MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Death Metal Kill Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 34>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 8:24am
First impressions are very good...

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

First impressions are very good...

Not so well with me, at least compared to their last album, which is my favourite from them so far. Maybe it will open up with more listens though. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 2:18pm
^ I'd probably give it 3.5 - 4 star at the moment but I'll review it after a few more plays.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 8:08am
Stunning UK death metal...

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 8:13pm
I’m loving Tech Death a lot these days. Mind-blowing musicianship - getting much more technical than Prog in many ways.
Growl Vox are an acquired taste - can’t say I understand a lot of it, it’s even difficult to follow with a lyric sheet.
Very exciting music though. Hope to have a lot of fun here !!
Already recognise many of you from P.A. too !!

Edited by Tom Ozric - 20 Oct 2017 at 8:14pm
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 8:42am
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I’m loving Tech Death a lot these days. Mind-blowing musicianship - getting much more technical than Prog in many ways.
Growl Vox are an acquired taste - can’t say I understand a lot of it, it’s even difficult to follow with a lyric sheet.
Very exciting music though. Hope to have a lot of fun here !!
Already recognise many of you from P.A. too !!

Loads of great tech death though with some I find it's a case of style over substance whilst tecnically brilliant lacking memorable riifs.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 4:50am
For the record :
Yeah, I’ve been Prog for (virtually) all my life. Maiden for ever - I got onto Prog BECAUSE of Maiden (Tull, Nektar....)   Always dug Sabbath, Purple and Zepp. Budgie whip them all. Blah Blah. All the Canterbury things are embedded deep in my soul. Still love them dearly.
In the last few years, I’ve been warming to DM. I did get Opeth’s Damnation as soon as it appeared, coz a buddy said it’s great, mellow and with heaps of Mellotron !! So, I (eventually) got into Opeth. Growls do shock me. Then, I guess they’re supposed to. I’m getting used to them (4 years and counting...) but still very ‘select’ as to what I ‘connect’ with. I know little about Prog (just my delusions.....) and even less about Metal. Don’t crucify me if I ask dumb questions .......
Black Metal (apart from Krallice) gives me nightmares. Truly.
Love Thrash, I do think METALLICA are waaay overrated - my fave being Death Magnetic, even after all those years.   
Dunno - quiz me, recommend things, whatever. Don’t laugh.....
I did catch Meshuggah earlier this year, support band being Thy Art Is Murder, and it was a FANTASTIC experience - everyone on the same page, everyone enjoying themselves. Total bliss !!!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 1:08am
Shit. The band Suffocation are blowing me away...........I’m just a pile of pulpy mash after Effigy Of The Forbidden !! A pile of GOOD, pulpy mash............
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 8:03am

Shit. The band Suffocation are blowing me away...........I’m just a pile of pulpy mash after Effigy Of The Forbidden !! A pile of GOOD, pulpy mash............

Gotta go see em live!!!!. They kill on stage. Great technical precision and loads of brutal grooves. If you enjoy Suffocation I can highly recommed that you check out Dying Fetus. Start with this one:

DYING FETUS - Destroy the Opposition cover

But these artists are great too:

.. Album Cover

CRYPTOPSY - None So Vile cover

PYREXIA - System of the Animal cover

Edited by UMUR - 27 Oct 2017 at 8:07am
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 10:00am

Oh yes, Suffocation are great and Effigy Of The Forgotten was a great debut but also check out their later stuff which I think is even better in the main. My favourite release of their earlier phase is the Despise The Sun EP where every track is a killer.

If you like the tech stuff you should check out Nile, I think you may be blown away though Dying Fetus that Jonas recommends above like Suffocation have plenty of groove.

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/artist/nile

Edited by Nightfly - 27 Oct 2017 at 10:01am
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 4:40pm
^ Yes !! I LOVE Nile. Karl Sanders and Co. have fully impressed me.
Jonas, I listened to the Cryptosy album you’ve suggested - I’m not sold on Lord Worm’s growling - perhaps too ‘neanderthal’ for my liking ?? Music was great though. I guess I’m a bit of a fuss-pot with the sounds of growl vox. I take it as another ‘instrument’ as such, adding a vocal intensity to match the musical feast, but I am still a bit uncomfortable with them

Edited by Tom Ozric - 27 Oct 2017 at 7:54pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 12:14am
^LOL yeah they take som getting used to. I´m pretty picky when it comes to death metal growlig myself. Especially if they are over processed (put through too many effects). Arch Enemy is the prime example of horrible death metal vocals...put though way too many effects.

...of course I wouldn´t put it as bluntly as that in a review, but I definitely wouldn´t be praising the vocals either, if they didn´t stand out in a positive way.

Some death metal vocals detract the quality of the music, some are just there (that´s most cases IMO), and some really provides the music wth an extra dimension (the few).

To my ears the tendency is that many of the "old school" death metal vocalist like John Tardy, Chuck Schuldiner, and Marc Grewe had their own sound, while many contemporary artists sound a lot like either each other or like vocalists who have come before them. It´s very seldom I hear a new death metal release, featuring what I would characterize as distinct sounding vocals. Those days are over.

Edited by UMUR - 28 Oct 2017 at 12:21am
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 1:07am
Take into consideration that Arch Enemy have a female vocalist. I do find women growlers fascinating    (Don’t take that the wrong way......).
Also, when I tell / show foks an example of, say, Nile, they look at me as if I’m some sort of fuckwit
You really can’t justify why you like something, you just do. I think eggs are disgusting, and I usually give folks who eat eggs in my presence, the same ‘your a fuckwit’ look
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 1:24am

Take into consideration that Arch Enemy have a female vocalist. I do find women growlers fascinating    (Don’t take that the wrong way......).
Also, when I tell / show foks an example of, say, Nile, they look at me as if I’m some sort of fuckwit
You really can’t justify why you like something, you just do. I think eggs are disgusting, and I usually give folks who eat eggs in my presence, the same ‘your a fuckwit’ look

Most of the posters on here are American or European, so they won't understand that growler reference. I'm a Kiwi, so I do.WinkLOL

Just thinking of proggy death metal for ya. Here's some old school stuff. Disharmonic Orchestra:

Atheist (not the correct artwork, but the right song):

Atrocity (not great quality):

Tiamat:

Save
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 2:22am
I got a clear vinyl re-issue of that Atheist album. Top-shelf stuff !!
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 4:18pm
This is really  very good blending prog, melodic and tech death.

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 9:35am
They still deliver...

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

They still deliver...

I know. I said so last week.Wink
Save
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 6:48pm
Just got the latest Suffocation LP (it’s in translucent Pale Blue colour, looks great)....Of The Dark Light. Sounding really good, Mullen has excellent, UNDERSTANDABLE vocals. I’m really digging this. Guitarist Hobbs is just incredible !
Why has it taken me so long to get around to this stuff ??   
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 4:04pm
Very good!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 34>
  Share Topic