MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Death Metal Kill Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 34>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 11:47am
Slam death is usually not my thing, but some of the bands which inspired the genre like Suffocation and Dying Fetus are among my favorite death metal acts.
LightningRider View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LightningRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Slam death is usually not my thing, but some of the bands which inspired the genre like Suffocation and Dying Fetus are among my favorite death metal acts.

Yep.  Most of it I don't even like.  7 H.Target is the closest thing to Suffocation I can find, but they're still not even in the same league as Suffocation.  I'm just hoping their new album stays more true to the roots.  But most of the slam stuff is either decent or mediocre.

So if anybody has any acts in slam death that are "different" or "weird" please let me know.  I may or may not check them out.
And the Trogdor comes in the NIIIIGHT!
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 5:35am
My most eagerly anticipated album of 2022 comes on 18th Feb...

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 5:57am
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

My most eagerly anticipated album of 2022 comes on 18th Feb...

Well the cover artwork has some similarities to the iconic debut album, so I´m excited too. I like Immolation and respect them immensely, but I must admit that it´s not a band I listen to much at home and if I do it´s usually the debut that I put on.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 5:59am
I can highly recommend the live Suffocation live album which features Frank Mullen´s last performance with the band. I have a review in backlog which will be posted in the next couple of weeks:

SUFFOCATION - Live in North America cover

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/suffocation/live-in-north-america(live)

I´m usually not that interested in death metal live recordings, but this one is well worth your time.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 6:45am
^ I've heard it and thought it was great. On my list to buy.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 7:18am
I love how Frank is in command of the performance and the audience. What a legend. He will be sorely missed. Fortunately I had the honor of seing him play with Suffocation in 2008, and it was an eye opening experience for me. Growing up and being a big death metal fan in the early 90s I knew about Suffocation, but it was not an act I listened to much, but after seing Suffocation with Frank in 2008 my view and interest in Suffocation grew, and I´ve listened to and have reviewed all their releases since, and I consider myself a big fan today....better late than never Tongue.

I´ve seen them twice since without Frank, and they are still an incredibly well playing band delivering a powerful performance, so they are still a highly recommendable live act. In fact I have tickets to see them in March, if they don´t cancel because of the Corona situation.

Edited by UMUR - 11 Dec 2021 at 9:54am
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 8:52am
I've only seen them the once, not with Frank, but still great. 
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 3:39am
I´ve just discovered Wombbath. I don´t know why I never heard of them in the 90s, but I can strongly recommend listening to their 1993 album:
WOMBBATH - Internal Caustic Torments cover
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/wombbath/internal-caustic-torments

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 4:52pm
Familiar with the name, but don't remember the music.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 4:57pm
^^ They've never really clicked with me until their new album came out which I thought was a good 3.5 stars. In theory I should love them.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 7:37am
To breathe a bit of life into this thread here's a new one that all lovers of crushing old school death metal should like.

Undeath - It's Time... to rise from The Grave

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 12:58am
I had a listen to Fleshcrawl - Descend into the Absurd again the other day:
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/fleshcrawl/descend-into-the-absurd
FLESHCRAWL - Descend Into the Absurd cover

...and it is still an album which is high on my list of old school death metal releases. The combination of ultra slow death/doom parts and faster old school death metal may sound a little awkward to some, but it´s the anarchistic nature of the product which somehow speaks to me.

Fleshcrawl are interesting, as this is their only album I enjoy. The remaining part of their discography somehow sunk into cloning Dismember again and again. I´m not sure why they didn´t continue this awesome sound.

Edited by UMUR - 05 Jun 2022 at 12:59am
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 4:27am
^ I can't even remember if I've ever listened to them. Clearly if I did they left no lasting impact. I'm curious now though so will check that album out.

Edited by Nightfly - 11 Jun 2022 at 4:28am
BitterJalapeno View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Grunge/Post-grunge & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 5:32am
There's been quite a few really solid death metal albums this year so far.  I will post them one at a time and leave a week or two between each as to not saturate the thread.  First up:

Suppression - The Sorrow of Soul Through Suffering

Old school death at the core with a few touches of modern flair but nothing that should put off those who don't enjoy the dissonance.  The fretless bass is exceptionally good.  I bought it on Bandcamp but since then it has now also become available on Spotify.

Star baby, did you deep fry a piece of the Great Barrier Reef?
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 5:37am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I had a listen to Fleshcrawl - Descend into the Absurd again the other day:
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/fleshcrawl/descend-into-the-absurd
FLESHCRAWL - Descend Into the Absurd cover

...and it is still an album which is high on my list of old school death metal releases. The combination of ultra slow death/doom parts and faster old school death metal may sound a little awkward to some, but it´s the anarchistic nature of the product which somehow speaks to me.

Fleshcrawl are interesting, as this is their only album I enjoy. The remaining part of their discography somehow sunk into cloning Dismember again and again. I´m not sure why they didn´t continue this awesome sound.

VARIOUS ARTISTS (GENERAL) - Touch Of Death cover

I have this compilation, and it has two outstanding tracks - Fleshcrawl and Bathory. I've never been able to find any Fleshcrawl albums. I should really check them out.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2022 at 7:50am
Fans of Chris Reifert should enjoy this...

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2022 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Fans of Chris Reifert should enjoy this...

Thumbs Up
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 8:33am
Great old school death metal from Consumption...

CONSUMPTION - Necrotic Lust cover

Edited by Nightfly - 17 Sep 2022 at 8:34am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 9:49am
Thanks those are nice recommendations. Hadn´t heard of Static Abyss before, and I`m otherwise a pretty big Reifert fan.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 34>
  Share Topic