal tracks on his solo albums bring him down a notch. 

Friedman and Becker are up there in the neoclassical department

Buckethead wins in the weirdness department but i can't say he has managed to weasel his way to the top of the list because he has too much filler.

Sisslith View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sisslith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 4:39pm
Marty Friedman and Jason Becker without a doubt.
Only the dead have seen the end of war.
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 11:28pm
Not much into shredders, but I've always had a soft spot for Joe Satriani (or Joe Sickbucket, as my little brother once called himLOL). I have mixed feelings on Steve Vai. Yes, he can play, but he soiled his copybook somewhat by joining Whitesnake. Then again, Devin Townsend once shit in his guitar case while on tour.ShockedDeadBig smile
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 5:50am
Jason Becker is the clear winner.
Steve Vai could have been first if it wasn't for Jason.

Then it depends on the mood. 

I've gone through a Malmsteen phase, a Vinnie Moore phase, a Satriani phase, a Bumblefoot phase and an IA phase. Marty Friedman, his first solo album is awesome, his work with Megadeth (on the 3 first albums at least) is awesome, and Cacophony is great. Just not my favorite shredder is all. Although his work on RiP might just be among the ten finest lead works in metal. I've went through a Chastain phase as well but this was more of a HEAVY METAL with awesome female vocals (LEATHER FOR EVER <3 ) phase rather than a shredder phase.

Ι really like Buckethead but I've only heard a fraction of his work - but that RULES. I say fraction of course but in reality it's about twice the material I've heard from Becker, so... Anyway, he rules too. 

Tafolla to me is more his work with Jag Panzer (The Fourth Judgement in particular with the MONSTER solos) and less so his infra-blue album (which is good). 

Tony McAlpine is OK but I always thought was one step down from the above players. 
The Great KAT, hahahaha. I like more her crazy persona than her music, although Worship Me Or Die I thought had its funny moments. Years later I was sent her Guitar Goddess EP (first promo I ever received!) and it was beyond terrible, I mean excruciatingly bad. First promo ever and I did not write a review for it.

Joe Stump is the only one I haven't sat down to listen to, he always gave me a Michael Angelo vibe and one Michael Angelo type of shredder is more than enough.

Paul Gilbert should have been on this list. GREAT player, great solo albums, great albums with Racer X and the mainstream success with Mr. Big. Ritchie Kotzen is also a very diverse and interesting player and Nuno Bittencourt of Extreme has some CRAZY COOL stuff.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Vic Vic wrote:

Nuno Bittencourt of Extreme has some CRAZY COOL stuff.

Can't believe I forgot him. I guess when I made this list I was only thinking of solo shredders, but solo or not, he's one of my favorites.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic