MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Death Metal Kill Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 35>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 4:55am
^I�m sure you�re right. I don�t have high expectations either.
goskoski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goskoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 7:14pm
How do you like Monstrosity, Morgoth, and Benediction?
I also like Hypocrisy and the demo and debut of Theatre of Tragedy.

goskoski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goskoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 7:43pm
Would you classify the following as death metal?

Protector - Golem

Kataclysm - Sorcery

Edited by UMUR - 03 Feb 2011 at 2:56pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 2:57pm
^absolutelyThumbs Up
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by goskoski goskoski wrote:

How do you like Monstrosity, Morgoth, and Benediction?
I also like Hypocrisy and the demo and debut of Theatre of Tragedy.

I�ve only listened to Imperial Doom by Monstrosity and it never did much for me. I used to be quite a big fan of Benediction, especially The Grand Leveller, but again they are one of the death metal acts from my youth I don�t really listen to anymore.

Morgoth on the other hand is one of my favorites. The two EPs, Cursed and especially Odium, which I think is one of the most unique death metal albums out there. Just wait until I get a chance to review that one. I love the post-apocalyptic atmosphere of the album.

I know I�m in the minority here but I actually like Feel Sorry for the Fanatic too. It�s not really death metal though. Killing Joke influenced metal is a more fitting description:

Oh damn I can�t seem to stop so here Sold Babtism from Cursed too:

Edited by UMUR - 03 Feb 2011 at 3:17pm
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I was quite the big Deicide fan back in the early nineties. I really liked the debut and still do to some extent. I remember when Legion was released too. I didn�t like it as much as the debut but I still enjoyed that one too. I saw Deicide on that tour and I gotta tell you that Glen Benton is probably one of the most unsympathetic frontmen I�ve ever witnessed. He ordered the crowd to beat up a poor guy who was wearing a t-shirt with a cross...and they did. Very nasty behaviour IMOErmm.

From Legion and onwards the albums have just declined in quality IMO, and today I find Deicide rather irrelevant. The first three albums are still worth getting though. All "Classics".

Wow, that's a really awful story. Unhappy I'm not religious myself, but treatment like that is just awful IMO. I'm somewhat hopeful for the new Deicide... I have a feeling it will be competant death metal, but nothing special or out-of-the-ordinary.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
angelmk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelmk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 8:45am
new Deicide didn't click on me, lack of ideas maybe, generic sound,  Scars of the Crucifix is my fave of the past few albums 
www.last.fm/user/angelmk
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 8:53am
Originally posted by angelmk angelmk wrote:

new Deicide didn't click on me, lack of ideas maybe, generic sound,  Scars of the Crucifix is my fave of the past few albums 

I have only heard two songs from the new album.Maybe you're right.Scars of the crucifix is a very good album.Glen Benton does his best vocals there.But its time limit is only 29:32.
Inexistence is the true normality.
7997ism View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7997ism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 5:56pm
new decide was boring it put me to sleep. only good thing was the solos but everything else was such a typical boring sound
7997ism View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7997ism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 5:41am
what are some people's favorite osdm albums
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 7:21am
I�m not sure. There are so many great albums in that genre and also a few styles to take into consideration ( the Swedish style, the more technical US death metal style and so forth).

One of my favorites is.
.. Album Cover
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by 7997ism 7997ism wrote:

what are some people's favorite osdm albums

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 10:02pm

Headbanger
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 10:04pm

^I�m sure you�re right. I don�t have high expectations either.

I actually quite enjoyed the new Deicide album. Nothing Earth-shattering but an above-average album with plenty of excellent solos and top-notch musicians. Thumbs Up
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 4:13am
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:50am
(Not really on topic of old school but...)

This one's been slowly sinking in.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 2:57pm

.. Album Cover

You know, that album is really awesome! I can't believe I only gave that 3.5 stars the first time around... it's at least a 4-4.5 nowadays for me. Clap I guess my ears were still a bit virgin when I first wrote that review on PA! LOL
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

.. Album Cover

You know, that album is really awesome! I can't believe I only gave that 3.5 stars the first time around... it's at least a 4-4.5 nowadays for me. Clap I guess my ears were still a bit virgin when I first wrote that review on PA! LOL

Listened to that the other day and it is awesome!!Headbanger

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 4:50pm
Dan Swano is such a badass it should be illegal... there was an announcement from him that he's working on a monster epic concept album with many guests in the vein of Crimson about a year ago. I'm still eagerly awaiting further developments on that. Big smile
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 5:26pm
Ooohhh sounds interesting Cool

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 35>
  Share Topic