MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steve Lukather - hes impact on metal guitar.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steve Lukather - hes impact on metal guitar.
    Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 5:02pm
i have in a very long time pondered on this thought, becouse i have been following Toto forever and also been paying attention to Lukes playing over the years from 78 through the 80s, 90s, 00s, and 10s. But i have notised very early on from my listening, that how spessial placement Luke has in the development and evolution of electric guitar. As a guitarist from mid 70s and also how he started out (focus on session), combined with the usual influence of one in mid 70s. Luke as a guitarist has the usual suspects in hes guitar style, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, George Harrison, Clapton, but Lukather also has also been touched by the gracefullness of David Gilmoure, he is also later on not shy of influence from Larry Carlton, Holdsworth, DiMeola, Howe and Hackett the fusion and prog. So 30% of Lukes style is of 60s and 70s rock and fusion. In a way he have mixed that with also the early influence of heavy rock and also from the time late 70s and start of the 80s he and possibly Eddy Van Halen, were one of the few whom had this easy and fluid transition between, 70s hard rock and 80s shread. To me Lukather is one of the first sweep guitar technicians, I have heard and seen Luke doo the 90s prog metal sweep technique, in both hard rock songs and ballads. 

So my punchline is, are Lukather the first sweep technic guitarist or are there others whom have sweep picked before Luke?

I believe this ballad feature to me the first clear sweep technique solo, like in the Petrucci fassion. 

Edited by Balthamel - 29 Aug 2016 at 5:05pm
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 9:30pm
I think he was the only artist to ever rate an "L" rating in Kerrang! magazine.

For anyone unfamiliar with Kerrang!'s rating system (haven't read one in years, dunno if it's still the case) the ratings usually went from K to KKKKK. L is supposed to be the next level. Interestingly, they also gave someone a "J" rating once for being incredibly awful (might have been Jethro Tull?)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic