MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Death Metal Kill Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 35>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 1:08pm
I've been listening to a lot of Dying Fetus over the last 2 weeks so I could review the new Relapse Reissues. Is anyone here a fan of them?

I've only revisited their first 2 full-lengths, an EP, and a compilation... I wasn't nearly as impressed as most other people are by those albums. Ermm (Although I do really enjoy Grotesque Impalement, the EP).
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 9:13am
I just listened to Infatuation with Malevolence last night. I�m mostly familiar with War of Attrition though. I�ve listened to most of their albums at least once, but that hasn�t turned me into a fan. I�ll give them another shot ( I have also received the same promos as you Jeff) and write some reviews but  this is usually not my favorite type of death metal. I think their music is seriously lacking memorability and hooks. Lots of impressive musicianship on display though. These guys can play, that�s for sure.

Most reviews I�ve read points towards Destroy the Opposition as the band�s best album.

Edited by UMUR - 07 Mar 2011 at 9:22am
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 9:39am
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

I've been listening to a lot of Dying Fetus over the last 2 weeks so I could review the new Relapse Reissues. Is anyone here a fan of them?

I've only revisited their first 2 full-lengths, an EP, and a compilation... I wasn't nearly as impressed as most other people are by those albums. Ermm (Although I do really enjoy Grotesque Impalement, the EP).

My only exposure to Dying Fetus is with Stop at Nothing and War of Attrition, and a few songs on the album that followed.  I also saw them live (and was impressed enough to buy a t-shirt).  I think I share a similar view with Jonas.  Its nice and heavy and technical, but I don't find myself remembering some of the finer details after listening to them.

I still need to check out some of their earlier material.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I just listened to Infatuation with Malevolence last night. I�m mostly familiar with War of Attrition though. I�ve listened to most of their albums at least once, but that hasn�t turned me into a fan. I�ll give them another shot ( I have also received the same promos as you Jeff) and write some reviews but  this is usually not my favorite type of death metal. I think their music is seriously lacking memorability and hooks. Lots of impressive musicianship on display though. These guys can play, that�s for sure.

Most reviews I�ve read points towards Destroy the Opposition as the band�s best album.

That's my issue as well. I do find myself enjoying some of their music while I'm listening to it, but it's severely lacking in memorable riffs. The musicians in that band are spectacular, though! Clap

I still have to see if some of their later albums will have a bigger impact on me.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 4:11pm
Damn... This album is AWESOME!

Edited by J-Man - 07 Mar 2011 at 4:12pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 3:55am
I�ve just posted a review of this "classic" album:
.. Album Cover
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/false--review.aspx?id=238429

Anyone know this beast?
TheCroust View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCroust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Originally posted by 7997ism 7997ism wrote:

Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

I've really got to make a point of going through this thread and checking this stuff out.  Probably old-school death metal is my favorite of all old-school metal. 
whats some of your fav old school dm bands

Nothing too fancy: Death (Human and later), Carcass, Napalm Death, Cannibal Corpse, Suffocation (though I only own Pierced, but will get more).

Slate me if I'm being pedantic, but aren't Napalm Death, Bolt Thrower and Carcass grindcore bands? Certainly ND have very different content, and frequently sound, to most death metal bands I know of, more punk than metal (can I do the sub-genre pedantry thing on here?). Probably my favourite heavy band.
Apparently Dying Fetus are, or were, politically motivated, and looking at some of their lyrics this seems to be the case, however I found it kind of hard to work out in which direction they lean. Think one of them's in Misery Index now, who absolutely kick ass (not sure if they're DM though), or am I mistaken?

Been enjoying Hate Eternal's stuff recently, heavy duty.

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 1:40pm
I think both Napalm Death, Carcass and to some degree Bolt Thrower started out as grindcore acts on their very early releases, but quickly adopted death metal elements to their sound. Napalm Death�s post "From Enslavement..." releases are with the exception of Harmony Corruption, Fear Emptiness Despair, Diatribes, Inside the Torn Apart and Words From the Exit Wound, a death metal/ grindcore hybrid that could sit in grindcore as well as in death metal. That�s IMOSmile.

Bolt Thrower�s very early releases had hints of Grindcore but they completely lost the grindcore sound on Warmaster and onwards.

Carcass played grindcore only on the first two releases and Symphonies could even be said to be a death metal/ grindcore hybrid instead of a full grindcore album if you ask me.

...and ND is also one of my favorites. Such a great actHeadbanger
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 1:41pm
^I can�t say I have very high thoughts about Hate Eternal. I think their music is rather monotone and seriously lack memorable hooks. I�ve reviewed a couple of the albums a while back, but I was not impressed. They are of course extremely skilled musicians.
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 2:56pm
Imma just gunna leave this here 
because, i love it

Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Me, myself and ICool

Edited by SKwid - 08 Apr 2011 at 3:12pm

TheCroust View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCroust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 6:08pm

^I can�t say I have very high thoughts about Hate Eternal. I think their music is rather monotone and seriously lack memorable hooks. I�ve reviewed a couple of the albums a while back, but I was not impressed. They are of course extremely skilled musicians.

I know what you mean, he does tend to use the same musical devices a lot. I happen like it, although I think I preferred them when Derek Roddy was drumming, I really like his style. I must say I've never really thought of death metal having 'memorable hooks', but I suspect I'll start noticing them now you've said it.

Here's another band I like, more melodic than what I usually go for but amazing nonetheless

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 8:25am
I�ve reviewed both The Faceless albums for Prog Archives:

I much prefer the second one, which is actually one of the greater technical death metal album released in the last 10 years IMO.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 10:06am
.. Album Cover
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/abysmal-dawn--leveling-the-plane-of-existence.aspx

What a great death metal album with a technical twist. I�ve really been enjoying this one in the last couple of days.
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by TheCroust TheCroust wrote:

I know what you mean, he does tend to use the same musical devices a lot. I happen like it, although I think I preferred them when Derek Roddy was drumming, I really like his style. I must say I've never really thought of death metal having 'memorable hooks', but I suspect I'll start noticing them now you've said it.

Here's another band I like, more melodic than what I usually go for but amazing nonetheless

I <3 The Faceless Smile

The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 7:25pm

.. Album Cover
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/abysmal-dawn--leveling-the-plane-of-existence.aspx

What a great death metal album with a technical twist. I�ve really been enjoying this one in the last couple of days.

I enjoyed this one, too. Thumbs Up

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 9:02am
^Yeah it�s not like it�s spectacular or unique in any way, but it�s really a great album with some excellent death metal with some tech tendencies. I�ve written a review that will be posted in the coming weeks.
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 3:25pm

^Yeah it�s not like it�s spectacular or unique in any way, but it�s really a great album with some excellent death metal with some tech tendencies. I�ve written a review that will be posted in the coming weeks.
i guess i shall have to give it a listen then

The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by SKwid SKwid wrote:

That, and the new Obscura album if you don't have it already.

SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by The Block The Block wrote:

Originally posted by SKwid SKwid wrote:

That, and the new Obscura album if you don't have it already.
ive given it a once-over, and i really like it, not sure why i haven't listened to the whole thing yetTongue

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 5:36pm
I really ought to listen to more DM, though I only recently started to properly get into the genre. I own hardly any DM albums that aren't melo-death or Opeth. Two current favourites though:

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 35>
  Share Topic