2 [28.57%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hated albums from well-respected bands
    Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 2:28pm
Thought this would be an interesting poll, here's some of the most hated albums from some of the most respected bands in metal. Happen to enjoy any of them? If so, what's your favorite. Or if you hate all of them, what's the least worst may be more appropriate. LOL

I personally really like Roots, and I find Dedicated to Chaos pretty decent. I know this is sacrilege, but I think St. Anger would be a pretty good album if it wasn't for the awful drum sound. 
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 2:56pm
Ugh...I think Forbidden is a turd of an album Dead
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 3:01pm
Virtual XI.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

...but I think St. Anger would be a pretty good album if it wasn't for the awful drum sound. 

There's that, and then there's the lack of solos, the dumb-arsed lyrics, and the poor riffs, but otherwise, nah, it's still shit.LOL
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 4:42pm
Whilst Cold Lake is Celtic Frost's weakest album I quite like it. Celtic Frost going commercial, relatively speaking, is still a long way from Poison. I also like Turbo and Roots quite a lot.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

...but I think St. Anger would be a pretty good album if it wasn't for the awful drum sound. 

There's that, and then there's the lack of solos, the dumb-arsed lyrics, and the poor riffs, but otherwise, nah, it's still shit.LOL

I find the guitar riffs to actually be pretty good, but yeah the lyrics are kind of dumb. I don't think it takes long to come up with something like "My lifestyle determines my deathstyle" LOL
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 11:31pm

I find the guitar riffs to actually be pretty good, but yeah the lyrics are kind of dumb. I don't think it takes long to come up with something like "My lifestyle determines my deathstyle" LOL

Or "tick, tick, tick, tock"LOL
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 11:33pm
I should have elaborated earlier. There are some ripping songs on Virtual XI. I love The Clansman, Como Estais Amigos... Actually, I like ALL of the songs. I think it's better than The X Factor.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 1:54am
I've always liked Helloween's Chameleon.

I also like Slaves and Masters (it's DP's weakest indeed, bringing JLT was not a great idea, it sounds like later day Rainbow, but Blackmore still saves the day, there's some nice guitar work on it), Risk (there are a couple of songs that are weak, I mean wtf was I'll be there?!) and Turbo.

Of all the albums I've heard from this poll, Dedicated to Chaos is by far the worst for me.

Happy that Paradise Lost - Host and Kreator - Endorama are not in the list, I like these two that usually get a lot of hate.

Edited by LittleBig - 29 Aug 2016 at 1:55am
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 9:46am
Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

Happy that Paradise Lost - Host and Kreator - Endorama are not in the list, I like these two that usually get a lot of hate.

I assume Endorama is an album that gets hate elsewhere, because on the site it has a 3.90, which I would say is far from hated. Tongue

Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 11:24am
I actually love Turbo. I also quite like Roots and God Hates Us All. Cold Lake is pretty enjoyable too although it doesn't hold a candle to Celtic Frost's other output. I also like St. Anger, probably because I tend to compare it to Load and ReLoad which I think are so fucking boring it hurts. Virtual XI, on the other hand, is an album I can't listen to in full. Apart from 'Futureal' and 'The Clansman', most of the songs on the album strike med as sub par and bordering on butt rock. I know that many of people like the album, so it's probably just me who's a douche. Likewise, Rogue en Vogue is unenjoyable for me to listen to, knowing how weak it is compared to Running Wild's 80s and early 90s output.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 2:55pm

I assume Endorama is an album that gets hate elsewhere, because on the site it has a 3.90, which I would say is far from hated. Tongue

It does get hate elsewhere. This place is a little bit like one of those tiny European city states which still exists, like Andorra or San Marino or Monaco, which still do things their own way and let the rest of the world get swept away by their own bullshit.Wink
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 1:53am

I meant elsewhere. I've never seen anyone complaining about them on MMA.
I did not know the Endorama rating on MMA though Embarrassed
Warthur View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 3:47am
I sneakily quite like Celtic Frost's Cold Lake. I agree that it's probably their weakest album, but a weak Celtic Frost album is still pretty good, and I found their take on glam metal to be nowhere near as cheesy as much of the rest of the subgenre.

Then again, it might not even be their most hated release. It's an infamous one, but there's an obscure little demo tape out there called Prototype which as I understand it was an abortive attempt by Celtic Frost to go nu metal. I haven't heard it - not many people even know it exists, it seems - but those who have heard it have really bad things to say about it.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 4:01am
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

I sneakily quite like Celtic Frost's Cold Lake. I agree that it's probably their weakest album, but a weak Celtic Frost album is still pretty good, and I found their take on glam metal to be nowhere near as cheesy as much of the rest of the subgenre.

Then again, it might not even be their most hated release. It's an infamous one, but there's an obscure little demo tape out there called Prototype which as I understand it was an abortive attempt by Celtic Frost to go nu metal. I haven't heard it - not many people even know it exists, it seems - but those who have heard it have really bad things to say about it.

I only heard Cold Lake for the first time in the past year or so, and I couldn't find too much wrong with it myself. Might have been different back in the day, but I didn't get into Celtic Frost until Vanity/Nemesis. Just your mentioning it means I now want to hear that Prototype thing, even just once.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 4:03am
Well, this was the first thing that came up on Youtube. Not flash...

Warthur View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 6:52am

I only heard Cold Lake for the first time in the past year or so, and I couldn't find too much wrong with it myself. Might have been different back in the day, but I didn't get into Celtic Frost until Vanity/Nemesis. Just your mentioning it means I now want to hear that Prototype thing, even just once.
I think you're right that Cold Lake probably feels more like a slap in the face if you were following the band at the time. Now we've got Vanity/Nemesis and Monotheist so we at least know that Cold Lake was just a momentary experimentation rather than a long-term direction for the band, but when it first came out it must have been pretty startling to see them abandon a sound they were great at in order to go after a sound which, at best, they were pretty competent at but not world-beaters like they were on more representative albums.

I guess it's a bit like Illud Divinum Insanus: what makes the album so alarming isn't just that it's bad, but that this might be Morbid Angel's direction going forward. The difference is that, like I said, I think Cold Lake isn't that bad of a glam metal album, whereas IDI I think is actually just plain bad even on judged on the terms of the industrial metal release it's trying to be.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic